Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Does anyone actually have a Smooth idle???

This is a discussion on Does anyone actually have a Smooth idle??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; mine has a rough idle also, even after i put iridium plugs, and msd wires, seafoam, and filter. But I ...

pewter
    01 ws6

mine has a rough idle also, even after i put iridium plugs, and msd wires, seafoam, and filter. But I do have a stupid question, when i put the plugs in....I didnt gap them because I was told that they were already gapped....should I pull them out and gap them? Cause I did check them to make sure they were gapped the same, but I cant remember what they were gapped at

rapter34
    mine is almost too smooth. Can't wait to get a cam in there here a little bump in it step.

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

my has a tiny bit of roughness...barely noticable ...but the tach stays the same the whole time..just feels a little funny...

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

Lightningmcqueen, I would look at my MAF. You have 70,000 miles on the car, and the K&N filter oil will dirty the MAF over a period of time and need to simply be cleaned.
    You need to change the gap of your plugs. They gap is too close causing a stumble, shake. Try about 0.49.

01Ls1WS6, yes, if I were you I would pull the plugs and re-gap each one. Some times the plugs do not have the correct gap, plus the factory gap is 60 I think. From what I have seen here on this site and what I am running, 0.49-0.55 is the best range. I am set at 0.49.
    2001WS6 T/A slp lid, smooth bellows, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Bosch+4, Vig 3200 stall, BM trans cooler, SLP 3" Y-pipe, 3" corsa catback, preditor custom tune by RWTD, 275/17BFG'S. 1976T/A 455-4spd-3:42

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

i was smooth till the ms3 found a new home

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

cool someone who actually lives in miami, maybe we can meet up somewhere shoot the shit and what not

NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98 View Post
    cool someone who actually lives in miami, maybe we can meet up somewhere shoot the shit and what not

Sounds good where in Miami do you live? the funny thing is that in 2 weeks im actually moving to Orlando LOL! If you want to meet up, lets!

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

just fine at idle here stock

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

i live off of 87th ave and miller

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Alright, here's the Update:

I had cleaned the TB a few weeks ago so that was nice and clean.
    Here is what the Maff Sensor looked like (I know its not a very good pic) amd it looked ok to me it didnt look to dirty but i shot it down with MAF Cleaner. There was some Debris on the screen and i took most of the debris off.

While it dried i inspected the lid only to find that there is some sort of tape put behind the rubber opening on the back of it (It doesnt look factory to me). When i moved it to see why it was there i noticed they hasdnt put the rubber in right and you could see through some of the gaps but i mean needle sized. So i pushed it down and managed to get most of it in where its supposed to be. I figure a good cure for this and good excuse is an SLP Lid. here is the pic by the way of that tape and where it is located:

After i put everything on back real tight ( which originally it wasnt as tight as it should be) i turned on the T/A and went for a ride and here is what happened:

I drove around for a good while to make sure the engine gets hot and i duplicate the condition in which the car stumbles. The response was better and when i would stop....finally no more stumbling (and i stopped alot and stayed in places for a while to see if this was really happening!) I was very happy and drove back home but here is the weird part: when i stopped at home and i put the car in Park the stumbling resumed. After throwing a fit i went out again to see if the stumbling was really back. When im in idle and in drive or reverse the stumbling is gone. Now it only happens when it is in Park. Though im not too fond of the stumbling in park and i will investigate it further and very happy to be rid of it on regular idle stops at lights or whatever on the road. but i wonder why that happens only in Park? that is so strange.

By the way while i was removing the intake stuff i noticed that there is a foam under the Intake Manifold on the passenger side and not on the driver side:

Passenger side

Drivers side

Is that supposed to be there?

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the help! you really have been a great help!!
    Last edited by LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN; 07-14-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ls1ws6 View Post
    mine has a rough idle also, even after i put iridium plugs, and msd wires, seafoam, and filter. But I do have a stupid question, when i put the plugs in....I didnt gap them because I was told that they were already gapped....should I pull them out and gap them? Cause I did check them to make sure they were gapped the same, but I cant remember what they were gapped at
    Yes! I would take them out and gap them all at 60 if your enine is stock.

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

Is it an LS6 intake? If it is, then yes that foam is supposed to be there and under the other side. I haven't looked under the LS1 but i would assume the LS1 has it too. you can probably find replacement foam somewhere.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN View Post
    I havent checked the EGR. Ill take a close look at it, as for the bellows they arent open anywhere it was one of the first things i checked.

That is appealing. I think id like to try that but how do i pull it off?
    you need tuner software.
    after my cam swap, i had my RPMs adjusted 3 times at idle
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Alright here is a new update.

Today when i went to work in my Trans Am it started to stumble just like it did before again. Later when i was going home and continued to stumble to the point where i thought it was going to turn off on me 3 times. This really sucks and im at a loss. I dont know what to do anymore.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

could maybe be a vaccum leak? Mine had a rough idle when I had one. But I could be way off and not have a clue what IM saying lol.

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post
    could maybe be a vaccum leak? Mine had a rough idle when I had one. But I could be way off and not have a clue what IM saying lol.
    Hey, i appreciate any clues or help! so thanks! What do i do to diagnose a vacuum leak if there is one?

pewter
    01 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN View Post
    Hey, i appreciate any clues or help! so thanks! What do i do to diagnose a vacuum leak if there is one?
    Inspect all the vacuum lines, you can use carb cleaner or starting fluid. Just spray a tad bit at every connection, if the rpms increase theirs a leak some where in that vicinty. Thats what i thought was wrong with mine, I hate vacuum lines.....its a tedious job

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

My idle has a little shake on the shifter... but that is normal for a 300+hp V8. I mean come on. You are driving a muscle car

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

My teacher tunes LS1's. He's been working with corvettes for 30+ years. He said the gap is 40-45. That's with a stock engine. They even come pregapped at 40. The coil on plugs are powerful so it would throw your timing off if the spark plug sparked too early because of the low 35 gap.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1_385hp_T/A View Post
    As smooth as my girls ass
    X2!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information