White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

Custom Paint for WS6

Ok, so I've had my Ram Air Formula WS6 for some time know and never really knew on what graphics or custom paint to get on the body to make the car really stand out, and then it hit me. I fell in love with the idea of Ice instead of Flames on the side. So, now the only question is, where to find a shop that would do the work (Jacksonville, FL) and how much might it run? Also, my bird is white and i want to put a light blue clearcoat (forgot what its called but it gives the car the blue tinge like an iceberg or the blue color of ice while keeping the car white). So, any ideas and estimates would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Formula_Ls1

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Your probably thinking of a blue candy mid coat. It's not made to be the top coat that is exposed to the elements. It will still need to be clear coated over. If you decide to use flames, you can copy the style I did on my WS6.

White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

Ah, so a mid coat, thanks... and i'm not really interested in flames, instead of flames i'm looking for like an icesickle look comming from off of the front tires. know where i could find some ideas?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that sounds bad ass...i can give you a hand: take a picture of your car's profile and the 3/4 and I'll try to photoshop something on there. Just email the pix to me

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

Awesome! I'll send ya te pics soon so i can see what ya come up with. Thanks for the help! I cant wait to see your ideas.

Navy Blue
    2001 Formula

I have a custom painted Baja 40 Outlaw (offshore boat). It has a white Ice effect on several surfaces. This may be something of interest for you. I'll post a picture. Hope you can make it out. It is very subtle.

Here goes.

Oh by the way, I have a 2001 Dark Blue Formula M6, stock daily driver. Wish it was a WS6.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by italian ice View Post
    I have a custom painted Baja 40 Outlaw (offshore boat). It has a white Ice effect on several surfaces. This may be something of interest for you. I'll post a picture. Hope you can make it out. It is very subtle.

Here goes.

Oh by the way, I have a 2001 Dark Blue Formula M6, stock daily driver. Wish it was a WS6.
    put a hood and a stiffer sway bar on it: then you're there.

navy blue metallic
    2000 camaro ss

Good paint job,about 5g's.Excellent paint job with graphics 10g's.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

here, i messed with it.

White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

Holy Shit that looks tight. So about 10g's huh? i better get to savin' lol. But damn 3rd shift, thats nice. How much you think that'll run me? also, you think it'll look even more pimp with a blue mid coat?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

on my monitor, your car had a bit of a blue tint, so i didn't try to emulate that...sorry if it doesn't com across on yout end. I'm by no means a custom car shop-i'm a graphic designer [web+print] so i don't know what itll charge.

I dont' know how freaky you wanna get with it; but i do suggest covering the entire car in a super-light ghost-gray. Like one shade darker than the whit they'll use on the ice. It should help the ice pop a bit more. I don't know if it came accross correctly, but i was shooting for almost like a flying comet effect, where the nose would basically be solid white with an subtle fade into the hood, and then it trails off into white ice shards down the side.

Good luck man, i think this could be really sick. Definatly gonna need some rims and tips to complement it all. glad you like it.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

come to think of it, i saw a pretty rad stripe job where the guy did metallic black stripes on gloss black car. The thing was, he did a cool effect with cellophane; he crumbled it up and blotted the wet metallic stripes and it put a bunch of chopped up, almost ice-shards in it. It didn't look like ice [as it wasn't his intention] but i think a similar effect could be used on your car to get the look your going for: use metallic pearl white on the gloss white.

Navy Blue
    2001 Formula

The celophane effect is exactly how my boat was done. I can tell you it will not cost you 10 grand for what you want, unless you get nuts with it.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Third shift, I believe your talking about a House of Color product called Marbilizer. You usually wrinkle up some saranwrap and then lay it on top of the paint and peel it back off and it will leave the wrinkle marks in the paint. I've used it a few time when I painted some harley tanks. But if you want to see how ice should look. Then go to my buddys web site. Killerpaint.com. Go to the gallery and click on the automobiles.The car that will be shown belongs to a friend of mine called Blue Ice.
    Also if it costs less then 5 grand I would be concerned about the quality of prep work they will do, and yes I've see them cost as much as 10 grand, since they will have to reclear the hole front of your car all the way back to the doors, which means that the only thing not painted will be the quarter panels. Unless you want to get tape line paper cuts everytime you wash your car and you have them just do the ice, which I believe won't look as good. My flames, you will not feel any tape lines since I recleared the hole panel over my flames. Yes, I am very anal about things like that when I paint a car. It's the small details like that, that will make or break a paint job.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 09-23-2006 at 06:23 PM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that dude's work is sick! you know him????? wow...

note: i couldn't find the ice one.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Third Shift, the picture of the close up of the ice, is on the third row down and fourth one over to the right in the gallery under automobiles. He just finished painting a snowmobile helmet for me, I'm going to have him paint my 74 camaro also, when I get it ready. I have been hanging out with him for the last three years, and my parents have been hanging out with him for the last 10 years. The ice isn't the lay out that would fit a firebird, but it is a great example of how the ice should look and the detail it needs. It's kind of interesting that he wants ice on a car in hot Florida and I have fire on a car in the frozen north of Alaska.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

hmmm, is there a texture effect on that dark blue area? other wise, all i see is like ice cubes. I tried to click on other pix of the same car, but i don't think he's looking for ice cubes. he wants like shards of ice, think superman's house, only after a battle...

not dissing on killerpaint, i mean that thing was sweet and i'm sure it's what the owner wanted.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Correct, but if they don't put any or much detail into the ice it will look like scallops. Which isn't what he wants or will be happy with. That is what I wanted to clarify before he started going around to body shops. Since that plays a very important factor in the pricing of the paint and prep work.
    I was thinking pretty close to the design that you used but as many years as I've been around paint colors I like the subtle colors that you use, but I don't think ice would be ice with out some blue, or candy blue like in that picture on the car. I can't tell if your design is an outline like my flames or solid grey/silver. Also it is very easy to over do graphics on these cars, like I've see many times with flames. Which means they need to take everything into account before any color begins to fly, the point of no return. When done right it should look great and I hope this helps to make that happen.

2000pontiac6
    His flame work is some of the best i've seen! Id love blue flames like that on my NBM bird. Just curious as to about how much do you think a flame paint job costs

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

It is actually called true fire. Flames are what I put on my car. I just had them paint the blue fire on my black helmet and it cost me $500 and looks awsome. I would not be surprised to see $5000 and up. Like I commented before the whole front of the car will need to be reclearcoated. His work by no means is cheap, but if he's good enough to have Chip Foose ask him to paint for him, then that's who I will have paint my stuff because I know it will be done right and look sick. Right now his shop is full of SEMA projects, and he will be appearing on Overhauling again soon. He just got back from filming late last week.

Thread Information