Thread: dead bird

white
    1998 Trans Am

dead bird

well my oil pump crapped out and it sounds like its about to sling a rod at any moment now... this is not what i needed.. i doubt replacing the oil pump will save the motor.. so i am searching for other options.. waiting for a response on what i would really LOVE to happen and i know im getting a steal if it does.. a guy i work with has a friend that bought a 3/4 ton chevy truck that was totaled from a rear end crash.. the guy bought it just for the cab.. said that he would probably let the 6.0 motor go for $500! 70k on the ticker, old man owned the truck.. found a good mechanic that will swap motors out for $800! i PRAY that this deal will go through.. i would have a smile the size of texas if i can get this 6.0 for $500!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

good luck, you'll need to swap over the accessory's, oil pan and intake over to the 6.0 and new a new tune.

It would be a perfect time to do a cam and heads
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

white
    1998 Trans Am

i had just had the computer tuned the when it happened. had the laptop hooked up and was taking it on the first ahd pull when it happened.. the guy that tuned it told me that if i get that motor in he would retune it for free. the guy thats going to swap them is a good mechanic and has built a few engines.. he told me all that would involved with doing it.. if this 6.0 doesnt come through, guess i will just have my motor pulled and have it rebuilt.. just sucks cause it is (was) my daily driver..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry to hear. Hope all goes well and if you end up swapping make sure to post some pics!

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i hate to hear that.......the 6.0 would be an awesome upgrade though,good luck on the build

white
    1998 Trans Am

ok to update the situation... the 6.0 motor i was hoping for was already sold.. but the mechanic i have that was going to swap my motors out has a 5.3 in his shop with under 70,000 miles.. he sold it to me for $800.. installing it for $800 also.. so $1600 altogether.. now, i get to keep my old motor and he said he would go through it and see what all was wrong with it.. hopefully the block isnt damaged.. ive always wanted to build an engine and now is the perfect time to start.. just get an engine stand and have it in my apartment and do alittle at a time.. my mechanic said he would help me out with anything i need rebuilding it.. tell me how, advice, ect.... i was kinda depressed for a few days but now im excited.. yeah i will have a 5.3 instead of a 5.7 for now, but the possibility of what i can have in about a year or so of building this has me all kind of giddy..lol.. so i may relay on you guys to help out too... will have all kinds of pics to show and any advice will be greatly appreciated.. now, i will be doing this on a budget, so i dont see myself getting a $1,000 set of heads.. may take the ones on it or a bare set of ls6 heads and do something.. i dont know yet.. so, if you guys were building an LS1 on a budget, what would you do?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'd bolt the heads from the 5.3 onto the motor after getting some work done on them.

white
    1998 Trans Am

really? the heads from the 5.3 are better than the stockers on the 5.7? i thought about having the 5.7 heads reworked and using those.. what makes the 5.3 heads better? or if not better, whats the reason for using them?

Thread Information