Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6

Challenger SRT8..disappointed

So I went up a new challenger srt8 with me only having shorty headers, exhaust, lid, filter...and I had him by a half a car. It's funny how even these new 400 something hp cars cant take our cars...they dont make'em like the used to

Black
    2002 Trans Am

was it from a dig or a roll cause i lost to one on the highway from a 55 roll i also had a passenger he didnt and i dropped into 3rd not 2nd like i should have

Black
    2001 WS6

it was from a roll. he had the jump on me. from about 50 and i quick reeled him in and took him. I went down to 3rd cuz i didnt know how high the revs would go from second. I'm still getting used to this car from the vette. neither of us had passengers

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    it was from a roll. he had the jump on me. from about 50 and i quick reeled him in and took him. I went down to 3rd cuz i didnt know how high the revs would go from second. I'm still getting used to this car from the vette. neither of us had passengers
    Good kill!! I am always intimidated by the horsepower numbers that the companys come out with. Until I really see what they got and them i'm like ehh..... They are heavy though!!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black
    2001 WS6

beautiful car, im sure they'll be nice once they're modded, but they're certainly heavy. I felt bad for the guy tho lol

2000 Trans Am

beautiful car, im sure they'll be nice once they're modded, but they're certainly heavy. I felt bad for the guy tho lol
    I'd be pretty embareassed if i got my ass handed to me by a 8+ year old car lol

Black
    2002 Trans Am

i wish i coulda beat him he had a full exhaust on his but i probably dont even stand a chance now cause he said he was going to throw on a supercharger and my friend lost his number

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

how do you guys think one of us against a challenger from a dig?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    how do you guys think one of us against a challenger from a dig?
    Stock, the challenger SRT8 will usually win by 1/2 a car (I dont want to start a shitstorm; Im talking STOCK with two good drivers.). Modded, you got em easy. They have just as much of an issue with traction as we do with our cars. I ran one to 75 the other day in my GTO from a dig and it was pretty much even (he may have had me by a hair) He may have beaten me if he hadn't spun through first. The R/T, it's a driver's race stock. They are running between 13.3-14 stock here.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Stock, the challenger SRT8 will usually win by 1/2 a car (I dont want to start a shitstorm; Im talking STOCK with two good drivers.). Modded, you got em easy. They have just as much of an issue with traction as we do with our cars. I ran one to 75 the other day in my GTO from a dig and it was pretty much even (he may have had me by a hair) He may have beaten me if he hadn't spun through first. The R/T, it's a driver's race stock. They are running between 13.3-14 stock here.
    Plus they weigh about 4,000 lbs more but besides that.................

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

R/T i think we would win its basically our hp with like 1000 pounds. but i would think the srt8 would be a close race. thanks

Black
    2002 Trans Am

its is a close race cause they are heavy and spin alot with traction off but i think they a little bit faster

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    R/T i think we would win its basically our hp with like 1000 pounds. but i would think the srt8 would be a close race. thanks
    The R/T Weighs 4000 pounds, so its 500 more than our cars roughly.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

The R/T Weighs 4000 pounds, so its 500 more than our cars roughly.
    ohhh i heard it was 4400-4500

Junior Member 1 Bad Ass Formula's Avatar

Black
    98 Formula

The Challenger's sound good and look good, but they they are fairly heavy too. Until someone puts down 400HP @3500 lbs or less then it's a close race if not an LS1 win.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

So I went up a new challenger srt8 with me only having shorty headers, exhaust, lid, filter...and I had him by a half a car. It's funny how even these new 400 something hp cars cant take our cars...they dont make'em like the used to
    the problem is they do make them like they used to good power and heavier than a lead brick.

Black
    2001 WS6

this is true. i stand corrected. but they put so much technological bullshit in the newer cars. all the added weight. That's why I like our cars, and even the vettes up to 2005. after that its electronic door handles this and automatic lights that and rain sensoring wipers and stuff that takes away from the driver

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to bash these cars for the extra weight, they're heavier because of the new safety components. Cars are being produced with more and more safety components each year. It's a deterrent on performance yes, but there is a trade-off to the weight, its not like it's there for nothing.

Our 4th gens really can't compare in the safety area. As far as weight, its not heavy because its a MOPAR, even the 5th gen Camaro has the same problem, the Zeta is known for being heavy, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 5th gen weights about 4000 pounds as well.

What must really suck for both of these cars is the mileage, more power, less aerodynamics thanks to flat, squared off front ends, and heavier bodies.

What is surprising to me from reading this thread is the fact that the Challengers have trouble hooking traction. I figured with all that extra weight on the rear wheel it should have excellent traction. In addition, the tires on the Challenger are quite large, 20 inch rims I believe, and the tubs can fit even bigger, with those kinds of tires traction should improve.

Does anyone have the weight distribution specs for this car? If its very nose heavy it could be putting lots of weight on the front and not enough on the back and that would explain the traction issue.
    Last edited by RedVertTA; 11-21-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

My cousin just got one of those srt8 Jeeps stock and he says its faster than his modded wrx. Says it pulled 12.1 in the 1/4. Is he full of crap or is there something i'm missing cause if the challenger is lighter then how his that heavy-ass jeep with the same motor that fast?

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to bash these cars for the extra weight, they're heavier because of the new safety components. Cars are being produced with more and more safety components each year. It's a deterrent on performance yes, but there is a trade-off to the weight, its not like it's there for nothing.

Our 4th gens really can't compare in the safety area. As far as weight, its not heavy because its a MOPAR, even the 5th gen Camaro has the same problem, the Zeta is known for being heavy, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 5th gen weights about 4000 pounds as well.

What must really suck for both of these cars is the mileage, more power, less aerodynamics thanks to flat, squared off front ends, and heavier bodies.

What is surprising to me from reading this thread is the fact that the Challengers have trouble hooking traction. I figured with all that extra weight on the rear wheel it should have excellent traction. In addition, the tires on the Challenger are quite large, 20 inch rims I believe, and the tubs can fit even bigger, with those kinds of tires traction should improve.

Does anyone have the weight distribution specs for this car? If its very nose heavy it could be putting lots of weight on the front and not enough on the back and that would explain the traction issue.
    I don't think anyone was questioning the safety features of these cars....who cares if they are safer then ours......i guarantee that my car will get more looks any day then those cars........ and mine is 8 years old

Thread Information