Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    02 WS6

Damaged Quarter Panel

So I just backed out of the garage & rubbed my rear right quarter panel against my other car. It is bent in pretty good. How easy is that to fix? Should I just look for another panel? What is the best route to take to get this fixed? Still new here & am still trying to figure out posting pics. Thanks in advance for the help.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Replacing a quarter panel is very difficult as it has to be cut, sound like you just rubbed it so you should be able to repair it. A body shop take about 3 hrs for about a area about the size of a sheet of paper. most shops are about $45 bucks a hour. then about 5hrs to paint with the needed items removed. So you should be able to do the math.

Pewter
    02 WS6

Thanks for the quick post. Seeing how this just happened, I wanted an educated course of action. Thank you much.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Yeah I had some asswipe hit me a year ago and bent mine up good. I would just take it to the shop first and get an estimate. Just please don't do like my idiot little brother and try taking a rubber mallet to the back of the panel. I could have shot him.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Show me a pic and I can give you a estimate of what you should expect so some ripoff shop doesn't take you for a ride I've fixed several 1/4 panels on fbodies usually camaro's buy have done one bird. Same thing though.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Show me a pic and I can give you a estimate of what you should expect so some ripoff shop doesn't take you for a ride I've fixed several 1/4 panels on fbodies usually camaro's buy have done one bird. Same thing though.
    Must be because we are smarter like our 'birds more, eh?

Stupid Camaro owners with their '70s Mullet hair.

J/K everyone, don't flame me!

White
    1998 Trans Am

I actually have to say I base the cars off ratio. There are more Camaro's I see around on cruises and meets. I see alot of TA's when I'm out during the day but also see alot of older people. There are 3 WS6's I have seen on myb way home from work or going out and all are driven by women and the youngest looked late 40's. They snached up all the nice TA's so I guess everyone else had to get a Camaro.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa T/A View Post
    So I just backed out of the garage & rubbed my rear right quarter panel against my other car. It is bent in pretty good. How easy is that to fix? Should I just look for another panel? What is the best route to take to get this fixed? Still new here & am still trying to figure out posting pics. Thanks in advance for the help.
    If you haven't figured out how to post pics yet, 1st set up a photo bucket account (if you haven't already) then upload your pics, then copy the IMG code, then paste it on here. Unless things have changed, I think that's the only way a new member can post pics, of course since you're a junior member there might be other ways you can post. If i'm wrong, I know there'll be members that's been on here way longer than I have that can help you out

Pewter
    02 WS6

Got an estimate today.... guy was a dick. Said it would cost bout $800.00 cuz the door would have to be re-painted so it would blend. I will post pics tomorrow.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Got an estimate today.... guy was a dick. Said it would cost bout $800.00 cuz the door would have to be re-painted so it would blend. I will post pics tomorrow.
    WOW! My body shop charged 680 and that was to replace the back bumper, new quarter panel and new driver tail light. I would keep looking!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Bumpers and taillights are cheap parts to get that's why some places cut good deals I do it alot when I don't wanna fix a damaged bum[per I go get a aftermarket for $30 to 50 and paint and install it so save me a headache od repairing junk. $800 sounds high I think you can get it lower but need a pic to see how bad it really is to know whether to repair or replace 1/4 panels are pretty easy to fix on these cars, especially the pass. side just take the tire out and you can knock alot out from inside then weld a few studs on finish the pull, some hammer/dolly work, then some bodyfiller to fix any minor bumps left annd ready for primer.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 05-22-2010 at 06:57 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

As far as the 1/4 panel goes I need a pic to so where you hit it. In all honestly unless your car was like mt friends Camaro and had recently been hit and painted on the same side youmost likely would have to blend the door in for a good color match. Especially after reading that your car is pewter. If the damage is too close to the door when they repair it and primer it. You have to paint into the door so the flake in the silver metallic matches right. BLK cars not so much GM's black is so basic and generic on color I have painted vette 1/4 panelsand Bird fenders with no blending. I don't even bother with the paint code I just use Dupont 99k Bbasecoat blk and it has matched everyone so far iincluding Caddy's. Their yellow that they used on the CETA cars is a paint to match since it has some orange I much prefer the Millenium yellow on the vette it easier. CETA color is closer to the yellow of the Solstice.
    I'm doing a new door on a Mustang for a friend. I painted his silver Camaro vert and his dad has a 96GT that the door was pushed in so I am putting a used red door on it and doing the jambs white then installing the door then when I paint the door I also have to paint the 1/4 panel and fender so it'll match.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    As far as the 1/4 panel goes I need a pic to so where you hit it. In all honestly unless your car was like mt friends Camaro and had recently been hit and painted on the same side youmost likely would have to blend the door in for a good color match. Especially after reading that your car is pewter. If the damage is too close to the door when they repair it and primer it. You have to paint into the door so the flake in the silver metallic matches right. BLK cars not so much GM's black is so basic and generic on color I have painted vette 1/4 panelsand Bird fenders with no blending. I don't even bother with the paint code I just use Dupont 99k Bbasecoat blk and it has matched everyone so far iincluding Caddy's. Their yellow that they used on the CETA cars is a paint to match since it has some orange I much prefer the Millenium yellow on the vette it easier. CETA color is closer to the yellow of the Solstice.
    I'm doing a new door on a Mustang for a friend. I painted his silver Camaro vert and his dad has a 96GT that the door was pushed in so I am putting a used red door on it and doing the jambs white then installing the door then when I paint the door I also have to paint the 1/4 panel and fender so it'll match.
    I guess it's another reason to like black. It is a pain to keep clean tho!

black
    1999 pontiac T/A WS-6

My sister in law backed into my right rear QT I said NO filler it got replaced when done $ 3500 It depends on what type of repair you want

White
    1998 Trans Am

The carmaro I did I banged most of it out with just minor filler to smoorth and small bumps left. Any debt fixed needs dody filler or a glazing outty at least. All for welding a new one in but depending on the shop it could turn out thike an LT1 looked at. Car was clean, int. was nice, only problem was rge hatch looked crooked but after fruther inspection someone welde the 1/4 panel 1 to 2 mm's off but enought to tell. Body filler is a great thing when used properly to finish a planel not ti fill the dent in.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

If it's hit near the door, a blend may needed. If it's hit near the rear, no blend is needed.

Pewter
    02 WS6

Sorry I havnt post pics yet. I keep forgeting to get my camera from work. The damage is just over the wheel well. Its about as long as a peice of paper but not as wide. Bout 1 1/2 inch deep. Yes the dick head at the shop did talk about the blend to the door.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Sorry I havnt post pics yet. I keep forgeting to get my camera from work. The damage is just over the wheel well. Its about as long as a peice of paper but not as wide. Bout 1 1/2 inch deep. Yes the dick head at the shop did talk about the blend to the door.
    Seeing as it's close the door, I would want to blend it. The guys seems like he wants to do it right.

Pewter
    02 WS6

Here are pics of the damage. Its driving me crazy to have a flaw like this.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Here are pics of the damage. Its driving me crazy to have a flaw like this.Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    I know exactly what you mean. Seems like everybody is staring at the quarter, eh? In reality, almost nobody notices.

Thread Information