Dealer incured costs on a sale???? (taxes etc)

This is a discussion on Dealer incured costs on a sale???? (taxes etc) within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hi Guys, Not sure exactly where to post this question so TA specific will do i guess? I bought and ...

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Dealer incured costs on a sale???? (taxes etc)

Hi Guys,

Not sure exactly where to post this question so TA specific will do i guess?

I bought and imported my last Trans Am from a private seller and so this issue
    never came up, but if i bought and imported from a bona fide dealer, would
    any costs/taxes/fees, or any other "U.S. based" financial responsibilities
    from the sale be avoided by the dealer selling to me?

That is to say.... will he be able to give me a keener price if any of the
    above apply because he has less costs to incur?!

Look forward to your thoughts as always!!

Trev

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Normally the extra fees, tax, tag, and title are pass through expenses that are above the selling price. In other words the dealer has to charge them on a sale but they do not make any of the money, they are just collecting for the state or federal government. Some dealers also charge a document fee or whatever make believe thing they call it and those are pure profit to the dealer. Basically trying to make you think they can charge you to get them to do their job. They also like to try and add things like paint sealer that may have never been applied. I usually start my negotiations by ignoring anything over the federal sticker plus tax, title, and tag.

That said, on a used car that is shipped overseas you would be negotiating primarily on the price plus transportation. Some sales tax may still be due even on an out of country sale. Definitely ask about that up front so you are not surprised after you agree on a price. The dealer would simply do paperwork that showed any other tax or tag requirements were not required due to the sale outside of the country. And of course you will be paying for any import and licensing fees on your end. You might use that as an angle to get the dealer to reduce the selling price to compensate you for the other costs you will be incurring on your end. On the other hand if want them to do the transportation arrangements, it is extra work on their end that they will expect to be compensated for. Whatever you do, don't go cheap on the transport. I've had great service from E.H. Harms going back and forth to Germany several times.

If you want to ask a dealer those questions, try carsourceusa.com They sell used high end cars and frequently ship to overseas customers. I'm sure they could answer your questions by e-mail.

Good luck!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Steve,

Lovely full answer and i appreciate it!

"And of course you will be paying for any import and licensing fees on your end. You might use that as an angle to get the dealer to reduce the selling price to compensate you for the other costs you will be incurring on your end". I am already on the same page as you on that one and i always use that "poor me" approach and explain that i will be adding on the best part of $5500
    purely to get it to my own driveway! I am acutely aware of what our own customs will drain out of me and am ready for that nonsense!!

Interesting that you say i may be liable still for some sales tax and i will certainly quiz them on this!!

I hear you on the transport thing... do you mean overland to the port of departure or the whole shipping thing to destination? I probably intend to use the shipping company i used last time as they did go out of their way to pare costs for me yet do a quality job.

Got to find a car first anyhow and maybe private will be the easier option again??!!

Trev

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would go with a private seller and do your own shipping. It should be alot cheaper.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Trev,

As to shipping, I mean both. I've seen some very good shippers who took extra care when they were moving collector cars and some absolute jerks who seemed to go out of their way to cause damage. At least on your end, once the car is in country getting to it should be pretty easy. Best of luck on your search.

Steve
    Blackwing Lid, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, Frost Tune, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just make sure that however you do it the deal is set forth in writing and signed by the seller with all costs set forth.

Thread Information