Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2001 Firehawk

Exclamation diff between WS6 to a regular TransAm

what different equipment does a WS6 car gets over a regular TransAm in the 99 - 02 cars ? Yes , I know about the ram air hood but what about susp /wheels /exhaust / handling & engine HP rating differences , if any ?
    thanks Doug > ( dougandcindy@sympatico.ca )

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

the ws6 is the rpo code for the susp. package. the ws6 came with 17in tires and the ta came with 16 in tires.rear end ratios were a little different. but the motors are the same hp.

2001 Firehawk

WS6 vs. Trans Am

other than ram air hood ,susp upgrades & 17" wheels , was their a upgrade to the exhaust also for the WS6 cars to boost perf ?

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 1LE View Post
    other than ram air hood ,susp upgrades & 17" wheels , was their a upgrade to the exhaust also for the WS6 cars to boost perf ?
    I believe the exhaust is the same.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

No the exhaust is different, but it is still an exhasut made for factory, so there was no hp difference, it was slightly less restricitve. The WS6 guys stil lsee the same gains when they go with an aftermarket exhaust. The 305 or 325hp ratings were wrong, all ls1 cars made 350hp at the crank.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU ARE THE WINNER FOR STARTING THE 1-BILLIONTH THREAD ASKING "WHAT IS A WS6"!!!

...... and yet mis-information still abounds from people who don't even own a WS6, or even a Pontiac.

<gritting teeth>

The "outwardly badged" WS6 package was introduced in 1996. The RPO WS6 existed long before then and was merely a suspension upgrade, but now that it included Pontiac's trademark "Ram Air" induction system that increased engine breathing and HP, Pontiac felt that it was fitting to add an badge to the bumper. In the context of this post, "WS6" pertains to the '96 - '02 model years.

With the exception of the '97 WS6 convertables, all WS6s include upgraded suspension components, starting w/ 17x9 rims and 275-40-17 tires, shocks, sway bars and springs. Some bushings were also different in the suspension and transmission mounts, but these varied through the years and there is too much detail to go into for this post. In Nov 2000, the WS6 suspension package was "watered down" for a softer ride. Again, the details of what exactly changes is too much detail for this post. There were 3 basic styles of 17x9 rims, the thin-spoke '96-'00, the rare "Salad Shooters" in '01, and the thick spoke '01-'02.

ALL WS6s included the "Ram Air" cold-air induction system that included the cool hood and intake plumbing ('96-'97) or raised airbox ('98+).

ALL WS6s included a better flowing exhaust system than the normal non-WS6 cars. While it is debatable how much HP this offered over the stock exhaust, it was at least 10-20HP depending on year. Maybe not on a Sube, but on a V8 f-body if the exhaust flows better, it's going to give you more HP.

ALL WS6s include a power steering cooler. This device didn't become available on non-WS6 cars until '01-'02.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN THE WINGS THAT CAME ON THE CAR. This was a function of whether it was a Formula or Trans Am, NOT whether it was a WS6 or not.

THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE REAR AXLE RATIOS on WS6 cars with the exception that IF it was an A4 car, WS6 required the 3.23 rear ratio as a "mandatory option". You will not find a 2.73 ratio on any WS6.

THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE ENGINE ITSELF in WS6 cars. The only difference is the induction system (up to the throttle body) and exhaust (after the exhaust manifolds). There were changes in the engine assembly throughout the years, but those changes effected both non-WS6 and WS6 cars alike.

WS6 was available on Formulas and Trans-Ams up through 2000. WS6 was not available on Formulas in '01-'02.

WS6 'verts were produced from '97-'02.

Now would one of the moderators please sticky this post?

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

About $3K.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Lol wrong sir, the ram air and exhaust yielded almost no hp gain, i have seen tests of a non ws6 t/a vs a WS6 the hp difference was less than 2 hp. I may not own a T/A but i have owned 2 in the past and will soon be gettign another, my 2000 non-ws6 was rated at 305hp at the crank, but bone stock made 317 to the rear wheels. So you show me a drivetrain that you gain 12hp goin from the crank to the wheels and i will show you millon dollar contracts from every car company. Dont think just because i dont still own a f-body doesnt mean i dont know more about them then you. The ls1 engine made 350hp at the crank whether you have a ws6 or not. If the exahust really did give 15hp gain, then why do they still see the same hp gains from aftermarket exhuast that a non-ws6 would.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU ARE THE WINNER FOR STARTING THE 1-BILLIONTH THREAD ASKING "WHAT IS A WS6"!!!
    So True my friend I feel the same way.
    Didn't I see one of these threads last week and the week before and the week before.......
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Yeah i think i saw one started about 4 days ago

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post

Now would one of the moderators please sticky this post?
    Its already a sticky, people just don't take the time to read them anymore
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by LGT Guru View Post
    No the exhaust is different, but it is still an exhasut made for factory, so there was no hp difference, it was slightly less restricitve. The WS6 guys stil lsee the same gains when they go with an aftermarket exhaust. The 305 or 325hp ratings were wrong, all ls1 cars made 350hp at the crank.
    Oh, so NOW it's "less than 2 hp"??

Quote Originally Posted by LGT Guru
    Lol wrong sir, the ram air and exhaust yielded almost no hp gain, i have seen tests of a non ws6 t/a vs a WS6 the hp difference was less than 2 hp.
    Well, according to this dyno operator, it's more than 2.......

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...9&postcount=78

I have dyno numbers for a LOT more cars. (Mostly 1990s+ F-bodys, Mustangs, Corvettes, and GTOs, but I have some info for Lightnings, and Grand Nationals also.)
    I have been building my dyno database for a few years now.
    I believe it to be pretty accurate. I have each kind of car separated by year and model and the averages that should be the same are very close.
    A few examples -

02 WS6 - 313 hp
    01 WS6 - 315 hp
    00 WS6 - 311 hp
    02 SS - 313 hp
    01 SS - 315hp
    00 SS - 311hp
    02 Firehawk - 316hp
    02 Z28 - 307hp
    01 Z28 - 307hp
    02 TA - 308hp
    etc..
    All of these cars average around 330 torque.
    If you toss-out the '00s (no LS6 intakes) and the Hawk, the average difference between the '01-'02 Z28/TA and '01-'02 SS/WS6 is 5-8 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by LGT Guru
    If the exahust really did give 15hp gain, then why do they still see the same hp gains from aftermarket exhuast that a non-ws6 would.
    Well, if I could get my fingers on some 10-yr old posts from this very site, I could show you several instances where folks were getting much more HP gains from adding an aftermarket exhaust to a non-WS6 cars (10-20HP) while WS6 owners were lucky to get 5 HP gains from the same exact aftermarket cat-back systems. Now it's possible those less-than-spectacular gains were the result of the better-than-99+ SOTL exhaust that came on the '98s. But even the 99+ WS6 exhausts, as shown by the dyno results above, are better than the stock non-WS6 systems.

2001 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Its already a sticky, people just don't take the time to read them anymore
    PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR THE 1-BILLIONTH THREAD ON WS6 VS REGULAR TRANS AM,
    - BUT I AM A NEW MEMBER TO THIS SITE & I DID NOT KNOW THIS QUESTION WAS ASKED SEVERAL TIMES A MONTH, I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE STICKY SYSTEM AS THIS IS MY FIRST POST OTHER THAN MY NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION WHEN I ANNOUNCED I WANTED TO PURCHASE ANOTHER WS6 , TRANS AM , OR FIREHAWK TO REPLACE MY 2001 HAWK THAT I SOLD 3 YEARSAGO,
    THANKS FOR THE TUNE-UP , DOUG .
    Last edited by 2001 1LE; 04-14-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: NEW BEE , LEARNING TO FLY !

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

- BUT I AM A NEW MEMBER TO THIS SITE & I DID NOT KNOW THIS QUESTION WAS ASKED SEVERAL TIMES A MONTH, I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE STICKY SYSTEM AS THIS IS MY FIRST POST OTHER THAN MY NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION WHEN I ANNOUNCED I WANTED TO PURCHASE ANOTHER WS6 , TRANS AM , OR FIREHAWK TO REPLACE MY 2001 HAWK THAT I SOLD 3 YEARSAGO,
    Now we have two things to bust your balls on...

First, for not searching at all before posting.
    Second, FOR TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT VERY ANNOYING.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LGT Guru View Post
    Lol wrong sir, the ram air and exhaust yielded almost no hp gain, i have seen tests of a non ws6 t/a vs a WS6 the hp difference was less than 2 hp. I may not own a T/A but i have owned 2 in the past and will soon be gettign another, my 2000 non-ws6 was rated at 305hp at the crank, but bone stock made 317 to the rear wheels. So you show me a drivetrain that you gain 12hp goin from the crank to the wheels and i will show you millon dollar contracts from every car company. Dont think just because i dont still own a f-body doesnt mean i dont know more about them then you. The ls1 engine made 350hp at the crank whether you have a ws6 or not. If the exahust really did give 15hp gain, then why do they still see the same hp gains from aftermarket exhuast that a non-ws6 would.
    +1. Pretty sure you only get 15-20hp from a cut out on a regular TA.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 04-14-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Pewter
    2001/WS6

This whole thread was quite humorous! Thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

No need to apologize, there are tons of topics that have been covered several times that get frequently asked. Apparently, several people don't realize this is a sticky besides yourself

It doesn't bother me usually to discuss the same topic multiple times, I just like to see members get the help they seek

NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Now lets all be like Fonzy.......and how was Fonzy?......Fonzy was cool.......so be cool, baby, be cool.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

im thinkin mods just just start deleting threads that are ridiculously overposted like this one

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Lol 5-8hp could be casued by anthing when dynoing a car, im sure all those runs were on the same day LOL, it certainly isnt the 20hp they claim. The 308rwhp is about 350hp at the crank, which is what i was saying, and my 2000 made 317rwhp bone stock, better than any of the ram air cars on your list. It was 46 degrees, i made 307rwhp a couple months earlier when it was 88degrees incase that gives you any idea how easily temps can change dyno numbers

Thread Information