Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

dark blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

do i need a torque converter?

so i have a basic LS1 with a LS6 cam and LS6 intake manifold with 241 heads, do i need a torque converter for my car to work?! i have the 4L60E

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

okay last I remember your transmission wasn't working..

you never replied to give details about how it was acting, you just said the car 'won't budge' and now I guess you think your torque converter is broken? more than likely no, but a higher stall will compliment mods like yours..

edit: to ultimately answer your question.. a stock torque converter will have no problem with your mods and that is not the reason your car is broken..
    Last edited by justinmc978; 03-05-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    a stock torque converter will have no problem with your mods and that is not the reason your car is broken..
    +1, you should definitely get a good tq converter, if you ever get a bigger cam it will be somewhat of a neccessity. If not you'll at least enjoy driving it more with the stall.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

A high stall torque converter is always recommended for AT cars, if you want to be quicker with a small loss of gas MPG.

dark blue

yeah, the guy keeps saying he thinks it's the torque converter. the reason i need the car done now, is, well, i'm about to move to England and that's the car i'm taking. i can't take a broke car ya know? so i'm trying to figure out if the cam was even big enough to need a stall. i guess i'll just let him do his thing and we'll find out what it is. He said the car wouldn't move in any gears and didn't die when it was in drive.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_II View Post
    He said the car wouldn't move in any gears and didn't die when it was in drive.
    that helps a lot, so now we know if is mechanically broken, it is likely the torque converter or the input shaft.

very strange that it broke while you were modding the car, I would check into seeing if perhaps something electronic is awry.

dark blue

well, it is a brand new tranny and brand new torque converter. he said he thinks they sent a 4000 stall instead of the 3200 and my motor isn't pushing enough power to make the torque converter work.. idk anything about transmissions so i have no say/advice.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

well, it is a brand new tranny and brand new torque converter. he said he thinks they sent a 4000 stall instead of the 3200 and my motor isn't pushing enough power to make the torque converter work.. idk anything about transmissions so i have no say/advice.
    You're car should still move in gear. Something else is wrong. Sounds like the guy doing your work doesn't know much about transmissions either.

1998 Trans Am

a 4000 stall could work in a stock car. Knight's right; your mechanic is either dumb or he's playing you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....that explanation makes no sense and would make me seriously question your mechanics knowledge. Maybe at idle in gear the car wouldn't roll on it's own but as soon as you gave some throttle it would.

dark blue

well this motherf&$ker... looks like i need to make a call, thanks for the info guys!!

dark blue

well, come to find out it was the torque converter, apparently when i ordered it, they sent me a stall for the wrong transmission. FML. and i bought it like 4 months ago.

1998 Trans Am

wrong transmission meaning it is incompatable? or just sent you the wrong size stall?

you should have a receipt in your email when you gave them one, if they sent you the wrong item they have to replace it.

dark blue

they sent a torque converter NOT for my transmission, and i bought it so long ago i don't even have the slightest idea who it was from. i'm just going to buy a new one and cut my losses. good news is, regardless, it will be running on the streets this weekend! after 6 months of sitting. i'm looking at the volant cold air intake, underdrive pulley, slp thermostat, and i'm debating getting the TRAK cam, but then i'll have to tune it and i don't live near a dyno.

1998 Trans Am

they sent a torque converter NOT for my transmission, and i bought it so long ago i don't even have the slightest idea who it was from. i'm just going to buy a new one and cut my losses. good news is, regardless, it will be running on the streets this weekend! after 6 months of sitting. i'm looking at the volant cold air intake, underdrive pulley, slp thermostat, and i'm debating getting the TRAK cam, but then i'll have to tune it and i don't live near a dyno.
    if you somehow haven't heard, you have now:

http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/services2.htm

you send your PCM and mod information (like cam specs etc.) to him by mail and he does the rest...

If you already swapped to an LS6 intake and LS6 cam, you'll need to tune it anyway.
    A stall converter generally makes a tune necessary as well, as it will set of engine misfire codes.

So I think you are looking at a tune anyway, whether you do a TRAK cam or not,,, or whatever that is.

1998 Trans Am

^true

if you do end up getting that new stall you'll need a transmission cooler to prevent premature wear,

as a sidenote, I would go bigger than the 3200 you originally ordered, maybe 3400 or 3600, you'll be happier you did.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you already swapped to an LS6 intake and LS6 cam, you'll need to tune it anyway.
    A stall converter generally makes a tune necessary as well, as it will set of engine misfire codes.

So I think you are looking at a tune anyway, whether you do a TRAK cam or not,,, or whatever that is.
    Isn't that a "3/4 racing cam"? You know, the cam is only long enough for 6 of the 8 cylinders.

(I've never heard of a track cam either.)

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Isn't that a "3/4 racing cam"? You know, the cam is only long enough for 6 of the 8 cylinders.

(I've never heard of a track cam either.)
    thought that was just old man slang for an agressive, barely streetable cam.

dark blue

99-TR-TRAK Thunder Racing Custom "TRAK" Camshaft - 231/234-112

i don't want something so big just cause i'm going to be driving it in England for the next 3 years. i already have the torque converter cooler and all that equipment. just need the replacement.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 03-08-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor link.

Thread Information