Silver
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Codes keep poppin up - help!

2002 TA WS6 M6
    I keep popping p010, p131 and p151.
    The last 2 are O2 sensor low voltage conditions and the p010 is mass air flow code.

I put brand new bosch O2 sensors in a couple weeks ago and checked my air filter [k&N and not dirty at all]. Yes, I put the sensors in the correct place right off the headers [not the ones behind the cats].

If I drive normally, they never pop. If I hop out on a freeway and push RPMs to 5k before each shift, it usually pops these codes witha check engine light.
    You can usually feel it bog down or hesitate slightly in the 3-4k rpm range.

I put a new fuel filter on today [needed changed anyway - original one with 57K miles] and it still popped it.

Any idea on where to look next? I am running a Diablo predator tune in it [have newest firmware, too]. I might try taking the performance tune out of it and see if it changes anything.

THanks for any ideas you can offer! Oh - and always use at LEAST 91 octane fuel.

Dan

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

You said headers,are long tubes installed? I get the p1131 and p1151 codes now a year after I installed long tubes and ory.I looked a this site and others and some have had luck with the corvette bosch o2s,some say get a tune and delete these codes.I changed fuel filter and installed denso o2s and all that did was make the light come on intermittedly instead of all the time. When I get the speedo calibrated I am going to ask him to delete the codes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Silver
    2002 TA WS6 M6

No, it's an all stock engine/ehaust except for the flowmaster catbacks.
    I've been reading and googling since I posted.
    I'm wondering if the Diablo tune has given it just enough HP over stock that it's not getting enough air?!

I was looking at an SLP MAF sensor that says it can add up to 10HP by itself. Perhaps, that should be next on my list of purchases.

It makes sense as they never pop under normal driving conditions.
    Any recommendations other than SLP?

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

You stock MAF is capable of supporting a lot of h.p. My opinion...the slp maf is a waste of money on a mostly stock t/a.these are switching codes so I doubt the Diablo tune has caused the codes. There is a thread here, use the search and type in p1131 and p1151 there is a ton of info there and will help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by dgoett View Post
    No, it's an all stock engine/ehaust except for the flowmaster catbacks.
    I've been reading and googling since I posted.
    I'm wondering if the Diablo tune has given it just enough HP over stock that it's not getting enough air?!

I was looking at an SLP MAF sensor that says it can add up to 10HP by itself. Perhaps, that should be next on my list of purchases.

It makes sense as they never pop under normal driving conditions.
    Any recommendations other than SLP?

Nooooooooooo! Fix the problem. Don't add to it by messing with the MAF. Your car is getting plenty of air through the stock induction system, so long as it is clean and has no obstructions. Is the current MAF stock? Has it been modified in any fashion? If it has been modified that could be the problem.

Has the MAF been cleaned lately with the spray MAF cleaner? If not, the oil particles from your filter will adhere to the sensor wire and then the dirt that passes through your K&N will adhere to that. This acts to insulate the wire and the PCM reads this as less air coming into the engine, thus resulting in a lean condition.

Is your air intake ducting secure? Any air leaks between the MAF and the throttle body are unmetered and will lean out the engine. How about you PCV hose on the side of the throttle body? Is it cracked? Again, this would allow unmetered air into the engine.

If none of the above correct the issue I would re-install the stock tune and try it. If that does not work, get a scanner on there that allows you to read the raw sensor data. You should see you front O2 senders rapidly toggling up and down as the engine in running. Let us know what you find.

Silver
    2002 TA WS6 M6

thanks pajeff02 for your thoughts.
    MAF is all original and i have not cleaned it.

I'll stop by auto zone today and buy some CRC cleaner and give that a shot first.

If K&N filters gunk up the MAF, why are they so popular over a standard throw away air filter?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

thanks pajeff02 for your thoughts.
    MAF is all original and i have not cleaned it.

I'll stop by auto zone today and buy some CRC cleaner and give that a shot first.

If K&N filters gunk up the MAF, why are they so popular over a standard throw away air filter?

Advertising hype. I personally will not run a K&N filter after experiencing first hand how poor the filtration really is. Wipe out the bearings in our circle track car years ago. Our Trans Am runs the Amsoil Ea air filter. All my other cars run paper filters.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

check your Engine sensor fuse...i believe it is labeled ENG SEN

98' trans am

id bet it is blown

Silver
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Thanks milkman. i'll check that too while i'm letting the oil soak into my k&N filter.

Silver
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Went on a little jaunt around some country roads and no codes. well, did pop a p0300 general misfire but I bet that was due to the throttle body cleaner i used.

I used CRC throttle body cleaner and thoroughly cleaned, used CRC MAF sensor cleaner and thoroughly cleaned and cleaned and oiled my K&N filter.

Hope that fixes it. I'll drive it this week and post back. Man, these cars get to 115mph quick.

Oh yeah--- the 20A ENG SEN fuse was fine [not blown]
    Last edited by dgoett; 09-27-2010 at 10:49 AM.

white
    1998 trans am

hello,
    i have same problem with my car. i am stationed in Germany and i have been every single repair shop. i changed my o2 sensors, maf, air intake.............. you name it.
    well one of the bmw cert. mech. told me that there is 2 reason for it.
    1 - dirty muffler
    2 - carbon inside the engine. remember our cars are old and if you dont use fuel cleaner vs. that carbon will build up. and your engine will not get enough air on high rpm. so i am sure that you engine has a problem with carbon and you not getting enough air. don't mater even you have k&n any other filter.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by adamsoldier View Post
    hello,
    i have same problem with my car. i am stationed in Germany and i have been every single repair shop. i changed my o2 sensors, maf, air intake.............. you name it.
    well one of the bmw cert. mech. told me that there is 2 reason for it.
    1 - dirty muffler
    2 - carbon inside the engine. remember our cars are old and if you dont use fuel cleaner vs. that carbon will build up. and your engine will not get enough air on high rpm. so i am sure that you engine has a problem with carbon and you not getting enough air. don't mater even you have k&n any other filter.
    i dont quite know about a "dirty" muffler ..or not getting any air...as if that was truely the case about carbon build up i doubt it would throw those codes...it would defiantly throw a bank 1 and 2 rich code. im fairly certain it is a electrical issue

1996 LS

2002 TA WS6 M6
    I keep popping p010, p131 and p151.
    The last 2 are O2 sensor low voltage conditions and the p010 is mass air flow code.

I put brand new bosch O2 sensors in a couple weeks ago and checked my air filter [k&N and not dirty at all]. Yes, I put the sensors in the correct place right off the headers [not the ones behind the cats].

If I drive normally, they never pop. If I hop out on a freeway and push RPMs to 5k before each shift, it usually pops these codes witha check engine light.
    You can usually feel it bog down or hesitate slightly in the 3-4k rpm range.

I put a new fuel filter on today [needed changed anyway - original one with 57K miles] and it still popped it.

Any idea on where to look next? I am running a Diablo predator tune in it [have newest firmware, too]. I might try taking the performance tune out of it and see if it changes anything.

THanks for any ideas you can offer! Oh - and always use at LEAST 91 octane fuel.

Dan
    Try to look what happen in your wirings. I think that the issue of that popped up is on the electrical problem. I agree what shady milkman said.

Thread Information