Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

is this a decent deal

This is a discussion on is this a decent deal within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Is ot better to get one in the I pipe or 2 in the y. Electric would be nice but ...

Is ot better to get one in the I pipe or 2 in the y. Electric would be nice but if 2 in the y shouldn't be too difficult to remove manually

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would just do 1 in the i-pipe and do electric. You can still get to the cutout in the I to do it manually if you put it under the rear passenger seat but having the switch in the car is 99% of the fun. The electric part of it really isn't that expensive and super simple to install. The cutout is ~$40 I think then you pay a shop $20-$30 to weld it in for you so you're only out $70....the electric valve is $170ish so you're out $250 or less for the whole thing.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. A single cutout positioned in the area under the rear seat is your best option. There is an existing rubber grommet in that area that you can route the wiring through and then go under the carpet to the center console. You can pull power for the cutout from the fuse panel on the driver side of the dash. Just make sure that you install a fuse close to the power tap.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Agree. A single cutout positioned in the area under the rear seat is your best option. There is an existing rubber grommet in that area that you can route the wiring through and then go under the carpet to the center console. You can pull power for the cutout from the fuse panel on the driver side of the dash. Just make sure that you install a fuse close to the power tap.
    local exhaust shop said he didn't sell cutouts buy would install for 50. to try jegs or summit to get one. figured the wiring would be easy. ill definitely look into it since sometimes everyone like it loud.

so if stock pipe is 2.5 inch is that what size cutout I get or do I get a 3 inch

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You'll have to match the kit to the diamter of your mid-pipe, otherwise you'll be cobbling things together. With my brother's mad TIG welding skills, we grafted a custom cutout onto my Magnaflow catback mid-pipe:

I ordered a 3 inch from summit. Was that too big

You'll have to match the kit to the diamter of your mid-pipe, otherwise you'll be cobbling things together. With my brother's mad TIG welding skills, we grafted a custom cutout onto my Magnaflow catback mid-pipe:

Click for full size
    that cutout is clean. can u add electric cutout to a manual one

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jefff82 View Post

Click for full size
    that cutout is clean. can u add electric cutout to a manual one
    The electric part just bolts onto the cut out. The one in the pic is a cut out then the electric opener switch and then a turn down.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

can u buy the electric valve by itself. I ordered a summit racing manual. can I add a the electric valve to it.And is 3 inch too big for stock I pipe

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can buy just the electric cutout and switch. I do not recall the diameter of the stock mid-pipe.

I believe the diameter of a stock I-pipe is an oddball size of 2.75" And by oddball I mean everything in the aftermarket you buy for exhaust systems is going to be 2"- 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" - 3" - 3 1/2" etc...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information