Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Darren's 2000 Trans Am WS6 thread!

This is a discussion on Darren's 2000 Trans Am WS6 thread! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Nice job Darren, looking at the before pics I would have passed but you did a heck of a job ...

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Nice job Darren, looking at the before pics I would have passed but you did a heck of a job on brining that system back to life.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Nice job Darren, looking at the before pics I would have passed but you did a heck of a job on brining that system back to life.
    Thanks Jeff! Stainless steel is always worth it.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have been practicing my f-bombs for the header install.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Mighty good work on bringing the finish back on the stainless Darren!!

And Jeff.... There will be f bombs a plenty as you well know!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Darren joined after your saga, so he probably doesn't know that you are the only guy on the planet to successfully install 5th gen headers on a 4th gen. Of course, it took a torch, a BFH, and a welder... but you made them fit!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ Darren joined after your saga, so he probably doesn't know that you are the only guy on the planet to successfully install 5th gen headers on a 4th gen. Of course, it took a torch, a BFH, and a welder... but you made them fit!
    Indeed i did!! Makes me shudder just thinking about it.....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I remember that lol. Exhaust looks great, man.
    It's on jackstands.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Indeed i did!! Makes me shudder just thinking about it.....
    I asked Jeff about that tonight and he explained the story. Much respect!

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Well some updates.

Staring down at things to come.

PaJeff & I successfully got the GMMG catback installed. We did a 'quality temporary fit'. I took the catback to a local exhaust shop to separate the intermediate pipe and axle back portion. The original installer had torqued the U bolt down heavy, causing a wrinkle ring in the pipe and preventing pipe separation. With the rough removal, They made the flanged 3" pipe into a 3 1/8th pretty much. Jeff made a piece of 3" cut with some slits along it fit with a block of wood and a hammer. We cut the existing catback out and ended up weeding more off of the bend to connect everything in a slip-fit fashion. We used a band clamp and a snugged U bolt to connect it up for a leak free finish. It isn't gorgeous but it works and it is rather clean. All clearances are nice, no bumping/banging under throttle or average driving. When I get on with the longtube header install I will have a replacement 3" stainless intermediate pipe to install. Currently sourcing one.

The car gave us a slight bit of struggle, but nothing we couldn't handle with Jeff's know how and my will to try. I am thankful for Jeff devoting his evening and efforts in helping me with this. I see us spending plenty of good quality time together wrenching on my car as time goes on! The final button-up and initial start up made things very much worth while. The sound is everything GMMG catbacks are known for. A deep toned clean grunt with a great amount of refined aggression, at least on stock manifolds/cats. I look forward to the LT/ORY setup.

A view of my car on Jeff's personal lift in his man's dream garage. I consider it a happy place personally .

During this we changed the fuel filter also. A quick 2 minute job. We believe to have pulled out an original filter. 91k on the car at this point. If not, it may had been replaced by the second owner in 2004. I should have also purchase oil as I ended up doing an oil change ( first one I have done on the car actually ). I made due in my garage with a jack & stands with my creeper. But I definitely want a car lift now! I prefer to use Amsoil, but I waited too late to order ( Beaver Springs Dragway adventure the following day too late ) so I used Mobil 1 5w30 with a mobil 1 m1-107 oil filter bought locally. 5.5qts and she is happy and refreshed. During this time I also pulled the air lid apart and cleaned/oiled the K&N filter ( came with the car ). If I had some MAF cleaner I would have done that also but the car is running excellent.

At the track, Jeff ( KingLS1 ) figured out why my lid clamps kept coming loose, I re-installed it with the lip over-lapping the base, apparently it goes inside. Thanks again!

Stepping back a step for a fun shot. I discovered that a broken down catback, Y pipe, and longtube headers, will comfortably fit in our cars.

I have ordered some Corsa Clone style exhaust tips. 4" rounds. I enjoy seeing the catback tucked up underneath, but I miss the exhaust tips with rolled edge. Even though they were dinky stock barely 3". I can't wait to get the Corsa clones in.

I attempted the same steel wool sanding method on the QTP longtubes that I did with the catback. Results weren't as outstanding as the catback, but I expected that. I took off some grime and surface rust however. I guess it was worth while. My pitbull Zoey was there monitoring my work also.

Before,

After,

The day at Beaver Springs Dragway was fun. I made a best run of 13.601 @ 103.49mph. My personal best. I look forward to breaking that time in the future also.

Here is a group shot from our display at the track.

And at our 'turf' on the track.

Great time with you guys!

On the way home after some Appleby's I stopped at the scenic overlook of Williamsport on Rt.15 since the girlfriend had never been there before. While she gazed among the view in admiration, I did too. So much that I photographed the view I enjoyed .

That is it for now!

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Oh shoot, I forgot to include some sound bites of the exhaust. I don't have a video editing program anymore so I couldn't make it into one video, but here are a couple before and after videos of my catback transition. My advice to anyone considering the Flowmaster just by-pass it. In my opinion when it comes to an LS1, or even an LT1 which sounds more aggressive and raw, spend the money on Magnaflow for a tame sound, Borla adjustable for an aggressive mild sound, or GMMG/Madhammer for deep aggressive bark. I even reduced drone in 5th & 6th gear by losing the Flowmaster, and it does feel like the car scoots slightly better.

Filmed with my gopro in 1080p 60fps. I tried to make these two videos exactly the same.

Flowmaster 80 series, stock WS6 tips.

GMMG, 3.5" angle cut tips.

Drive-bys filmed with my phone ( Galaxy S5 ). These scenarios are not at all similar, except for being exhaust videos .

Flowmaster 80 series:

GMMG:
    Last edited by DarrenWS6; 09-28-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That sounds awesome on the drivebys!

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

That sounds awesome on the drivebys!
    Totally worth the disturbance call ay? . It is an incredible sound. deep and clean, aggressive at the same time, and can be heard when the car is out of sight. I hated how tame the Flowmaster was. Car wasn't even out of sight and I could barely hear the WOT.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

A small collage of fall seasonal photos. In north PA we have about 3 days of orange until it starts getting to be all sticks so it is a tricky catch.

Some from the Wellsboro PA state park area.

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 10-15-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    024mula likes this.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

With little photoshop play, I rendered these 3 as my favorites.

And I also got my Corsa Clones on. They are 4" with 2.5 inlet. The inlets on them were for 2.5" ID so I needed to get some adapters. Ordered 4 single bolt clamps for $38 and they sealed everything snug ad tight. I needed to adjust the catback a little to get the passenger side off of the bumper plastic, a little bit of universal hanger and a clamp worked a charm to pull the system to a leveled exit. I love how these look and how they make a more megaphoned sound.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Darren - we have a COTM on here that gets you in the calendar. Time to submit some entries.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Darren - we have a COTM on here that gets you in the calendar. Time to submit some entries.
    I won August, should I just submit more anyway? I'm down for that.

Girlfriend had a couple photos on her phone I seen, made me laugh .

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nope - if you already won then you are done for the year. Sorry, didn't realize that.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Here is me being a screw off enjoying the 30 degree performance on Oct 17th, the Saturday evening prior to the Sunday beaver springs drag day. I guess you could say I was anxious to run through the gears, and wanted to practice my tire heat-up skills.

pajeff02 likes this.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You may as well just ask Santa for an S60.

Another small thing to note -- make sure to keep it off the rev limiter with stock push rods and valve train. The push rods like to bend and will create instant valve lash and a tick.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

You may as well just ask Santa for an S60.

Another small thing to note -- make sure to keep it off the rev limiter with stock push rods and valve train. The push rods like to bend and will create instant valve lash and a tick.
    I'm asking santa for one, I just don't expect it .

Ok, noted and good to know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information