Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Darren's 2000 Trans Am WS6 thread!

This is a discussion on Darren's 2000 Trans Am WS6 thread! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by chevyoverford11 Yeah its got a Lil Rumble. It's the LM2. I wanted the more throaty sound, lm1 ...

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by chevyoverford11 View Post
    Yeah its got a Lil Rumble. It's the LM2. I wanted the more throaty sound, lm1 usually gives raspy tone from what I'm told
    Nice, I was considering that kit for when I bought a car but having this car already had the american thunder kit already I can't complain. This video is sort of a decent comparison.

2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

This is the system I and a few others have. Magnaflow Catback 98-02 F-Body Twin tips. That is a heck of a price. I absolutely love the sound paired up with my OBX long tubes & ORY with resonators.
    Magnaflow vs. SLP catback opinions
    OBX Racing Lt Exhaust Headers 00 02 Camaro Firebird Trans Am 5 7L V8 LS1 F Body | eBay
    anybody runnin OBX headers???
    I love my set up you can get into a boat load of money for exhaust but I didn't really have when I started to mod my car so I went with this set up 4 years ago and absolutely love every inch of it. Quality parts with lots of ground clearance. Just some advice and opinions
    Last edited by kingls1; 06-13-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    This is the system I and a few others have. Magnaflow Catback 98-02 F-Body Twin tips. That is a heck of a price. I absolutely love the sound paired up with my OBX long tubes & ORY with resonators.
    Magnaflow vs. SLP catback opinions
    OBX Racing Lt Exhaust Headers 00 02 Camaro Firebird Trans Am 5 7L V8 LS1 F Body | eBay
    anybody runnin OBX headers???
    I love my set up you can get into a boat load of money for exhaust but I didn't really have when I started to mod my car so I went with this set up 4 years ago and absolutely love every inch of it. Quality parts with lots of ground clearance. Just some advice and opinions
    Thanks for the post and links! I have read the Magnaflow vs SLP thread before. Good stuff. Do you happen to have a clip of your car?

PaJeff has the Kooks kit w/ cats, and the Magnaflow catback. I have rode in it and it is very tame, I gotta see if I can hear it on the outside one of these days. I didn't like how the Magnaflow tips looked seeing them in photos but after seeing the setup on his car in person I love the look. I would really love to find just the tips but I'm going to get a set of the 3" in 4" dual out clone tips soon.
    Stainless Steel Clone Exhaust Tips

I assume those are Corsa clones, they look incredible and I feel they will be a winner.

In the truck scene OBX has a great rep. I would like to put a high quality Kooks/SW/Dynatech header kit in my car, but if the OBX is just as good in these cars and is durable with good fitment I would certainly give it a try and run the resonators. Did you use the OBX supplied gaskets? Or did you use brand new GM gaskets?

Different animal but on most modular block Fords there are reports of exhaust leaks when using OBX headers with OEM Ford gaskets, its necessary to use the thin OBX provided ones.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nice video, Darren. The Big West sign gave away the location as I couldn't figure it out on the first pass.

Silver

I used factory GM gaskets along with a brand new set of factory bolts torqued them to spec ran a heat cycle let cool a bit and added a pound and never had a issue. And they are a quality set of headers with great figment, quality welds and still look great after 4 years despite being 1/3 the cost. But if money isn't a concern by all means Kooks is quality. Sorry I don't have any sound clips but IMO it's not very tame especially when the R's are nearing the top.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Jeff's car sounds great with that exhaust setup.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have Kooks 1-7/8" LT Headers, Kooks 3" Y, and LM II without cats and my car is STUPID loud. It sets off car alarms at 2,000 RPM at 20mph. People roll up their windows when they're next to me, or behind me. When I got the blower installed, the bypass valve made it even louder. Probably going to ditch the LM II at some point myself. It sounded great with OEM manifolds.
    It's on jackstands.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Another video!

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Nice video, Darren. The Big West sign gave away the location as I couldn't figure it out on the first pass.
    Lol! I figured you would!

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I used factory GM gaskets along with a brand new set of factory bolts torqued them to spec ran a heat cycle let cool a bit and added a pound and never had a issue. And they are a quality set of headers with great figment, quality welds and still look great after 4 years despite being 1/3 the cost. But if money isn't a concern by all means Kooks is quality. Sorry I don't have any sound clips but IMO it's not very tame especially when the R's are nearing the top.
    Budget quality with a fair cost is all what I am about, sounds good to me! Thanks for the inside man.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just an observation - your garage is way too organized!

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Just an observation - your garage is way too organized!
    And here I was thinking it was a bit cluttered lol!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any plans for that car to take a ride in a few weeks to GM Carlisle?

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Any plans for that car to take a ride in a few weeks to GM Carlisle?
    Unfortunately no. Bit off a bit much to chew by getting this car and things a bit tight until my truck is paid for. Next couple months will just be firm until then.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok. If you do decide to come down, Saturday is the best day to be there and we'll have an LS1.com tent on the fairgrounds.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    Unfortunately no. Bit off a bit much to chew by getting this car and things a bit tight until my truck is paid for. Next couple months will just be firm until then.
    Not a problem, just drink excessive amounts of alcohol and then just crawl in someone's tub at motel 6 and just crash...it's been done before and I don't think Walt will be attending this year.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Haven't changed anything about it yet, just been driving it and enjoying it, and washing it a few times in between. Going to go down to the Beaver Springs track with Jeff here on the 18th!

A mandated post photo.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Nice car, I see you still have your F150, I am a member on the F150 forum too and I still have my 2008 F150 too...(BayouSuperCrew)

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Nice car, I see you still have your F150, I am a member on the F150 forum too and I still have my 2008 F150 too...(BayouSuperCrew)
    Click for full size
    Nice to see you man, I believe I recall you from F150online too. Over there I have 16k posts, on here I hardly have anything, definitely different .

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hoping to hit the cruise in Thursday evening. Will have to fuel up the Trans Am and then load her on the trailer.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Hoping to hit the cruise in Thursday evening. Will have to fuel up the Trans Am and then load her on the trailer.
    Excellent! Looking forward to seeing and hearing it again.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Been a little bit since I have updated. Nothing extraordinary but I do have my exhaust on the right track so far. I was scouring craigslist and facebook f-body pages for a GMMG or Borla catback, in that order preference. Almost went to Hersey PA for a used GMMG kit which had been cut above the over-axle section ( higher than the slip-fit joint ) but passed on it. We wanted $450 and talked him to $400 flat but after a bit of thinking I just didn't want to deal with the work of fabbing a new connection. I wanted a ready to go system.

Shortly after that a fellow from NJ saw my post and offered me a used system from his Z28 as he is stripping it down for a track dedicated build. It was Pacesetter LTs no Air/EGR ORY, and GMMG catback all for $550. I accepted it and planned an Atlantic City vacation after he confirmed the pieces were removed from the car ( with photos ). Here is the photos he sent me.

After removal he verified the headers were actually a quality set of stainless QTP longtubes and the Y pipe was a bit shot and crusty. He offered me a new TSP ORY, I didn't want to pay $150 more so I offered him $100 to be generous an beneficial to us both. Picked them up last Tuesday and started cleaning them up over the last couple days.

Catback soaked in engine degreaser.

I recalled he said it had a small hole. The damn hole was the size of a nickel . I'm pretty sure this was from the hanger So i'm going to need to figure this one out.

Nothing that the local fabrication shop couldn't fix with a piece of stainless and a stainless tig weld.

Started polishing the catback by hand.

Decided that was taking too long and was hard on the fingers. Went to Lowes and got some steel wool, used 00 coarse on everything and then used 0000 afterwards. Needless to say I am absolutely tickled with how great the exhaust looks now. The tips had rust on them even. I plan to discard them for a set of quad outlets, but now I wont feel bad running these for a little while.

That's where I am as of now. I hated the idea of buying used parts, but I am a budget modder and have to make sacrifice somewhere. But with a little time and know how I am glad I took a chance on this exhaust so far. It cleaned up great. Going to work on the headers with the 00 steel wool next. Gathering a list of parts for the header job and going to be buying parts shortly. Looking forward to all this. This will give me and Jeff some quality time together of nicked up knuckles and possibly some profound language too, looking forward to it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information