Thread: Dilemma

98T/Aformula

Dilemma

I ordered some Nitto DRs for the T/A about two weeks ago and they finely came in today, so I went to the tire store to get them put on and come to find out there the wrong size, I have a 16 inch rim and they are for a 17 inch rim, so I had the guy order the right size but come to find out they are a lower profile and my back end will sit a 1/4 of an inch lower now. Now I came home and started thinking maybe I should just order two new 17 inch rims and keep be able to swap out the DRs with the street tires whenever I want. The T/A isnt my Daylie driver so I would probably keep the DRs on most of the time. Is there any draw back to running a bigger rim and tire on your car, like how will it effect the handling, or should I just keep the stock rim and let my car sit a little bit lower in the back ? Let me know what you guys think before I go and spend an extra 500 bucks on rims...Thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Get the bigger rims then go 315/35 17 on the Nitto!

Currahee Performance pilot_bandit's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I agree...go with the 17s. I actually have 17 on front and 18s on rear of my 02 WS6. They are Z06 rims. 295 35 18 fit well on mine...but bigger rims will look better on yours

98T/Aformula
    I just dont have to much money to spend right now seeing how im 18 with a part time job and full time student, so the 275 Nittos are going to have to do for now because I have already bought them but it looks like I can get my same rim in a 17 I think there called a ZR1 or something they still look really good so im not to worried with up grading all four rims just wnat to make sure if I spend the money its going to be worth it.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

go with the 17s, wont effect handling. keep the DRs on all the time if the car isnt ur daily driver. sounds like u cant do the tire change urself *not being mean!* so dont bother with switching from DRs to street tires. the ZRs are nice, and a 17 would look good on ur car.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Just make sure your front and rear tires are the same height. If not, they'll cause ABS and TCS issues. There's a thread in the wheel and tire section that lists common tire sizes and heights.

98T/Aformula
    Quote Originally Posted by imflyn View Post
    Just make sure your front and rear tires are the same height. If not, they'll cause ABS and TCS issues. There's a thread in the wheel and tire section that lists common tire sizes and heights.
    I looked and I will be fine I have 16/245s in the front and am going to be putting on 17/275s in the back should be here on tuesday thanks for all the help !

Currahee Performance pilot_bandit's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Dont forget to post up when you get those wheels on. I wanna see this beast!

Thread Information