Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thestaton

Difference between 98 Formula WS6 Regular WS6

I was just checking the NADA values for the 98 WS6 and it gave me 2 options. One for the Formula which I belive was 3K higher than just a regular Pontiac WS6.

What are the differences between the 2 cars? I'm guessing leather, stereo...but again just a guess.

Also just be certain 98 was the first year the LS1 was introduced to the WS6 ?

Also is it reasonable to assume I can pick up a fairly nice 98 WS6 for 13K and under?

thanks, i'm looking to make my first move into a domestic sports car after owning a WRX & an EVO.

My roots started in Pontiac with a sweet 92 sunbird, and later a Chevy Monte Carlo!!!!

Black
    99 SS

a formula is a firebird with a LS1(basically) a T/A has different features, Nose, Wing, and the formula can have the Ws6 hood if it was ordered with one, make any sense?

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

WS6 was the Trans Am and Formula. The Trans Am was more expensive.

Black
    99 SS

and the T/A had different looks also, and the WS6 had the upgraded suspension

thestaton
    so haha, which one do I pick to stay under the 13K and get the better car

Black
    99 SS

i think the Formula is the less expensive one, is it a WS6 formula? does it have the "hood" and is the T/A a WS6 car?

WS6RedDragon
    The trans am WS6 might be less money because there were more made than WS6 Fromulas. There are over double the amount of trans am WS6s than formula WS6s if I recall correctly.

Black
    99 SS

yea there is way more then double, like 10 times as many.

BlackHawk T/A
    WS6 is a conversion done to the car to add options such as the Ram Air hood, air box, wheels/tires/suspension...

The Formula is a sleeper, it looks like a V6 Firebird but has the LS1...think of it as a sort of "stripper" car. A stripped down Formula would be the lightest Bird you could get.

The Trans Am comes with all the trim, and looks a hell of a lot better IMO but looks are subjective. The changes include the front nose with center foglights, spoiler, side and rear "ground effects".

There may be more but i'm not sure.

Ride Fast or Be Last ViperSniper's Avatar

2005 Mustang/2008 Viper
    98 & 01 Trans-Am WS6

The Trans-Am and the Formula are one of the same from 98 to 02, I went to a dealer and had this same question when I was going to purchase, he told me that they were the same they just called them a formula tran-Am on paper then you could get the WS.6 performance package, before 98 they were seperate, different cars, I don't know why they did this and I argued with the dealers and he showed me paperwork on a car that was a 2000 Formular Firebird trans-am Ws.6 package and I could not find a emblem or anything on that car that said formula, I think he said that is just how it was listed. Ya never know what to believe with dealers anyway.

Black
    99 SS

ok, the formula is the FIREBIRD with the LS1, then you get the TRANS AM, which is called the Formula Trans AM, then you could get the WS6 pkg on either the Formula or the Trans AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Formula hardtop

Here's a short breakdown of the Firebird model line for you-

1. Base Firebird- V6
    2. Formula Firebird- Same body styling as V6 model, but with the V8 and everything that comes along with it (wider tires, tighter steering ratio, etc etc)
    3. Trans Am- Same as Formula, but with a raised spoiler in the rear, foglights in the center of the front bumper, and ground effects. T/As also come standard with many options (you won't find a "stripper" T/A). Also, every Trans Am is technically a Formula. If you check the option codes, they will have the code for Formula.
    4. WS6 was an option code available only on Formulas and Trans Ams. This came with a Ram Air hood, stiffer suspension and larger swaybars, 17" wheels (instead of 16"), and 275 tires (instead of 245). Also they had a 2.75" exhaust instead of the 2.5" on regular V8 models.

Basically, there is no performance difference between a Formula and a Trans Am. If anything, the Formula would be slightly quicker due to its lower weight. But that difference is negligible at best. Also, WS6 cars aren't really faster than the base models, it's more of a cosmetic package (although they do handle better).

You should have no problem finding a WS6 for 13k or less. You could even get a non-WS6 for around 8k if you look hard enough.

Black
    99 SS

thank you, that would of taken to long t type.

thestaton
    bbfirebird: Thanks so much! I might actually just look to get a regular TransAM and spend the difference on a few goodies!

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

I own a 97 Formula. I prefer it to the Trans Am due to the lighter weight, mostly due to the ground effects of the TA. If I had it to do over again (I bought new) I would have purchased the WS6 option. I strongly suspect the WS6 packages had cherry picked engines, just as the Grand Nationals. Also, you would get the upgraded suspension and the 17" wheels.
    Unfortunately, Formula WS6s are rare. Most WS6s are TAs.
    If you are going for looks, I recommend the TA.
    If you are going for performance, I recommend the Formula.
    kk

kevinfromwebb
    If I"m not mistaken, the '98 models had the LT1 and the '99 models are the ones that started with the LS1... I believe someone said the LT1 had a cast block but had a bit better botton end, power that is...

Kevin

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfromwebb
    If I"m not mistaken, the '98 models had the LT1 and the '99 models are the ones that started with the LS1... I believe someone said the LT1 had a cast block but had a bit better botton end, power that is...

Kevin
    You are mistaken, 98 was the first year for the LS1 in an fbody.

red
    2002 SLP Formula Firehawk

98 Formula WS6 is RARE! VERY RARE, compared to the T/A WS6. Down the line, it will bring more $ on re-sale to a Pontiac or FB afficionado.
    Owner, 2002 SLP Formula Firehawk #738, red, t-tops, 6-sp with Hurst linkage and Lou's Short Stik, Bilstein springs/shocks, SLP y-pipe and LM2 exhaust, BMR strut tower brace.

Former Owner, 1996 Formula Firebird WS-6

http://community.webshots.com/user/ithacamike

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

dreaded hope is right.
    i have a 98 formula and it has the LS1.
    just to be repetitive, the only things that are different are; formula firebird is lighter, trans-am has the body kit, and (in the later models) the spoilers.
    (oh and the tailpipes too. my stock ones are ugly charcoal ovals)

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfromwebb

Kevin
    ls1 went into the f-bod in 98...went in the vette in 97. I've heard the lt1 has more low end torque, but i've never been in one..though I do think gm was boozin when they thought up the optispark

Thread Information