? cold air with ws6

This is a discussion on ? cold air with ws6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i have an 01 ta ws6 i purchased the slp cold air package, it comes with the stainless steel induction ...

? cold air with ws6

i have an 01 ta ws6 i purchased the slp cold air package, it comes with the stainless steel induction piece do i need that with my ram air? how is ti going to affect it?

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Should allow even more air to flow into the engine if its needed. i cant see it hurting anything.

Ignition Orange Metallic
    '08 G8 GT

Did you purchase it from the Ws6 store? If not, where? Also, If you dont mind me asking, how much? Im currently shopping for one.

I got it from LMPerformance, inc. www.lmperformance.com i payed $306.
    i heard from someone that if you add both that it creates some kind of turblance between the two. i dont know

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

There was another post about this situation. Basically what became of it is, the turbulance between the two intakes canceling out the gain in hp is a myth. The more air you can get into your engine the better. Also, you don't have to bother with putting in that metal "cold air" box. It's not going to make any difference in the temperature of the air that will be forced into the filter. Just cut the holes in the plastic under the filter for a "free ram air mod"

Free Ram Air mod
    Check the pics on page three of this forum.
    Is a lid and filter worth it?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Your ram air hood doesnt add any hp anyway.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    There was another post about this situation. Basically what became of it is, the turbulance between the two intakes canceling out the gain in hp is a myth. The more air you can get into your engine the better. Also, you don't have to bother with putting in that metal "cold air" box. It's not going to make any difference in the temperature of the air that will be forced into the filter. Just cut the holes in the plastic under the filter for a "free ram air mod"

Free Ram Air mod
    Check the pics on page three of this forum.
    Is a lid and filter worth it?

The SLP might not make a difference alone but if you get fast toys "ram Air" extention it should. I know my home made ducting w/ scoop made a difference from the free mod.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

2002T/A guru is right, the ram air hood doesnt really do anything from the factory. The only thing I could think of to give it a real ram air effect, was remove that huge stock inner rain baffle, removed the front honeycomb nostrils, added SLP lid, and then purchased a styrofoam plastic piece(from the BG kit) that mounts & seals the airbox opening to the hood opening.
    It's an extremely tight/snug fit that directly connects the outside air to the airbox only. It also doesnt allow ANY of the hot engine air to enter airbox, whatsoever. Oh yeah I also plugged the 3 holes found on the ram air part on the underside of the hood with 3 rubber grommets- so no air would leak out in these places, before it reached the airbox.

JR.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

And that folks is true ram air, the setup form the factory does nothing at all but make you pay 3k more.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I wouldnt say the Ram Air does nothing on the WS6 Trans Am. You get 15-20 HP with it and it looks really nice. That is a fact. If it did nothing then there would be 0 gain on the dyno. Science proves that there is a gain. Now is it substantial.... No. That I agree with. I still opt to have the Ram Air. It hurts nothing and it in my opinion completes the T/A.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Are you guys saying that the stock airbox is exactly the same for a non-WS6 and a WS6? I was under the impression that the non-WS6 breathed from the slit under the lid and the WS6 breathed directly from the ramair holes on the front of the car. Again, bear with my ignorance, LS1's are a little unfamiliar to me, but I want to learn as much as possible about them before buying one.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Thread Information