Considering a Trans Am, couple questions first...

This is a discussion on Considering a Trans Am, couple questions first... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Well my 2005 Mustang has been hit for the SECOND time and I've about had it, I believe this thing ...

Considering a Trans Am, couple questions first...

Well my 2005 Mustang has been hit for the SECOND time and I've about had it, I believe this thing is bad luck or something. Before the stang I was in the market for a late model Trans Am but a begging 18 year old can't be a chooser, ya know how it goes I guess.

I was wondering though, what is the most mileage I should look at when it comes to having the car for a good 4 or 5 years and modding it to run respectable times at the strip? Also what's a good price for the mileage as well. I really want the WS6 package so keep that in mind as well. I've seen a lot of them around with 40,000-50,000 for under $18k and that seems reasonable but I want to make sure that's a decent mileage. Thanks for any replies.

Any car that is at least 4 years old and has 50k or less is great. My LT-1 Vette has ~84k on it and runs like a champ. My dad's '01 Camaro has almost 120k on it and it still runs strong. If you take car of the car and to the proper maintenance then it will last for well over 100k miles.

see thats what I figured, and since its an LS1 i was banking on it being a strong engine

San Diego

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

LS1's are INCREDIBLE engines. Of course, proper maintenence is always the key, when your looking around its always good if you are the 2nd owner, and the original owner kept all the receipts for things like oil, scheduled check-ups, stuff like that. Just FYI, when I first bought my 98 TA, it had 124,xxx miles on it, factory everything, and that thing ran so damn strong I was scared of it at first! That just shows how strong they are with over 100 grand, imagine with less than 40g's..So if you find one with less than 40,000 miles, AND proof of good maintenence, you will be good to go for a very long time :-) Good luck bro

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Pittsburgh, PA

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

if you're tracking it, get a regular Trans Am, b/c you'll end up tearing off the "upgrades" from the ws.6 and replacing them anyway with real after-market parts.

Trans Ams are WS6's. ws6's have better factory suspension, about .75" wider exhaust, 17" rims [instead of 16"], and the most noticable difference-the ram air hood. If you track it, you'll probably add drag radials, stiffer suspension gizmos, and want to lighten it by getting a fiberglass ram-air hood. Look at the differences in prices for a low milaged t/a VS a low milaged ws.6

don't get me wrong, the ws.6 is a bad ass lookin car, but the above is just something to consider for your cars use.

shoot for an 01 and up model, they have better synchronizers...actually, here is a list of the differences through the years: LS1 differences through the years
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 01-24-2006 at 12:48 PM.

NW Georgia

flat black
    for the money def buy a non ram can buy a non ram air 98-02 anywhere from 8-14k...depending on lots of WS.6 with ebony interior and speedlines is gonna be by far the most expensive bird you will find...some times you can buy a hawk cheaper...if you really look...make sure you open the door....WS6 will be in the list of option codes for a real WS.6 and WU6 will be in the option codes for a real should also have an SLP badge with all the applicable upgrades as well

'99 LS1 T/A, low mileage

Signed on as a new mbr. today. My hope was to get a feel for what my son's '99 LS1 T/A coupe is worth. This thread is very helpful. In particular, the advice to avoid the WS6 and concentrate on finding an LS1 to upgrade encouraged me. My son is about to purchase his first home and will be selling his car. It is: exceptionally clean, blemish free, black w gray leather, all service records, 17" highly polished wheels, always garaged and pampered, and it has less than 32,000 miles. The trany is automatic. Windows have been professionally tinted, 500 watt, 10 speaker "Monsoon" audio w/ CD. etc. etc. etc. Oh yea! it is very fast. Any way Kentucky is next to Mo. If you would like to investigate further, contact me. My son has not set a price yet but I'm confident it will be in the range of $17,000.

Thread Information