Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Coolant and hose change

Getting ready to do a coolant and hose change on our '02 WS6. Have read more threads than I can count on whether to Dexcool or not, so will skip that issue. About half the parts store hoses are the "cut to fit" variety so I am considering going to our local dealership and simply ordering everything (assuming it is still available). How tough is it to get to the heater hoses on the firewall? Other than the air bleed and throttle body hoses, are there any other "hidden" hoses I need to look for? Lastly, are the block drains accessible?

NBM
    1998 Z-28

I thought the coolant hoses we're pretty simple to replace and I think you listed them all. I would personally go with the pre molded ones from GM despite them being more expensive.

The block plug is on the drivers side and I had to remove the alternator to get to it, easy to get to with the alternator out. The block plug is a big hex plug, I forget what size, just a heads up if you don't have the right hex socket.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thank you for the info. That's strange that the block drain is only on one side -- must have a crossover in the block that allows both banks to drain. I have to change the belt too, so removing the alternator won't be a problem.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

I bought all gates hoses from an auto parts store that were pre cut and pre molded. This was much cheaper than the stealership and gates makes good hoses. There was only one that I had to cut a little bit... but the mold was fine. It was teh one from the power steering cooler to the radiator. The heater core hose is a dealer item... it costs around $150. This hose was a pain in the A$% to change. I found going from underneath was the easiest to remove the torx head bolt but you have very limited space to get a rachet head down there. Also use the pliers that get the factory clamps off as they are hard to reach in the back. Once you get the clamps off the hose will be stuck to the heater core. Just take a knife and cit the hoses off. There are a few parts to remove off the car to make the job easier... like the EGR.. AIR tube... and remove the wire that is clamps down ontop of the hoses to make removing and installing easier. Give yourself plenty of time because it is a tight squeeze.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just ordered the hoses and found out that the heater set costs $150.00. I have a "hose clamp tool" I picked up at Carlisle last year, so I should be able to reach things. Thank you for the info!

Thread Information