Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    02 Z06

did I do the right thing? (clutch)

the clutch went out in my car like 6 months ago and it took me this long to save up for it. So it may not be that big of a deal to you . But i finally bought a brand new stock clutch for only $530.00. I'm really excited and can't wait to finally drive my car again. I've only put 130 miles on it in the past four months.

I was just wondering. did I do the right thing going with the stock clutch? It's all stock and I'm only planning on maybe going into the high to mid 12's when I get done with all the performance things.

Black
    99 SS

$530!!!!!!!!!!!!! you got ripped off big time man!!!!!!!!

you could of got a HIGH perf clutch that could handle up too 700hp for that price!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    $530!!!!!!!!!!!!! you got ripped off big time man!!!!!!!!

you could of got a HIGH perf clutch that could handle up too 700hp for that price!
    easy, bro!

what my friend is trying to say is, had you done some homework, you could have a spec 1 or 2 for about that price at the same cost to install [pending you have a 2000 + model and slave cylinder]

however, i wouldn't expect that clutch to hold up well under power adders other than exhaust and air-box mods. its good for stock...as it's a stock clutch.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    easy, bro!

what my friend is trying to say is, had you done some homework, you could have a spec 1 or 2 for about that price at the same cost to install [pending you have a 2000 + model and slave cylinder]

however, i wouldn't expect that clutch to hold up well under power adders other than exhaust and air-box mods. its good for stock...as it's a stock clutch.
    Jai, this is only the clutch that he bought, NO Fly wheel!!

Black
    02 Z06

no. I'm sorry. It's a complete clutch assembly. Flywheel. Throw out bearing and some other stuff.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmMan
    no. I'm sorry. It's a complete clutch assembly. Flywheel. Throw out bearing and some other stuff.

oh sorry, i still think its to much for stock stuff.

this is just the stage 1 but check out the holding power 1-5 has.
    http://www.lmperformance.com/3477/1.html

Black
    02 Z06

ehh I guess I may of made a mistake. But I've heard of those clutches failing. I just want something very reliable for now and if I want I can always upgrade.

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Return it and get a hi-po one.

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

To error is human.........or some crap like that. I realize i have not been posting here long. Before i purchased my 00 WS6 i owned a 99 30th TA. It has been my experience to NEVER buy anything with out checking here first. Between here and LS1Tech.com, ever question you could posibly have about an LS1 is answered here.

I personally would not worry about the $530 you spent on your clutch. In the grand scheme of things, $530 is chump change. If that is the biggest mistake you make on your car, the all i have to say is "Rock on"

Just my .02

Black
    02 Z06

like I said. I'm only 17 so I'm only planning on doing intake and exhaust for now. So when I start doing a lot more things I can always upgrade.

But isn't it true the spec clutches shift very hard and things go wrong with them easily?

Black
    99 SS

if you dont allow the 500 mile break in. make sure you do that with the new clutch man, just dont thrash on it now, wait for 500 miles and give it the break in period.

there also is RAM clutches, and CENTERFOCE clutches man, just ask us questions first and research before you spend money, cause i know you only like to do things once and be done with it.

Black
    02 Z06

Yeah most defintely. I should of asked before I bought it and got some opinons but it's over and done with . I can't whine . It will work great for now anyways. I already knew about the 500 mile break in period. It kills me because I hate putting miles on my car. But maybe I'll just drive it everywhere before I put it away this winter and it will be good to go this spring.

Black
    02 Z06

Wow I actually just found out I got it for $430 not $530 like I previously though. I'm so excited to get it fixed though guys.

I've only put 130 miles on it in the past 3 months. It's just way to embarrasing driving it around with the throw out bearing making noises and it scratching all the time. I know people are thinking "stupid kid can't drive his car."

I just can't wait to drive my baby again too! When I bought it the windsheild was cracked and I have enough money to replace that too!

Black
    99 SS

oh, that sucks man, in Kentucky our insurance automatically replaces glass with a ZERO deductible, but hey glad things are going to work out for you.

Black
    02 Z06

wow thats awesome.

I just kind of sucks though because I live up in iowa and I put my car away for the winter. I wish this would of happen towards the end of summer not at the begining.

Black
    99 SS

i hear that man

dylan24
    TransAmMan, your story is the almost exact same as mine! I finally got my T/A this year after wanting one since about 6-7 years old, and I'm 18 now. My clutch started going to hell at the beginning of summer, and it sucked. Theres nothing more embarrasing than attracting ALL THE ATTENTION of the people around by pulling up in a T/A, then going to take off and almost no matter what you do..."GRRRIIIINNNDDDD" And everyone thinks you completely suck at driving. I paid $430 bucks for my clutch too, and guess what? It's stock. Sure its not any massive stage 739,293,223 clutch, but it gets the car driving again, and that was the most important thing to me, seeing as how it took all summer to save for it and now I'm broke again lol. Goes to show ya not all T/A owners are rich! Haha. But anyway, I'm sure some upgrades won't complete kill your clutch, I mean it's already made to handle sub 14 second runs completely stock. So I doubt another second or so won't kill it as long as you don't beat on it 24/7. Just give er' hell on the track and when out on the road, just wait till its happily in a gear to punch it if you wanna be real careful. Its not like you have to bang gears to beat ricers anyway.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Let's see, I got an aluminum flywheel, RAM 600 hp clutch w/throwout bearing, updated slave and a Ram adjustable master cylinder all for about $100 more than what you paid for. I've seen stock LUK kits go for 300, that's with the flywheel, slave, and master for the Z06. Just remember when shopping around for parts, reserach, compare, and ask lots of questions. As far as your future performance mods, ask first before you dive into it. I've made that mistake once before, so trust me, I know where you're coming from

Black
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by dylan24
    TransAmMan, your story is the almost exact same as mine! I finally got my T/A this year after wanting one since about 6-7 years old, and I'm 18 now. My clutch started going to hell at the beginning of summer, and it sucked. Theres nothing more embarrasing than attracting ALL THE ATTENTION of the people around by pulling up in a T/A, then going to take off and almost no matter what you do..."GRRRIIIINNNDDDD" And everyone thinks you completely suck at driving. I paid $430 bucks for my clutch too, and guess what? It's stock. Sure its not any massive stage 739,293,223 clutch, but it gets the car driving again, and that was the most important thing to me, seeing as how it took all summer to save for it and now I'm broke again lol. Goes to show ya not all T/A owners are rich! Haha. But anyway, I'm sure some upgrades won't complete kill your clutch, I mean it's already made to handle sub 14 second runs completely stock. So I doubt another second or so won't kill it as long as you don't beat on it 24/7. Just give er' hell on the track and when out on the road, just wait till its happily in a gear to punch it if you wanna be real careful. Its not like you have to bang gears to beat ricers anyway.
    That made me feel a lot better. I'm just glad someone has some empathy for me. Your right. Everyone with a 4th gen trans am is supposed to have gobs of money and well ... the majority of them do I would say.

I couldn't of put it any better by what you said about taking off. It's so embarrasing it makes me not want to even drive the car and even when your being careful the throw out bearing makes noises when you shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998
    Let's see, I got an aluminum flywheel, RAM 600 hp clutch w/throwout bearing, updated slave and a Ram adjustable master cylinder all for about $100 more than what you paid for. I've seen stock LUK kits go for 300, that's with the flywheel, slave, and master for the Z06. Just remember when shopping around for parts, reserach, compare, and ask lots of questions. As far as your future performance mods, ask first before you dive into it. I've made that mistake once before, so trust me, I know where you're coming from
    Yeah I'm not complaining. Atleast I learned from my mistake. From now on before I buy anything I'm going to make a thread and ask for peoples opinons lol ...

Black
    99 SS

dude trust me i have an LS1 and have NO money to my name!!!! and have to find a way to pay to have my engine rebuilt!

Thread Information