Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Daily Driver or STS rearmount Turbo???

98 TA a4.... 4000 VIG stall, Pacesetter LT's, 3.23s, ls1 intake, lid, Ms4 Cam.. supporting mods such as spring and pushrods.. whalbro 255. dynoed 355.. would be looking to run 7.7s or 7.6s @ 90-91.. i WAS going to make it into a full drag car and do weight reduction and all with a 5k stall and some other stuff.. but would hate doing that.. but at the same time want that speed.

also have the Z that is listed for a DD...

**THE QUESTION**

should i sell the DD and put my TA back to stock everything but the converter and go with this setup ----- http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=116524 ----- it would lower my outgoing money per month by about 40-50$ or so and i would make about 100 or so HP more just on 5#s.. plus WAAAY better gas mileage and i would get to DD my TA again.. while still being a beast!

let me know all ups and downs.. and please I AM NOT ASKING IF THAT IS A GOOD KIT.. if i do sell the Z and buy a poweradder that is what i will go with. period... no s/c.. and no other turbos.. so dont even bring it up.. but any thoughts would be appreciated on what you guys would do in this situation..

Daily Driver- 98 Black Z28 M6 TTops..
    Performance--- Lid, Flowmaster Exhaust, Free mods..
    Looks--- Taillights Blacked Out, Black Clear Corners, Side Markers Black Out, Stainless Billet Grill, Chrome "Z28" "CAMARO" Decals, CCFL Black Halo Headlights..

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

no opinions..?

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

Really its up to you because its your money. Personally, i have always liked FI. Right now my TA is my DD and has a fairly large cam in it and i love it but if i had the money to go with a turbo i would. Or go turbo with a small cam.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

STS is crap.

Get a daily and get a real turbo kit down the road.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by greenTA View Post
    Really its up to you because its your money. Personally, i have always liked FI. Right now my TA is my DD and has a fairly large cam in it and i love it but if i had the money to go with a turbo i would. Or go turbo with a small cam.
    im tired of the cam thing.. horrible ass gas mileage for not a huge gain.. i want more power.. i know its up to me. im just curious what some others would do if hey had the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    STS is crap.
    Get a daily and get a real turbo kit down the road.
    im not argueing with your opiniong, but why do you think that.. i have heard amazing stories and horror stories.. same as anything.. any experience youve had and learned from and want to share i would appreciate!

i already have a daily driver.. its my Z28. i was thinking about an APS TT kit... but right now thats about 2 grand too much right now for me from what ive seen..

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am not a fan of twin turbo kits. But that APS kit is great for someone looking at the STS kit and not going HUGE with the set-up. Just wanting a lot of streetable power.

The STS kit...that poor turbo sits in a bad spot. Water, rocks, something you run over. I know, it is the same for a lowered car with longtubes. Sometimes shit just happens.
    I have talked to friends that tried to push the STS system...and couldn't. No way to keep it sealed at 13-14+ PSI.
    Some people will say the STS takes longer to spool up...I tend to disagree. Once pressurized...it doesn't loose anything. And it doesn't take much longer to pressure up that system.

A turbo runs off exhaust gases to spool and make boost. Designed to be ran right off the turbo manifold....not 10 feet back.
    I won't say they don't make the power. I have seen them dyno pretty high in person. But that same car just didn't seem to perform the way you would think it should at the track. Only seen that one in person, but have read of that problem more than once.
    Maybe it is just in the set-up of the car, and/or driver.

If it was me...TTi single kit.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have witnessed one horror with STS and would not slap that junk on any car of mine. Thats my opinion and recommendation.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I am not a fan of twin turbo kits. But that APS kit is great for someone looking at the STS kit and not going HUGE with the set-up. Just wanting a lot of streetable power.

The STS kit...that poor turbo sits in a bad spot. Water, rocks, something you run over. I know, it is the same for a lowered car with longtubes. Sometimes shit just happens.
    I have talked to friends that tried to push the STS system...and couldn't. No way to keep it sealed at 13-14+ PSI.
    Some people will say the STS takes longer to spool up...I tend to disagree. Once pressurized...it doesn't loose anything. And it doesn't take much longer to pressure up that system.

A turbo runs off exhaust gases to spool and make boost. Designed to be ran right off the turbo manifold....not 10 feet back.
    I won't say they don't make the power. I have seen them dyno pretty high in person. But that same car just didn't seem to perform the way you would think it should at the track. Only seen that one in person, but have read of that problem more than once.
    Maybe it is just in the set-up of the car, and/or driver.

If it was me...TTi single kit.
    im just looking for around 500.. nothing too outragous.. later on ill be wanting 7-800.. but ill be on a different kit by then. and i know for a fact that the STS can make that and that it performs very good for 500.. at least good enough for me.. and of course thats what matters. im not forged, so i wont be over 10#s at any time... no matter what. i also agree, it spools VERY fast.
    i am basically copying a friends car EXACLTY.. same custom piping and all.. so im not worried if it will make the numbers or perform right.. if it doesnt, its not the turbo at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have witnessed one horror with STS and would not slap that junk on any car of mine. Thats my opinion and recommendation.
    curious..

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    im just looking for around 500.. nothing too outragous.. later on ill be wanting 7-800.. but ill be on a different kit by then. and i know for a fact that the STS can make that and that it performs very good for 500.. at least good enough for me.. and of course thats what matters. im not forged, so i wont be over 10#s at any time... no matter what. i also agree, it spools VERY fast.
    i am basically copying a friends car EXACLTY.. same custom piping and all.. so im not worried if it will make the numbers or perform right.. if it doesnt, its not the turbo at fault.

curious..
    If you dont have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over???

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    If you dont have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over???
    its not that i dont have the time.... i want to get a basic knowledge for turbos.. i also want to learn their power.. im 19 years old and have only ever been around H/C ls1s.. FI cars are different animals.. dont get me wrong i WILL respect the power by all means! but i am somewhat of a noob when it comes to turbos in my eyes, and i want to know what i want before i go spend 9k on a setup.. this will get me a basic knowledge and point me towards or away from something i want or think i want.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

o, ic

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

o, ic
    im trying not to blow money now, or in the future.. ive got my head on half way about is.. just need a little more opinion from some of you older guys..

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

well, my personal exp, buddy has dd 99 z28 sts cam only, 512 whp/ 502 wtq... fast as hell, hasn't left him walkin yet.

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

i would definately go with a turbo if i could afford it man i agree with the big cam and gas milage altough i have a big cam waiting to be put in my car but im waiting until i can get something to drive everyday besides the t/a

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

as far as sts, here's what i seem to hear. sts for vette is good, for the t/a bad. the difference in the kits is great.

the corvette has a intercooled twin turbo, the t/a has a plain single turbo kit. doesnt even seem to come with an intercooler standard. i have heard the vette has full boost at 2000 and i think i heard the t/a was higher and has more lag to it.

if i were to kit a sts style kit, i'd email them about getting the vette's twin turbos and intercooler. im not sure why they didnt make the kits the samebut the vettes seems to be superior in every way.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

well, my personal exp, buddy has dd 99 z28 sts cam only, 512 whp/ 502 wtq... fast as hell, hasn't left him walkin yet.
    yea people that bash usually A. dont know what they are talking about... just going off hear say or ONE bad experience.... or B. are bashing the piping...

Quote Originally Posted by kris6273 View Post
    i would definately go with a turbo if i could afford it man i agree with the big cam and gas milage altough i have a big cam waiting to be put in my car but im waiting until i can get something to drive everyday besides the t/a
    yea, i went big cam and it sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    as far as sts, here's what i seem to hear. sts for vette is good, for the t/a bad. the difference in the kits is great.

the corvette has a intercooled twin turbo, the t/a has a plain single turbo kit. doesnt even seem to come with an intercooler standard. i have heard the vette has full boost at 2000 and i think i heard the t/a was higher and has more lag to it.

if i were to kit a sts style kit, i'd email them about getting the vette's twin turbos and intercooler. im not sure why they didnt make the kits the samebut the vettes seems to be superior in every way.
    well you can get a FMIC... im getting used so i am.. the lag has nothing to do with the turbo itself it has to do with the rest of the setup... a t80 or something yea... but not a 67.. like i said ill go with an APS later PROBABLY but i want to learn a little bit first...

thanks for everyones opinion, im selling the Z and getting a gt67 ls6 cam intake 45# injectors and running about 8#s..

1998 TA

Dude where do you work? I want your job. 19 and you've already been through a cam and are now moving onto a turbo set-up thats going to lead to another one down the line? I'm 16 and i guess retail is not the place to be haha

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Dude where do you work? I want your job. 19 and you've already been through a cam and are now moving onto a turbo set-up thats going to lead to another one down the line? I'm 16 and i guess retail is not the place to be haha
    lol... at a coffe shop

i dont make a lot of money... ALL of my money i make goes into cars... when i say all.. i mean ALL of it.. if your wondering i make about 350-400 every two weeks, plus i mow lawns and stuff when possible.. VERY VERY VERY rarely do i borrow gas money from my mom... maybe 20 dollars every 1-2 months..

i spend my money wisely.. i dont buy the first thing i come across... and i try my hardest to find out what is a good setup or what i want.. like you have seen in this thread.. i could go with something better like an APS TTi or something along those lines.. but i have no idea if i want a FI car even to begin with.. so im starting small on the terms of power and money... if i like what i am seeing.. then i will move up from there... if i dont, i can go back to H/C packages very easily..

the link that i put up was from a kid also.. hes 20.. but hes in the military, making about 40k a year with no bills... so thats a different story.. got another H/C friend making around 400 plus a 200 shot.. on a 00 camaro.. hes 19. my advice.. SPEND YOUR MONEY wisely. do your research.. and if cars is what you want dont go out to the movies, eating, buying a coke here and there, PUT IT IN YOUR CAR... just decide what you want an go for it.. like with anything in life, i have friends my age that would kill for my TA and/or my DD z28..... in in honesty they could have what i have and more if they would put their mind to it.. because they make more money... but they spend it on gum cokes movies shit like that....

1998 TA

I'm making almost exatly the same as you. And since i bought my car all of my money has gone into it too. After a year of owning it I've been able to put on headers, ory, slp lm2, cam with all the valvetrain goodies, 4.10's, pro 5.0, and ram air kit. But with gas prices so high its hard to keep the funds as full as i would like. So now begins the long haul to save for a new rearend. Anywho, good luck on your build. I'm sure it'll be a beast.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

I'm making almost exatly the same as you. And since i bought my car all of my money has gone into it too. After a year of owning it I've been able to put on headers, ory, slp lm2, cam with all the valvetrain goodies, 4.10's, pro 5.0, and ram air kit. But with gas prices so high its hard to keep the funds as full as i would like. So now begins the long haul to save for a new rearend. Anywho, good luck on your build. I'm sure it'll be a beast.
    i only paid 7 for my TA... only mods besides some small appareance mods are.. full exhaust (402$).. cam and tires (300$).. springs pushrods y pipe yada yada for the install (i ended up selling the ypipe cause i went true duals (about 800)), i dont have that much.. i am selling the Z for a turbo and honestly shouldnt have 2 car payments right now.. i will take out a loan for about 2 grand.. plus what i make off of my Z..

i have stock gearing intake all that stuff.. plus i have friends that cut me KILLER deals on things and help with installs, so that saves a lot of money. ive had the TA for about 8 months.

Thread Information