Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

is this a decent deal

This is a discussion on is this a decent deal within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I cleaned the maf when I first got it. cleaned up the tb as well. didn't take it off just ...

I cleaned the maf when I first got it. cleaned up the tb as well. didn't take it off just sprayed it down and wiped a bunch of crap out of it. ill look into the ams filter. read somewhere that the lid with paper filter was a waste.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

98 Formula
    06 duramax

for me that just shows that all filters let dirt into the engine which has been the case for as long as engines and filters have been around. Routine oil changes and that difference is very negligible. The number one complaint against the K&N has always been oil on the MAF and I can just go by my own experience which is that I've never had a single issue with it in 14 years......on the same filter. I also stay on top of my maintenance and back when I ran a MAF I cleaned it with every oil change.

I actually did read that earlier. All the filters were dirty which was surprising. I guess iit all comes down to wanting to clean the maf often or not

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I was reading up on that tcw3 in the gas. Whats. Your personal experience with it and how often should it be done. I'm not a big fan of sea foam.

Quote Originally Posted by jefff82 View Post
    I actually did read that earlier. All the filters were dirty which was surprising. I guess iit all comes down to wanting to clean the maf often or not
    Well, I'm like Orion, I made a habit of spraying off the MAF anyway (when I had one) so what ever air filter I ran was of no consequence. The MAF will still get dirty to some degree over time. It's just good maintanance to clean it once in a while.

I use the TCW3 in the gas religiously. Not just for the cleaning properties it has, but it also acts as a lubricant, something desperately needed in my opinion because we lost lead in the gas many years ago. Need something in there with lubricating properties, it's good for the top end of the engine (valves/guides/pistons etc...) as well as fuel pumps and fuel injectors.
    I use it in all the cars, including the carburated ones, my lawn equipment, etc...and even use it in the diesel since diesel fuel has recently lost it's lubricating properties when they took the sulfer out a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I use the TCW3 in the gas religiously. Not just for the cleaning properties it has, but it also acts as a lubricant, something desperately needed in my opinion because we lost lead in the gas many years ago. Need something in there with lubricating properties, it's good for the top end of the engine (valves/guides/pistons etc...) as well as fuel pumps and fuel injectors.
    I use it in all the cars, including the carburated ones, my lawn equipment, etc...and even use it in the diesel since diesel fuel has recently lost it's lubricating properties when they took the sulfer out a few years back.

Just wondering what positives have you seen. How do u not need a maf .

Its 1 oz per 5 gallons correct. Every time i fill up just put in 3 oz from almost empty tank

One positive that I have seen for certain is a slight increase in fuel mileage. Another positive that I can't actually document is what seems like a smoother running engine with easier starts.
    I haven't needed to tear any engine down yet that I've been using TCW3 in, but I tend to believe that less upper cylinder wear could also be a result of using it. Either way, extra lube in the top end of the engine can't be a bad thing for your valves and valve seats etc...

I run a speed density tune that no longer uses the MAF to trim fuel.

I went to a local muffler shop and he wanted 450 for a car back 3" with magnaflow muffler. Does that seem high.

Its 1 oz per 5 gallons correct. Every time i fill up just put in 3 oz from almost empty tank
    Yes 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas. You have to stick to that pretty religiously too. Yeah 3 oz is close enough for a 16 gallon tank. What I do is just measure according to what I pump in, since the fuel that is left in the tank (in my case) is already mixed from the last fillup.

That part is a bit of a pain I'll admit. Once you get a system down with a measuring bottle it's easier.

The only other fuel additive on the market that has cleaning AND lubricity capability is the Lucas fuel treatment. It's not a harsh cleaning chemical like all the other fuel additives. It's also not as sensitive to over-doing-it as the TCW3 is. So it's another alternative that's easier to deal with if you don't mind spending more money. The TCW3 is popular because with the mix ratio mentioned, a gallon jug will treat about 600 gallons of fuel.

I went to a local muffler shop and he wanted 450 for a car back 3" with magnaflow muffler. Does that seem high.
    What's a Magnaflow catback system cost nowadays??? I can't imagine it being much more than that. If you are handy with tools you can install one yourself in an afternoon.

I know a SLP is 400 shipped. Not sure about diameter

All of your single I-pipe aftermarket catbacks will be 3" with only one manufacture offering something bigger....Mufflex.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think my Magnaflow catback with the quad tips was around $500. I am late to the game today and see that your TCW3 questions have all been answered.

Well 450 is in the ballpark then. Any recomendation on a y pipe. My friend says go true dual but its pricy and if heads or. Cams come into the picture then duals would probably be a good uograde

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I can tell you from experience that if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't spend money on a cat back. I would put an electric cutout on it and call it done. My cat back has by far been the biggest waste of money on the whole car and my e-cutout is my favorite mod out of everything I've done. When I first got it I still had cats on the car and ran it open all the time. Now with no cats, headers, and cam I have to close it in town but once I leave the city limits I open it back up.
    SMWS6TA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I can tell you from experience that if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't spend money on a cat back. I would put an electric cutout on it and call it done. My cat back has by far been the biggest waste of money on the whole car and my e-cutout is my favorite mod out of everything I've done. When I first got it I still had cats on the car and ran it open all the time. Now with no cats, headers, and cam I have to close it in town but once I leave the city limits I open it back up.
    ive thought about cutouts. never done any exhaust work myself. does having cutouts change anything like air fuel ratio and are they safe. how much do they usually run. and what kind of added hpr is it mainly sound

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Cutout is my favorite mod on our car -- I often run around with it wide open. That being said, I do like the exhaust note of the Magnaflow catback. It has a nice low rumble and is fairly mild until you put your foot into it. I do not believe I have ever seen a number posted as to a gain in power with a cutout. Certainly there is less exhaust restriction with it open so things are flowing better. No need to adjust your tune or anything - the front O2 senders have a feedback loop to the PCM to adjust fueling on the fly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information