Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cutting out hood baffles?

This is a discussion on Cutting out hood baffles? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; During the hard rain you are probably not going to be racing My thoughts exactly, I still won't pick up ...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

During the hard rain you are probably not going to be racing
    My thoughts exactly, I still won't pick up my WS6 for a week but I also would be very interested in the foam and rain shields

Metallic Pewter
    99 Pontiac Firebird TA

I put a ram air hood on my car recently, but I did not open it up to allow fresh air to flow through. I like the look of the hood, but it is not a complete seal so I personally do not want all the trash and or dirt getting into my engine bay and making a mess out of it. A dirty engine not only looks bad, but it also increases the temperature of it. I don't think the extra couple of horses out weighs the dirt, and chance of hydrolocking it.
    99 Metallic Pewter Pontiac TA M6
    160 Degree Thermostat, TB Bypass
    MTI Clear Lid, Ported MAFS
    Smooth bellows, Cut out

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom's 99TA
    I put a ram air hood on my car recently, but I did not open it up to allow fresh air to flow through. I like the look of the hood, but it is not a complete seal so I personally do not want all the trash and or dirt getting into my engine bay and making a mess out of it. A dirty engine not only looks bad, but it also increases the temperature of it. I don't think the extra couple of horses out weighs the dirt, and chance of hydrolocking it.
    Personally it was worth it... I hear what you are saying about the dirt but my engine bay is very clean. The only thing I need to check is the K&N filter and clean it every couple months. When the hood is sealed to the airbox and baffles removed, the air goes directly into the intake through the filter not on the engine. You are still getting the air and dirt from underneath the car to the engine as the factory designed it. Just more direct air with this mod... The rain shield keep every drop of water out, in a hard rain without the shields, I've seen a couple drops barely on the lip of the inside of the hood, I understand the concern, thats why the shield and zero drops get in...

I was too concerned until I did the mod.. now I'm happy I did
    Last edited by BBATCAR; 03-08-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Silver
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BBATCAR
    If you want to PM me , I can send you the email and contact that makes the foam seal and rain shields. He sells them as a set or separate. I bought the shields and did my own foam seal, but his pieces are very nice. Here is a picture. The shields are clear and black "catches" that fit exactly in the nostrils, so in the rain it is a 100% seal and you really don't see them.
    Thanks for the contact info on the rain shield kit.. I have yet to receive a response from him. I just sent another email today.. Hopefully I get a response soon.

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Honboy1
    Thanks for the contact info on the rain shield kit.. I have yet to receive a response from him. I just sent another email today.. Hopefully I get a response soon.
    I sent him an email too, and no response... He is usually good and I have bought things a couple times from him.. Maybe go through his email on the website... Hope he doesn't make me look bad...

Silver
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BBATCAR
    I sent him an email too, and no response... He is usually good and I have bought things a couple times from him.. Maybe go through his email on the website... Hope he doesn't make me look bad...
    I'll try that, thanks!

I sent an email out on March 4th and still haven't received a response either. It looks like a quality piece, hope to hear back soon. How do you find his e-mail address on webshots? Is it the same address?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

On my 02 I made the rear baffel removable. I trimmed the top down a bit and made the hood opening on the inside top a little bigger. Then I super glued 4 scews to the rear baffle for the threads would face the motor. I also super glued 4 small washers to the hood where the holes line up with screws. I used small wingnuts for removal and install it. I also put 2 small round cabinet knobs in the middle area for grip when putting in place. I only had to buy the scews and knobs so the whole thing cost me about $2. Rain never made up past the top of the baffel I took out the front one also. The plastic pieces in that kit sound easier to put on and take off though. But if your cheap or on a really tight budget this is a good option.

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by mje95gagt
    I sent an email out on March 4th and still haven't received a response either. It looks like a quality piece, hope to hear back soon. How do you find his e-mail address on webshots? Is it the same address?
    Sorry guys, I only have his email that I sent everyone & thought maybe he had something on webshots I guess not... He has not replied to my email so not sure what the deal is... I've ordered many things from him so I don't get it....

hmmm weird, well I will post when/if I hear back from him

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Anyone know where I can get the rain shields? I'm even interested in a used pair. I just installed my WS9 hood and it came with no baffles at all and this is my daily driver.
    Last edited by vannatte; 11-22-2007 at 04:57 PM.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    Anyone know where I can get the rain shields? I'm even interested in a used pair. I just installed my WS9 hood and it back with no baffles at all and this is my daily driver.
    Second that...

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I might have the rear baffles yet. If you do what I did in post #28 they should work if you have the stock WS6 hood. The after market hoods have different size baffles. No guarantees seeing I didn't see them for a couple of years, but I know I wouldn't have thrown them out unless someone else did which is possible. With the rear baffle you don't need the front ones unless your driving into a hurricane.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I was talking about these rain shields: http://www.ls1.com/forums/attachment...3&d=1141250388

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

IC Couldn't help you there.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

My car is a DD and I drive in rain all of the time (unfortunately) but I NEVER get more than a few drops in my Volant box. Also, I covered the rivot holes so no extra air can escape out of them.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I assume it will be fine but in case I get stuck in a downpour or while using the carwash, I'd like to have those rain shields.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BBATCAR View Post
    If you want to PM me , I can send you the email and contact that makes the foam seal and rain shields. He sells them as a set or separate. I bought the shields and did my own foam seal, but his pieces are very nice. Here is a picture. The shields are clear and black "catches" that fit exactly in the nostrils, so in the rain it is a 100% seal and you really don't see them.

Would you PM me the information on where to get that kit too?

Thanks!!

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

how much are the kits??

artic white
    99 ws6 t/a

i sealed mine ..drove in the rain on the highway...there was water building up under the air filter on the metal..i removed the filter..dabbed it with a paper towel and it was dry...so i think its good unless ur sprayin water directly into the hood ...

A4 debaffled,sealed,full SLP exhuast,SLP lid,blackwing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information