Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Complete Newb seeking advice...

This is a discussion on Complete Newb seeking advice... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ^ very true. With fwd cars obviously doin a lot better. I got my car in february and I live ...

LPM
    2000 Z28

^ very true. With fwd cars obviously doin a lot better. I got my car in february and I live in WV so I had snow/ice to deal with. At the time it was my daily driver. I think you would be fine as long as your careful. There were a few times where black ice scared the piss outa me but I never lost it or anything. Taking off in second also helps if it's really slick.

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

yeh all cars slide on ice. But the torque of our cars+rwd+ a really light rear=you better know what you're doing lol

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Just today I noticed the top of both door panels have small crack lines maybe 1/2" vertically. This is a 2002 WS6 with 8000 miles. Do they continue to crack further down? Is there a fix or do they keep coming back ? To me it's no big deal unless the door panel integrity is in danger.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    yeh all cars slide on ice. But the torque of our cars+rwd+ a really light rear=you better know what you're doing lol
    I'm not disagreeing at all. Our weight ratio front to back isn't all that far off from 50/50.

Jeff - didn't you weigh your car on scales once and get a pretty even weight distribution?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Jeff - didn't you weigh your car on scales once and get a pretty even weight distribution?

Thread: On the scales

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Just today I noticed the top of both door panels have small crack lines maybe 1/2" vertically. This is a 2002 WS6 with 8000 miles. Do they continue to crack further down? Is there a fix or do they keep coming back ? To me it's no big deal unless the door panel integrity is in danger.
    there's a sticky around here somewhere on how to fix it and prevent it,

basically the rubber window felt the runs along the top of the panel has a steel skeleton, it does not flex under temperature changes, but the plastic stapled to it does, thusly, the plastic forms stress cracks, you have to pry the thick staples off with a screwdriver and thread a paperclip through hole and tie it like a bread tie to allow the plastic to conform its own way,

sounds ghetto, but it is completely unnoticable when the panel is back on, and the felt window guide will not shift or move around like you would think it would.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thread: On the scales
    that's quite interesting

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

I have not had my car in the snow and I do not plan to. Last year I had to drive my 99 2wd dakota through the winter and it was horrable. One day it took me 10 minuets to get out of my neighborhood. My neighbor has a awd subaru wrx and hit a patch of ice and almost took out a mailbox I hit the same patch (before he said anything about it) and was real sideways but saved it im prety proud of the fact that I made it through the winter in my truck some how my right rear tire was bald maby a few to many burnouts haha. But now I drive a 2000 grand prix gtp as a winter driver and its so much better. It has traction control, abs, decent tires, and most of all its front wheel drive. Im sure with some decent tires, a good driver and a little luck you will be ok but I wouldent risk it or someone else hitting me unless I really had to.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    The only thing I can complain about these cars is that certain repairs/upgrades can be an absolute PITA for a noob. You may think otherwise if you're really handy.
    What kinds of upgrades or repairs? I don't plan on a DIY everything for maintenance and repairs, but I do take my car to the shop for about 40% of issues on average. I used to own an '88 Toyota Celica GT-Four(turbo AWD, very rare) and for that I've had tons of interior work, a few turbo installs(long story there), some wiring work... I'm definitely not a master mechanic but if it doesn't involve an engine/tranny pull or a lift I'm fairly comfortable doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't mean to sound like an ass...but ALL cars slide on ICE.
    That they do. Scariest thing I've ever been in was swerving to avoid a cat darting across the road in my Legend. I ended up doing a full 180 slide across the street and miraculously stopped before hitting the curb on the other side of the street(this was about 2AM with no traffic on the roads). I got out and I was so close to the curb it looked like I had parked there. After that I scrimped as much as I could and got a set of studded winter tires slapped on.

Quote Originally Posted by bouigha123 View Post
    I have not had my car in the snow and I do not plan to. Last year I had to drive my 99 2wd dakota through the winter and it was horrable. One day it took me 10 minuets to get out of my neighborhood. My neighbor has a awd subaru wrx and hit a patch of ice and almost took out a mailbox I hit the same patch (before he said anything about it) and was real sideways but saved it im prety proud of the fact that I made it through the winter in my truck some how my right rear tire was bald maby a few to many burnouts haha. But now I drive a 2000 grand prix gtp as a winter driver and its so much better. It has traction control, abs, decent tires, and most of all its front wheel drive. Im sure with some decent tires, a good driver and a little luck you will be ok but I wouldent risk it or someone else hitting me unless I really had to.
    I definitely agree with the point that other people are a huge risk in bad road conditions. If it's bad out I avoid main roads like the plague and take only side streets or routes where I avoid other drivers as much as possible. Case in point:

On the day that video was taken I had to drive home from work(about 10 miles). The only reason I wasn't a part of that video was because I avoided that area completely and took less-traveled residential side streets and kept off the main roads. Accidents do happen, but being careful really helps to mitigate those risks.
    Sas likes this.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

OP - just get a beater car for a few grand to drive in the winter. Problem solved.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That last white truck. What a f'in idiot

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is an amazing video. I have never seen anything like that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

.....wow where was this?

I can see that down here where no one has seen snow let alone drive in it.

LPM
    2000 Z28

When I lived at the beach it snowed once and was melted by noon the next day. Me being from WV I went out just to play in it. The roads were lined with wreckers and I passed two small pile ups lol. It's not that bad if you're used to it, but people that have never seen it... Watch out

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    .....wow where was this?

I can see that down here where no one has seen snow let alone drive in it.
    This is in Colorado Springs, CO, where I live. Just completely floors me how people seem to forget how to drive in snow throughout the rest of the year when we get this stuff once or twice every season. It doesn't get this bad that often but it also goes to show that even having a big 4WD truck isn't going to help if the driver doesn't know how to drive in those conditions. Some people just think that they can go through anything instead of making a smart decision and avoiding areas where there's utter carnage on both sides of the street.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Must have had some transplants from the south driving in that video. I live in ATL and whenever it rains everyone's IQ (except mine ... lol) drop 50 points .... can you imagine how many points for snow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information