Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Decision time...is she worth saving?

This is a discussion on Decision time...is she worth saving? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by jagfan93 Doesn't the LS1 have a rep for being kind of a noisy motor anyway? I've noticed ...

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post
    Doesn't the LS1 have a rep for being kind of a noisy motor anyway?

I've noticed numerous LS1 cars that ran very strong but also had a knock at idle or mild acceleration.

My car for example has a noticeable knock below 1000 rpm which disappears above 1000 rpm, I just figured this was common.

Could the noise just be an unusually louder variation of the 'common' knock? (or am I just wishful thinking).
    Sounds like you are describing the ever-popular LS1 "sewing machine" tick. Normal.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Well, I got word from the shop. They want 150 to pull the valve covers or 250 to drop the oil pan to look around. I'm hesitant to spen much of anything to "look around", even if the prices are fair (which i'm not sure they are). There had been a rebuilt LS6 on ebay with a 3 yr unlimited warranty, but I guess they are out of stock of LS6 for now. That said, I think I will take the bird home, slap liability insurance on her and go shopping for a DD tomorrow and saturday. I'm hoping to find a 3-5K pick-up somewhere in the SW FL area.

As for the comment earlier, there was always a softer tick or tap or whatever you may want to call it...the current sound is much much louder, almost embarassing to drive.

Bottom line, I need transportation and I don't have a month to wait for my bird to come back to life. She'll be parked until I afford to either take the motor apart or just replace it entirely. Thanks everyone for your help and if and when I get to the motor, this will be the first place I look!

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bull1112 View Post
    Well, I got word from the shop. They want 150 to pull the valve covers or 250 to drop the oil pan to look around. I'm hesitant to spen much of anything to "look around", even if the prices are fair (which i'm not sure they are). There had been a rebuilt LS6 on ebay with a 3 yr unlimited warranty, but I guess they are out of stock of LS6 for now. That said, I think I will take the bird home, slap liability insurance on her and go shopping for a DD tomorrow and saturday. I'm hoping to find a 3-5K pick-up somewhere in the SW FL area.

As for the comment earlier, there was always a softer tick or tap or whatever you may want to call it...the current sound is much much louder, almost embarassing to drive.

Bottom line, I need transportation and I don't have a month to wait for my bird to come back to life. She'll be parked until I afford to either take the motor apart or just replace it entirely. Thanks everyone for your help and if and when I get to the motor, this will be the first place I look!
    i like this idea better than getting rid of it.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

I'm hoping to look at an S10 today to use as a DD until I can get the bird running again. Can someone run this vin through a carfax?

1GCCS19H138262959

pewter
    99 trans am

I'm hoping to look at an S10 today to use as a DD until I can get the bird running again. Can someone run this vin through a carfax?

1GCCS19H138262959
    you have pm

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

S10 you say???? better swap out that 10 bolt

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Usually a lifter making noise. Just a simple change in weight of oil helps.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

All right guys, I've followed this forum ever since I bought my 01 Pewter WS-6 after college in 2007. She has about 73K on the clock and this past Sunday she developed a loud tap sound. My first inclincation was a lifter and I took into a shop on Tuesday (parked since I first heard the sound, earliest they could see me). They called me today and said they don't think it is a lifter, but that it is on the bottom of the motor, possibly a bearing. He is suggesting he drop the oil pan to check, but tells me that anything he finds wrong would require dropping the shaft and pulling the motor in order to fix. If that is the case, he tells me it will likely cost about as much a just replacing the motor. I knew the repair would be expensive, but I was think around $1-2K, not $5K.

My question to you all is what should I do?
    A. Fix this motor
    B. Replace this motor
    C. Scrap the car and buy a new one
    D. Drive the car home, park it, buy a new DD and one day fix it (myself or o/w)

Also, how much could I even get for the car? I'd rather not part it out.
    Where u at in Fl? I know a good shop if you are close to Gainesville.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    check out gm performance parts. There is a dealer in OK selling the whole LS6 long block for $3200.... trust me i'm tempted.

Same dealer is selling an LS1 for 3k flat.... these aren't reman's or bare blocks.... we are talking full out all inclusive GM crate engines.

I keep editing this because I can't believe the prices!?!?!?!!!! an LS3, and let's be honest who wouldn't want an LS3, is going for $3,785!!!

$8,478 for an LS7 btw
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 02-26-2010 at 01:02 PM.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    check out gm performance parts. There is a dealer in OK selling the whole LS6 long block for $3200.... trust me i'm tempted.

Same dealer is selling an LS1 for 3k flat.... these aren't reman's or bare blocks.... we are talking full out all inclusive GM crate engines.

I keep editing this because I can't believe the prices!?!?!?!!!! an LS3, and let's be honest who wouldn't want an LS3, is going for $3,785!!!

$8,478 for an LS7 btw
    i like those prices for my vette, but i gotta get a new DD before i do anything like that.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Thanks to everyone for your help and for the carfax. Unfortunately that truck was already sold. I picked up a regular cab 03 Ranger w/ auto and 3.0 v6 and 111k on the clock for $4500 out the door (tax, tag, title) yesterday. When I get the time, I'll probably attack the heads or say screw it and just order an LS6. Either way, I now have what I've always wanted for the bird, time to work on her!

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Thanks to everyone for your help and for the carfax. Unfortunately that truck was already sold. I picked up a regular cab 03 Ranger w/ auto and 3.0 v6 and 111k on the clock for $4500 out the door (tax, tag, title) yesterday. When I get the time, I'll probably attack the heads or say screw it and just order an LS6. Either way, I now have what I've always wanted for the bird, time to work on her!
    Good luck with your bird! Glad you decided to keep her

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well played sir, well played.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Well all, it's bee a while, but I wanted to post an update and ask one more question. I took the car to a local chevy dealership here in ft myers and they confirmed the sound is on the bottom, definitely mechanical, and likely crank related. I honestly can't justify spending $5-6k on a car worth $11 blue book,maybe $8-9k realistically. I've been told the bearings can be replaced without pulling the motor, but if the crank has been chewed, I'm screwed. Is it worth dropping the oil pan or would it be like the last act of a doomed man?

The car has been fun, but at some point I have to cut my losses, and being 26, having just bought a house, and getting married 39 days, having a toy that will cost that much for only me to really use is a little selfish, even for me. Thanks for your help!

pewter
    99 trans am

Well all, it's bee a while, but I wanted to post an update and ask one more question. I took the car to a local chevy dealership here in ft myers and they confirmed the sound is on the bottom, definitely mechanical, and likely crank related. I honestly can't justify spending $5-6k on a car worth $11 blue book,maybe $8-9k realistically. I've been told the bearings can be replaced without pulling the motor, but if the crank has been chewed, I'm screwed. Is it worth dropping the oil pan or would it be like the last act of a doomed man?

The car has been fun, but at some point I have to cut my losses, and being 26, having just bought a house, and getting married 39 days, having a toy that will cost that much for only me to really use is a little selfish, even for me. Thanks for your help!
    well, sell it for what you can get out of it....someone out there will be proud to own that car...just dont junk it.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

If you are gonna let a shop look around for hundreds... atleast grace us on the board with a short sound clip of the tapping/knocking. Maybe we can save you some hard earned money.
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information