Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Does anyone actually have a Smooth idle???

This is a discussion on Does anyone actually have a Smooth idle??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; also, make sure you clean the actual sensor on your TB. Sometimes the cleaning agents can leave a residue on ...

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

also, make sure you clean the actual sensor on your TB. Sometimes the cleaning agents can leave a residue on your sensor causing it to not work properly. That will give a wrong reading to the computer causing your engine to idle weird.

NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by Anwazi View Post
    My teacher tunes LS1's. He's been working with corvettes for 30+ years. He said the gap is 40-45. That's with a stock engine. They even come pregapped at 40. The coil on plugs are powerful so it would throw your timing off if the spark plug sparked too early because of the low 35 gap.

If there is one constant theme in this thread is that my Gap is off. So now im considering re-doing the Sparkplugs and re gapping them. I was looking at the sparkplug wires today and i noticed that this speed shop i took it to also removed the heat shields, could this become a problem in the future? should i get them back?

Im also going to pull out the Idle control sensor on the TB and double check it.

Its so strange though because in the morning it was acting up again but just now i filled up the tank before coming home and the idle was better, not smmoooth but better. Then when i turned off the A/C it got worse.

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Mine idles funky too 79,000 miles on it. I still have to do plugs and wires but cleaning the MAF seemed to help a bit.

When I had the MAF off i opened the TB just to look inside the intake and it looks like its full of crud and gummy oil. wasnt too impressed with that.

now greybat66

navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

These cars idle a little rough we have big cams compared to the cars of the 70 s and 80s.Its a muscle car not a luxury barge.

NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Alright...this is going to sound stupid but i tell it like it is. After looking at the engine today i noticed that i had left the lid a little loose. I tightened it down good to the way its supposed to be and all is better now. Ive been driving it around and its doing great. Thanks guys thanks for all of your help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information