Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A4 Red
    1999 Trans Am

Convert power antenna to fixed antenna

I want to convert my power antenna to a fixed antenna. How would I do that, and where would I buy the parts?

Thanks for any help

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

why would you want to do that??

It looks better with the antenna down.

A better idea would be to wire a switch to only put the antenna up when you want to.

black
    1998 trans am

Get one from a camaro and bolt it right in.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Hell I wish my camaro had power antenna. I HATE the antenna. I took it off.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

all you haveto do is buy even a radio shack one but preferably one off a firebird or a camaro.... then you unbolt the power one and put the solid one in, connect the antanae to the antanae cord, theres already a splice in the connection back there...

but in all seriousness why do you want to get a solid mount one? i would just do like i did and wire it to a switch like i did, that way when i have it on my ipod or playing cd's i can leave it down so it doesnt get bent or knocked off if hit but flip the switch and up it goes and bam good reception..

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The best thing to do is to get a plug to delete it(or weld it) and buy an antenna that tucks under the dash.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Ok so i was asked to kinda try to give as best as i could on how to wire the antanae onto a switch, so here goes, for starters this is where i put my switch, and is the only pic i got but i will try to be vivid with descriptions...

the upper one is exhaust cutouts and the rocker switch is the antanea, but I also have a Pioneer head unit, so mine was simple, but here is the basic idea, there are 3 (maybe 2) wires, a positive, a remote wire, and a ground of some sort...(i dont remember if it is an actual wire or just grounded to the frame)... the only one you need to worry about is to find your remote wire behind your radio under the dash, I don't have a wiring code for our cars so i do not know what one it is, but i will do some looking after im done with this...

but back on topic, you have your remote wire all you need to do is take your switch you are going to use and splice it into the remote wire as and interrupter switch, you may need to add wire to both ends of the remote wire to reach your switch, depending on where you put it, i did and to make things simpler, i used speaker wire so that it was 2 wires as a single, and less clutter

then mount your switch and connect one side of the remote wire to each side of the switch and your good to go.... this way when the switch allows the current to go through the remote wire to the antanae it senses it is on and will power up, but when the switch interrupts the connection it senses the radio is off and will stay down or power down depending on where it currently was....

well thats about all i can do at the moment, but if you have any other questions ask away ill do my best to help...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1841.html

the stock color for the remote wire is the pink one.... see above site for any other questions on what wire goes where....

blue
    1998 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    The best thing to do is to get a plug to delete it(or weld it) and buy an antenna that tucks under the dash.
    is there a kit somewhere to do this
    Built A4 with B&M Transpak shift kit, Hooker Lt's, 0RY, 4in cutout, Debaffled, K&N, SLP Lid, Bellows, p+p+descreened MAF,TB bypass, 180 degree Theromostat, AC removed, RP Trans fluid, oil, MSD 8.5 wires, Autolite Xtreme perf plugs, Nitto DR

Coming soon SFC, 373 gears, 96mm intake/96mm TB, Tune

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I'd do it because my power antenna doesn't work properly. But I just pushed it down and disconnected the motor. I always use satellite radio of my mp3 player anyway.

When I get around to it, I'll do one of the hidden antennas.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_98_ws6 View Post
    is there a kit somewhere to do this
    No. You can go to any hardware store and find a plug that fits or you have have a body shop fill in the whole. Ebay has the "mastless" antennas

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Have you done this? if so, where'd you get the antenna to put under the dash. when i get my car repainted(itll need it in a few years) i wanna delete the antenna. i like the sleek look and that 50 inch power antenna doesn't do it for me. i never use my radio(ipod) so its not like i need one, but itd be good to have one under the dash in case i wanna use it

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Its on the wish list. I just capped mine off with a rubber plug(black) and have it undone right now. This will fit under the dashcap or in the wheel well perfectly.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Thanks man. guess later i won't just be deletin the antenna, i'm going to do that

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Its on the wish list. I just capped mine off with a rubber plug(black) and have it undone right now. This will fit under the dashcap or in the wheel well perfectly.

Click for full size
    Yeah. I removed mine too, but don't have a plug for it right now. I assume water may cause damage if it gets in the hole?

Black
    1999 Firebird

Well I just thought I would butt in, why would u want to do any of that I understand if you want something different but if you have a problem with it like the motor doesn't work or something u can just buy a new one for $50 dollars and there you go just like new. And its easy to change but if you want to go all fancy about it then go with their ideas.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I never listen to the radio. I have a USB stereo I always use.

A4 Red
    1999 Trans Am

I found a short 8" antenna I liked is why I asked this question. My antenna don't work due to the remote wire for my Pioneer radio going to the amp in the back instead of the antenna. So where's the best place to get a mast for my car?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Red 99 T/A View Post
    I found a short 8" antenna I liked is why I asked this question. My antenna don't work due to the remote wire for my Pioneer radio going to the amp in the back instead of the antenna. So where's the best place to get a mast for my car?
    You still could have done this, I also run a pioneer headunit with an amp in the back, you just wire all 3 together and it works just fine, just make sure that if you do the switch thing like i did that you only switch the antanea wire not before the amp connection too, othewise it will shut your amp off also....

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by TruThug View Post
    Well I just thought I would butt in, why would u want to do any of that I understand if you want something different but if you have a problem with it like the motor doesn't work or something u can just buy a new one for $50 dollars and there you go just like new. And its easy to change but if you want to go all fancy about it then go with their ideas.
    i understand, changing the motors not the problem that'd be easy compared to welding it shut and shavin it off. theres multiple reasonswhy i wanna, the main reason is aesthetics. i hate the look of the 8 foot antenna on what i think is one of the sleekest cars and it doesnt flow to me. i dont know bout the others. the other reason is like others, i never use my radio i use my ipod. and with the antenna joshiedoom just showed means i can still keep my antenna, but i can shave it from the rear panel. i'm not planning on selling my car, so power antenna as an option doesn't matter to me. i don't know bout everyone else, but thats my thought on the topic

Thread Information