cut outs

This is a discussion on cut outs within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; not really familiar with cut outs but if i were to get one i saw that theres around 3 or ...

White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

cut outs

not really familiar with cut outs but if i were to get one i saw that theres around 3 or 4 places to get it done on the exhaust on install university, was just wondering wich one had the most gains? or instead of cutout should i just go with gutted cats?

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by cspeich2011 View Post
    not really familiar with cut outs but if i were to get one i saw that theres around 3 or 4 places to get it done on the exhaust on install university, was just wondering wich one had the most gains? or instead of cutout should i just go with gutted cats?
    It depends on what type of sound your are looking for; cutouts are loud as hell, gutted cats will prob produce a litle deeper tone but with more rasp. cutouts on a true dual setup would be the loudest, but if you are wanting them on a stock exhaust, anywhere after the y-pipe & before the muffler will yield similar gains..... also, (and i'm just guessing on this) but I assume if you put it closer to the y pipe it would sound slightly different than closer to the muffler since the exhaust right after the Y-pipe is more turbulent since the two flow streams (from each header) are converging into one. By the time it reaches the muffler, even though its near instantaneous, it will be more of a laminar (smooth) flow resulting in a different sound. like a said though, that may not be true, i'm just thinking out loud (via typing lol)

Or you could be a real badass and just dump straight from the headers and forget the rest of the exhaust ........ hell, who needs headers?!
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 04-28-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

im getting my DMH electric cut-out today, cant wait! sorry just had to share

2002 Black WS6

I would put it right under the Rear Passenger seat. If you look underneath the car, you can see where a cut out would fit perfect. Whether you have cats or not, that's a good place to put it IMO. Sounds great in that location w/ or w/o cats

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

I picked up .10 second and 3 MPH in the 1/4 after getting mine installed....on the 02 WS6 i had. and I loved the sound with it wide open.

White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

what is DMH exactly mean? and cant be 2 loud where ill get pulled over, and how much will an eletric one done run me?

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

what is DMH exactly mean? and cant be 2 loud where ill get pulled over, and how much will an eletric one done run me?
    DMH is the company (DMH Performance)... An electric would run you about $200 for a single cutout, $300+ for duals.. Def. the way to go though in my opinion. Installation is pretty staightforward..And if youre worried about being too loud, a cutout may not be what you are looking for; you really would have to pay attention to when/where you open it.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

what's cool about the electric cut out is you can open it as much or as little as you like to control the amount of noise you want to make. Basically with it wide open it sounds like the muffler fell off the car.

Thread Information