Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
Like Tree4Likes

Common Problem For the 98-02 F bodies???

This is a discussion on Common Problem For the 98-02 F bodies??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Just extra weight and garbage under the hood to me. I did install cats though when I upgraded our exhaust, ...

  1. #21
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Just extra weight and garbage under the hood to me. I did install cats though when I upgraded our exhaust, so I kept our car at least semi-legal.

  2. #22
    Member DarrenWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Blossburg, PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    414

    Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Just last night I got the CEL, code ran P1416. Air pump or the valve. I see it going in the near future anyway if it is not a necessity. No emissions check here, and inspection is due this September.

    On a small note, I hope my car isn't about to fall all apart. Today the girlfriend came out and said my front right DRL was out. I looked and sure enough it was. So I went and bought some bulbs. Replaced the taillight bulbs and fixed the one that was out, and replaced the front DRL/blinkers with fresh ones with dielectric grease. At first I didn't like the location of the bulb connection on the fixture, but then I thought about it's location, and water somehow entering, should be a hell of a lot harder with it at the bottom of the fixture. Then I thought it was pretty genius.
    Last edited by DarrenWS6; 08-17-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

    SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

  3. #23
    Junior Member RCH33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    23

    Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CE

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    Just last night I got the CEL, code ran P1416. Air pump or the valve. I see it going in the near future anyway if it is not a necessity. No emissions check here, and inspection is due this September.

    On a small note, I hope my car isn't about to fall all apart. Today the girlfriend came out and said my front right DRL was out. I looked and sure enough it was. So I went and bought some bulbs. Replaced the taillight bulbs and fixed the one that was out, and replaced the front DRL/blinkers with fresh ones with dielectric grease. At first I didn't like the location of the bulb connection on the fixture, but then I thought about it's location, and water somehow entering, should be a hell of a lot harder with it at the bottom of the fixture. Then I thought it was pretty genius.
    Is there a "Sticky" or directions somewhere on the correct procedure for changing those?? I was just in that area replacing a Pass. Side headlight motor gear and saw the DRL and felt around and thought to myself that this might be hard to change! Is it hard to change?

  4. #24
    Member DarrenWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Blossburg, PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    414

    Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by RCH33 View Post
    Is there a "Sticky" or directions somewhere on the correct procedure for changing those?? I was just in that area replacing a Pass. Side headlight motor gear and saw the DRL and felt around and thought to myself that this might be hard to change! Is it hard to change?
    From what I gather it is a simple harness/socket replacement by cutting the 3 wires, then splicing the new ones in place.

  5. #25
    Junior Member RCH33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    23

    Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CE

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    From what I gather it is a simple harness/socket replacement by cutting the 3 wires, then splicing the new ones in place.

    What I meant was to change the bulb. When I felt back there it wasn't obvious on how to get the bulb out, let alone the housing. I did feel what seemed like a screw on the back of the housing on one side, but not sure if you can reach everything through the the headlight opening or you have to do it from underneath.

  6. #26
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    You simply drop the access panel by removing a couple of 10 mm bolts, reach up in there and rotate the socket counterclockwise to remove it.

  7. #27
    Junior Member RCH33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    23

    Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CE

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You simply drop the access panel by removing a couple of 10 mm bolts, reach up in there and rotate the socket counterclockwise to remove it.
    Thanks Jeff... I did try a little to turn the socket when I was in there, but didn't try too hard in case that wasn't the way and I didn't want to break anything since I was already changing the headlight motor gear. It doesn't sound too bad then.

    By-the-Way any word on Summitt yet?

  8. #28
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    now if you need to replace the DRL housing there are some screws to remove. PITA. If you do switch I recommend drilling a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the drl housing for drainage. Did mine and my bulbs last a lot longer...
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

    6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

    Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

  9. #29
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,325

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by RCH33 View Post
    What I meant was to change the bulb. When I felt back there it wasn't obvious on how to get the bulb out, let alone the housing. I did feel what seemed like a screw on the back of the housing on one side, but not sure if you can reach everything through the the headlight opening or you have to do it from underneath.
    On 98-02 Trans Am's, all one needs to do is out thier hand in the hole below the DRL/TS, feel and follow the wire to push in the tab on the bulb socket and pull it out. My bulb wire harness had enough length to even let me splice in a new bulb socket/wire.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    now if you need to replace the DRL housing there are some screws to remove. PITA. If you do switch I recommend drilling a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the drl housing for drainage. Did mine and my bulbs last a lot longer...
    ^This so much!!

  10. #30
    Member DarrenWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Blossburg, PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    414

    Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    On 98-02 Trans Am's, all one needs to do is out thier hand in the hole below the DRL/TS, feel and follow the wire to push in the tab on the bulb socket and pull it out. My bulb wire harness had enough length to even let me splice in a new bulb socket/wire.
    I tried this first, but gave up quick and put the car in the air. Perhaps my hands are a bit large, but I just refuse to take the risk of scratching up the paint. Plus I hate working 'blind' or by 'feel'. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to my paint and finish though. I have flipped people off flying down the street hitting the edge causing a dusting in the air through my pathway. I may be a bit too crazy but I don't care who you are, a fancy/nice car is recognizable. When a nice car is on the street, be respectful and don't dust it.


  11. #31
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    that's not weird at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Alright....is this a common problem?!
    By SajoR in forum General Help
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 05:54 AM
  2. This a Common Problem?
    By Smkn_TA in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 08:09 PM
  3. Is this a common problem?
    By Speed Psychosis in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 08:16 PM
  4. what do these have in common
    By ztrouble in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
  5. Common value of WS6
    By Formula_LS1 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •