Thread: chroming rims

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

chroming rims

Alright I'm not sure what everybodies experiences with panting/chroming their rims were, but I have the stock 16" OEM rims and I was just looking to spice them up a bit.. The dull aluminum color doesn't shine anymore and brings down the entire appearance of the car.

So I was wondering, has anybody done/tried this? what paint did you use, and what to look out for, or if it's completely out of the question.

My budget is tight and this seems to be the best alternative

thanks a lot guys,

Steve

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

If you have a tight budget, I may have the solution for you. You can bring the original bling back to your rims. Have the tires unmounted, use a paint remover, and remove the clearcoat. They will shine just like new. You will have unprotected rims, but maybe Mich doesn't use salt. Or maybe you don't drive in the winter. You prob don't. I know i wouldn't be able to drive mine back home in MN/ND in the winter. Or maybe this will get you by until you can afford what you really want.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

What color is your car? You're best bet is probably painting them.

I don't know exactly what chroming costs, but I know it's pretty labor intensive, so for the cost of that route, you could probably just buy new wheels.

Honestly most people are going to tell you to get new wheels, other than the cost of paint, there's really not a good reason to spend money on 16" wheels, they just don't look that great on these cars.

Unless you go with a 15" drag setup, IMO these cars need at least a 17" wheel to look right. Personally, I think 17 is the practical choice, while 18 looks the best.

FYI I'm running 17's. I picked up a set of '01 WS6 Spedlines for not alot of money, That's also an option for you.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

They do salt alot here.. and I live on a dirt road, so I only drive it when conditions are right.

I agree the 17" wheels look about 100x better, you wouldn't think that just an inch could make such a big difference.

The rims and wheels are in nearly perfect conditions.. wheeling only having a couple thousand miles on them and never burned the rubber off of them. I'd love to sell them if I were to only spend a few hundred on the newer pair but that's a long shot.

Also heard from a buddy that unless you use high quality chrome and the right aftercoat they will most likely just flake off.

How much did the Ws6 spedlines cost you?

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

also, the car is silver

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Hmmm silver... if you paint them, a dark grey (not quite black) might look good.

Just realized you have the color of you car listed...I missed that when I asked.

I bought my wheels from a member over at Tech a few years ago, I paid 550 for them, and they also came with a set of Michelins in good condition mounted on them. I hunted for a long time to find that deal though, I spent months looking at the classifieds and ebay trying to get a good deal on a set of WS6 wheels.

But yeah, if the wheels are in prettygood shape as well as the tires, maybe painting them is your best bet. I'm thinking these must be the silver painted alloys, so you can't really polish them like you can the WS6's without a ton of work. I'm not even sure it's possible to strip those to the point where you could polish them.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Not sure how much money you have but you could get them powder coated chrome colored if you wanted. I think by me it's like $100 per wheel for that but it could be different by you.

white
    2000 Transam

tires

Hey, I have the stock 16 inch chrome wheels on my 2000 Tranam. I have always liked raised white letters on tires. I know this is not popular with a lot of folks, but does anyone know who makes 16 inch tires with raised white letters.

Thread Information