Results 1 to 13 of 13

Dash Light Question

This is a discussion on Dash Light Question within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Just changed my oil. Now need to know how to reset my "change oil" and "check engine" light. 2002 ws6....

  1. #1
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Dash Light Question

    Just changed my oil. Now need to know how to reset my "change oil" and "check engine" light. 2002 ws6.

  2. #2
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Turn your key to the run possition without starting it. Then, press and hold in your trip button on your odometer. light will go out..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  3. #3
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Check engine: code will have to be scanned @ your local parts store. Then after it's determined what caused it you can repair it..

  4. #4
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,590

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Won't it reset itself after putting a few miles on the car?

  5. #5
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Won't it reset itself after putting a few miles on the car?
    SES light should not come on with the oil light.. The oil light will not reset, it will go out after a few minutes running but it will return everytime the engine is restarted..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.

  6. #6
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    SES light should not come on with the oil light.. The oil light will not reset, it will go out after a few minutes running but it will return everytime the engine is restarted..
    Got the oil light. Thanks Smittro. check engine light flashed on the same time the oil light did so thought maybe that was the reason. I'll have the code ran tomorrow!

  7. #7
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    Got the oil light. Thanks Smittro. check engine light flashed on the same time the oil light did so thought maybe that was the reason. I'll have the code ran tomorrow!
    Cool. Your local auto parts should be able to read and/or clear the code for free..

  8. #8
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    It's actually my service engine soon light. I think all of my fluids are good? Can they run codes on this too?

  9. #9
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    It's actually my service engine soon light. I think all of my fluids are good? Can they run codes on this too?
    SES= service engine soon.. that's what I was sayin' about having scanned. they can scan it then tell you what is causing your ses light then you can fix it.. They can clear the code too.

  10. #10
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    A flashing engine light without the engine running is normal.. But if it stays on while it's running there is a problem somewhere, and if it flashes while driving there's a serious problem and the ECM is trying to get your attention to it..

  11. #11
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    K, just wnted to make sure it was the same light as you were mentioning. Didn't know if there was a different light for service engine soon and check engine. Thanks for the info man. It stays on when I'm driving but doesn't flash when i'm drving.

  12. #12
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    K, just wnted to make sure it was the same light as you were mentioning. Didn't know if there was a different light for service engine soon and check engine. Thanks for the info man. It stays on when I'm driving but doesn't flash when i'm drving.
    I believe the SES and check engine lights are for the same thing. My 01 camaro has a ses your bird may have a check engine light but they serve the same function, to warn you of trouble..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-12-2010 at 10:44 PM.

  13. #13
    Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    288

    Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I believe the SES and check engine lights are for the same thing. My 01 camaro has a ses your bird may have a check engine light but they serve the same function, to warn you of trouble..
    Got ya. Just gonna have my local autozone run the codes tomorrow.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. i am looking into a shift light in the dash
    By WILDKARDBOYZ in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM
  2. Funny light on the dash
    By vindicator in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM
  3. light on dash
    By tingo99 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
  4. dash light problem.......
    By clg82 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
  5. 2002 TrailBlazer Dash Light
    By bmyers in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 12:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •