Check gauges on low fuel?

This is a discussion on Check gauges on low fuel? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I keep getting check gauges when i reach almost empty on my gas. Is this the actual low fuel indicator ...

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Check gauges on low fuel?

I keep getting check gauges when i reach almost empty on my gas. Is this the actual low fuel indicator or is something else wrong? Thanks

Kenny

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

That happens when u have low fuel
    I guess is like a warning indicator. Low fuel, high temp or things like that. It only happens to me when fuel level is low.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

it is just literally telling you to check your gauges, many cars have a light up gas tank to show they have less than 2 gallons, ours has the multipurpose 'check gauges' instead. if your coolant temp gets too high the light will also come on, just keep your tank full and you wont have to worry about it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

First off, you should NEVER be letting your LS1 or any other car for that matter be running on fumes.

The gas in your tank is what keeps your fuel pump cool. Keep running your tank low and you'll be looking at replacing your fuel pump.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

well im not running it on fumes, once i see the light i go get gas, simple. thanks for the input guys!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmyers View Post
    well im not running it on fumes, once i see the light i go get gas, simple. thanks for the input guys!
    A few gallons of gas in your tank is not enough to fully submerge your fuel pump...simply put.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

That's what 35th is talking about.. Waiting for the light to come on is a bad thing..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Try not to let it get much below 5 gallons in the tank -- just under 1/4 on our gas gauge is a good fill up point.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Try not to let it get much below 5 gallons in the tank -- just under 1/4 on our gas gauge is a good fill up point.
    agreed.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

I keep getting check gauges when i reach almost empty on my gas. Is this the actual low fuel indicator or is something else wrong? Thanks

Kenny
    It's called a dummy light for a reason. Hey dummy, look at your gauges.

No offense intended, I didn't make up the name.

Someone else mentioned, never, ever, ever run your car to empty. Well, you can, but.... If you've ever changed the fuel pump in one of these cars, you'll see why. I had to change two pumps in my '98 TA. The first one went at about 75k miles, when a friend borrowed it and was coming back from a 100 mile trip. She got stuck on a freezing night (it was 28 degrees when I got there), on a moonless night, 10 miles from the nearest exit. It took me an hour to get to her. Her and her son were huddled in the front seat trying to stay warm. Thank got I had my '00 WS/6. After I got there, it still took the tow truck two hours to arrive. One long tow and hours of work later, the problem was fixed.

BTW, when your fuel pump finally dies, it's a whole lot easier to cut a hatch in the rear deck than to drop the tank.

So, if you've ever R&R the fuel pump, you'll see it's a little electric motor towards the top of the tank. There's a bypass block somewhere close to the drivers seat. While the pump is running and the fuel rail is fully pressurized, it dumps gas back over the pump to keep it cool. It's barely enough. Under normal conditions (like, when your tank is full), sitting in the big bath of liquid keeps it nice and cool, and it'll last a long time. Just having fuel dumped over it does ok, but it's not great. The electric motor will overheat and die. I've never heard of a car catching fire because of it, but I'd much prefer to be driving, than sitting on the side of the road watching the hazard lights blink slower and slower as the battery dies.

Generally, try to keep 1/2 tank or more in there. It'll help a lot.

Oh, and don't buy a cheap aftermarket replacement pump off of eBay. Mine lasted about 2 months, and I was changing it again.

Thread Information