2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Difference in Transmissions

Hi everyone:

New here but been lurking for years. I had a 95 LT1 Trans Am and I loved it. I currently still own my 65 Mustang. I also have a 91 Mustang GT and a 97 Stang GT. The time has come to kick my 97 to the curb. I've been looking at WS6's for about two years now and have decided the time is right to buy. So here is my dilemma:

I want a low mileage black or red TA. Found an Auto in black here close to home, everything I could wish for except its not a 6 speed.

1. What are the differences in performance between the auto and 6 speed?

2. What is the dependability between the Auto and 6 speed?

All my mustangs are 5 speeds, my 300ZXTT was a 5 speed. Please don't be too hard on me about this as I am a woman that loves a Trans Am but my dad taught me on Fords. Im sure I know the answer to #1 myself, but I wanted some honest opinions from people who already know. Thanks!!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well the m6 will get you i say on average .2 faster in the quarter ...mind you the fastest f body..12.89ish was a m6 ...this difference is completely depended on gearing option on the a4 and of course driver's ability.

reliability of the transmissions themselves the t56 is much stronger than the 4l60e...in stock form it will last in the deep 400s ..the 4l60e needs help about in the 390-400 range..granted a lot of the time it is as simple a cooler ..but none the less....now reliability as a whole..i think the a4 wins...you can get into the 11s and still use your 10 bolt and a stockish 4l60e ...good luck doing that with a t56..you would need a new clutch and a rear end most of the time.

hope this helps

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

As much as I want to dump lots of mods into it, I can't for at least a year or so. The small amount of mods it has now will have to get me by. And considering my 65 is my track car and the Trans Am will only be used to whoop up on the ex husband and his mustang friends and to go to work in style. My old LT1 was awesome, can't wait to get back in a Trans Am.

Yes that did help. Think I will feel much better about buying the black one with the auto.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

just like mine....if i can suggest 1 mod for it to do asap..it is a yank SS3600 stall

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I have a Black A4 and love it. Granted I miss being able to bang through the gears. I just upgraded my tranny after a year after being driven with 437rwhp/385rwtq + spaying a 100hp shot on top of that. So it will hold for some time. The spray is what caused the tranny to fail. I've since pulled the nitrous to start saving for something bigger.

2002 Black WS6 A4.
    FI, H/C, LT headers, full exhaust, Fast 90/90. MWC Fab 9". Subframe connectors,
    Lower Control Arms, Panhard bar, Torque arm Strano Springs & Sway Bars.
    Koni Yellows. FLT Stage VII trans w/ PAS3400
    ASC# 4619 Conversion date was Dec 3, 2001

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I do believe the current owners put a stall in it. Also has long tube headers, the loudmouth exhaust, black z06 wheels, air intake system, a programmer and a few other odds and ends. I wasn't disappointed when I drove it. I am suppose to get a complete list of every mod added, dates and times of oil changes, maintenance, etc... This is a one owner car, they kept everything.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

If the price is right, I'd jump on it. I've keep a few things that I've pulled off since I started modding. I've got evey reciept for anything aside from oil and gas for the car in a file folder that I've been compiling since May 2005.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

idk what a stall is, but if it helps i wanna know what it does, and if it affects just normal driving?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

A stall does help with getting the car to move or getting it into the powerband quicker. It's one of the cheapest upgrades that you can do to your car that you can feel by the seat of the pants.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Wink

And it goes in an automatic tranny just in case you didn't catch that on previous posts above.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jodibonds View Post
    And it goes in an automatic tranny just in case you didn't catch that on previous posts above.
    This is true!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWS6 View Post
    idk what a stall is, but if it helps i wanna know what it does, and if it affects just normal driving?
    What stall convertors do:

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63857

White
    1998 Trans Am

Depend what you want the car for if you want a 1/4 mile car get a auto and throw a stall and good tranny tune on and it'll go. Just make sure you try to get a 3.23 geared auto or you'll need new gears too. Also they make a good dd if there is alot of traffic. A 6spd will always be more fun on the backroads since you have more control.

Their both reliable as far as I can see but you may need a clutch upgrade if you start adding power, or a stall for a A4. 10 bolts always break.
    Just decide what you want the car for I have raced 6spds with similar mods from a 50 roll and dig and they don't pull till after my car hit's 4th with the 3.73's and tranny tuned to shift at 6krpm in every gear.

Good luck with whichever you get.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the help. I still don't know which one is going to fit my purposes, i'm sure I will get it figured out. It's been a tough decision getting to just the point of buying a Trans Am. I've test drove every new car imaginable and I still go back to wanting a T/A. But anyway, thanks again!

Thread Information