Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Disabling Running Lights

Hi, I Have A 02 Trans Am Ws6 And Have Had To Replace My Running Light Lenses A Couple Of Times And The Sockets Which Run $70.00 Each Side. I See Some Of You Posted The Ones From Autozone Work. I Want To Disable My Running Lights. It Seems Like They Crack When You Go To A Car Wash And The Lenses Are So Hot And When The Cold Water Hits The Lenses They Crack. This Lets Water In Ruining The Sockets. Does Anyone Know How To Disable The Running Lights????

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Please Help!!! I Guess I Did Not Post Correctly. Does Anyone Know How To Disable The Running Lights????????????

black trans am

im gessing buy a diffrent car..lol

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

that didnt help much... you could cut one of the three wires that supplies power to the driving lights.. so just your turn signals would work. I thought about doing this so I could hide from the cops better.. you know AND USE ELECTRICAL SOCKET GREASE(dielectric). I have the exact same problem and i havent replaced my lenses yet. Laser washes eat lights.. I got bitched at for going to them in a past thread. haha.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I maybe wrong but if you do that you will not be able to use your turn signals????

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

if the switch that activates them is in the Emergency Brake Handle... then Look there... for the solution... no Switch... no Lights...No Problem...

(that's just me using logic)

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

yeah those auto washes are just plain bad for our cars. ive heard too many times someones lights have flooded or cracked b/c of those things. plus those high pressure ones can mess up your paint after a while. my brother took his 04 tiburon to one once and it ripped off a panel around his mirror and peeled paint off his front bumper.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Ok. The socket has three wires. Two postive and one ground. In theory... (I havent did this mod yet) One is for the turn signals and one is for the running lights(Daytime) Disable one of those postive wires and it should kill em. Use taped up butt connectors so they are easily turned back to stock..

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

One of three will disable the bomb. The other two.... Ehhh...

black
    2002 trans am

just hook it to a toggle switch..

only info i got..

when you cut one of those 3 wires and its supposed to turn the day time lights off will the head lights come on when you manually turn the knob?

BLACK
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Hey Guys, Thanks For All Your Info. I Would Like To Clarify Myself. I Have Already Replaced Both Running Lights And The Sockets. It Cost Me A Pretty Pennie. I Am Asking If There Is Anyone Out There That Knows How To Disable The Running Lights. I Have Found Out That There Are Two Ground Wires And One Live Wire Going To The Lights. I Cut Two Of The Three Wires Meaning The Two Ground Wires And All It Did Was Dim The Running Lights. The Reason I Want To Disable;e The Front Running Lights Like I Am Sure Most Of You Want To Is Because They Run So Hot When You Wash Your Car Or Water Hits The Lenses They Crack. If Anyone Knows How They Can Help Please Respond. Thanks To All Of You Who Have Replied To This Post. Thanks,mike

black trans am

well as as i know ther shuld be to hot wires and one ground .. one hot for high on the bulb for night and trun.. 2 low on the bulb day time.. thats as i know .. not sure.. but if u where to cut one thge other may pick up a low voltage drop wich in trun could trun thr high on at all times ther for making ur problem worse.. i also would like to trun them off.. i know my 95 firebird v6 does not have drls do the late 4gen firebirds have drls as all times or is it just the v8s i think the 93-95s only the v8s had them. but a assload things where changed in mid year of 95.. like dumb stuff such as in first half of 95 they used a diffrent power windo reg.. wich was the same just the thing has the silders on diffrent sids.. i found that out the hard way any who if find a way try it and let me know

black
    2002 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEY'S 2002 TA View Post
    Hey Guys, Thanks For All Your Info. I Would Like To Clarify Myself. I Have Already Replaced Both Running Lights And The Sockets. It Cost Me A Pretty Pennie. I Am Asking If There Is Anyone Out There That Knows How To Disable The Running Lights. I Have Found Out That There Are Two Ground Wires And One Live Wire Going To The Lights. I Cut Two Of The Three Wires Meaning The Two Ground Wires And All It Did Was Dim The Running Lights. The Reason I Want To Disable;e The Front Running Lights Like I Am Sure Most Of You Want To Is Because They Run So Hot When You Wash Your Car Or Water Hits The Lenses They Crack. If Anyone Knows How They Can Help Please Respond. Thanks To All Of You Who Have Replied To This Post. Thanks,mike
    i think everyone is fimiliar with the problem....

i just by bulbs replace every 3 months...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

in retrospect... I would like to point out the fact, that Automatic Car Washes are BAD for Paint... and cause many scratches... so why go in one anyways?... specially if you know it's gonna cause problems like the one with the lights...

I'd say... find somewhere were you can hand wash your car... if you can't do it at home... and avoid problems

black
    2002 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    in retrospect... I would like to point out the fact, that Automatic Car Washes are BAD for Paint... and cause many scratches... so why go in one anyways?... specially if you know it's gonna cause problems like the one with the lights...

I'd say... find somewhere were you can hand wash your car... if you can't do it at home... and avoid problems
    hand washing is actaully worse...
    if u hand wash it clean the rag after everystroke...
    when u wipe ur hand across it it drags dirt and smecks of sand across...power washer just blows it off...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

OK!!!! Im not really sure I should do this but who cares im not a student anymore...

look for a site called on demand 5 by mitchells. login is ohioatc password chevy304

look up your car... and click the repair section

you might need a free downloadable abobe viewer.. it will download... wait heres a link.. they have the full exterior lighting diagram and everything else... i didnt give out that password btw..

http://www.ondemand5.com/

go to member login

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I found the following information from the link below. Thought it would be really helpful and looks fairly simple (and reversible).

Disable Auto Head Light and Day Running Lights

Disabling the Day Running lights and the Auto Headlight on feature is quite an easy mod and can be reversed just as easy. This mod takes approx. 10 min. and all the tools needed are a socket set.

1. Lift the trim plate from around the radio and climate control panel. No tools are needed as it is held on by pressure clips. Set it aside.
    2. Take out the four hex screws holding in the radio in. (Note) You don’t need to disconnect the battery for this operation BUT if you do, make sure you know the code for your radio if it is enabled. You will need it to ensure your radio operates after putting it back in.
    3. Move the radio aside and look into the dash. In the upper right corner on the firewall you will see a small black box with two wire harnesses attached to it (about the size of a pack of camels).
    4. Lift the box in an upward motion, it’s on a slide clip. Bring the box out of the dash, there is plenty of wire to manage easily. Disconnect the wire harness with the BLUE wire in it, just let it hang out of the way. THAT’S IT!
    5. Re-install the wire box, radio and faceplate.

http://members.tripod.com/bpador/modinstruction.html

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I found the following information from the link below. Thought it would be really helpful and looks fairly simple (and reversible).

Disable Auto Head Light and Day Running Lights

Disabling the Day Running lights and the Auto Headlight on feature is quite an easy mod and can be reversed just as easy. This mod takes approx. 10 min. and all the tools needed are a socket set.

1. Lift the trim plate from around the radio and climate control panel. No tools are needed as it is held on by pressure clips. Set it aside.
    2. Take out the four hex screws holding in the radio in. (Note) You don’t need to disconnect the battery for this operation BUT if you do, make sure you know the code for your radio if it is enabled. You will need it to ensure your radio operates after putting it back in.
    3. Move the radio aside and look into the dash. In the upper right corner on the firewall you will see a small black box with two wire harnesses attached to it (about the size of a pack of camels).
    4. Lift the box in an upward motion, it’s on a slide clip. Bring the box out of the dash, there is plenty of wire to manage easily. Disconnect the wire harness with the BLUE wire in it, just let it hang out of the way. THAT’S IT!
    5. Re-install the wire box, radio and faceplate.

http://members.tripod.com/bpador/modinstruction.html
    wow man, tha'ts awsome information!... now I can actually show off the Halo's.... without the auto. Headlights kicking in... lol
    Mods: SLP Air Lid w/ KN, Free-Mods, LS6 Manifold, Magnaflow, Headers, EFILive
    Visuals: Angel eyes, rear eurolights and T/A rims
    Suspension: Eibach ProKit, UMI Adj. Panhard, SFC's, LCA Relocation brakets, KYB AGX shocks

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevro...28/1999/23674/

Last of the Breed Pewter02Formula's Avatar

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Firebird Formula

Is this a problem with T/As primarily? I have a Formula and I go to auto-washes all the time. I still have the original lenses (the round ones).

Also, if you go to a touchless auto-wash and it rips off paint or a panel, that's shoddy construction or paintwork. Not the washer's fault. And I have never seen my car scratched by an auto-washer, so I don't buy that...
    2002 Firebird Formula
    Pewter Metallic | Ebony cloth
    K&N filter | Magnaflow | Eurolights Xenon kit | Clear LED Side Markers

Thread Information