Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Clutch it!

This is a discussion on Clutch it! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Lol @ stocker. My car had 54k miles when i swapped out the clutch. and the reason i wanted a ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Lol @ stocker. My car had 54k miles when i swapped out the clutch. and the reason i wanted a new clutch? not because i'm making loads of power... power is 100% stock on my car.... because it felt like crap. Maybe a flush of the fluid and drill mod would have helped but it doesn't get around the shortcomings of the factory clutch and hydraulic system. So i just redid the whole thing. Does it chatter? yeah a little... is it noisier? yeah sure is... does it grip like a T800 bending steel and punching through walls? indeed it does. does my pedal now have a wonderful short travel and amazing feedback yes... yes it does.

it was worth every penny of the 1k i dropped on the system.

I have no experience nor have i heard anything about exedy on these cars so i won't speak in any way on them. Considering our goals are much different i'm not knocking your decision. I plan on having an 11 sec car and a good clutch is an important part of that recipe. Stock is always gonna be just fine for stock so you probably did the right thing.

Of course you're gonna come back with your impressions of the exedy parts and let us all know what you think right??

OH!!!! i don't see a new slave on your parts list there.... whenever you crack open that bell housing it's considered good practice to change the slave. naturally you could also drain the hydraulics, do a drill mod and fill it up with fresh clean fluid. Trust me you will think you have a different car!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    I was originally gonna go with the LS7 kit, but due to lack of funds, I went with an Exedy Kit. For 340 bucks, I got the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out and pilot bearing. My stocker lasted all the way up to 176,xxx, so why not go with the original. I'm also pretty much stock, and plan on staying that way for a long bit.
    hope you don't plan on anykind of racing...

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    hope you don't plan on anykind of racing...
    Just minor street altercations, and exedy is who supply GM with the factory clutch. So technically, it should last another 180k?

And if you do a clutch job without changing the rear main, pilot, slave and master, why even bother changing the clucth? When you are down there, do what ever you can do, to make the car new again.
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've had my Mcleod single disc kevlar installed for about 38,000 miles. Never had chatter, not even day one. Holds 6,500 rpm dumps on slicks. Just installed it and forgot about it, the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I've had my Mcleod single disc kevlar installed for about 38,000 miles. Never had chatter, not even day one. Holds 6,500 rpm dumps on slicks. Just installed it and forgot about it, the way it should be.
    agree.....Mcleod is also a VERY good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information