Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Cats VS No Cats for a catback exhaust system

Sorry guys if you've already seen this, but i searched the forums and couldn't find anything on the subject.

I got a Borla Catback on my car (Passenger side restrictor plate wide open) but I wanna make it louder without screwing with the system. Instead of paying 1000+ for Longtubes and the y pipe, does removing the stock cats and replacing them with a catless Y make it any louder?

Straight pipes are out of the question unfortunately

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

itll make it a tad bit louder but nothing that will please you. So no its not worth it

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

When I get my LTs. I'm not sure if run the cats or not.
    But one thing I decided to do. Is run highflow cats.
    That way it could be a little louder than stock (maybe) and it doesn't smell like gas all the time
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Instead of paying +$1k for LTs and ORY...spend $400-$500 like the majority of people do and get LTs and ORY.
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by '02 WS6 View Post
    Instead of paying +$1k for LTs and ORY...spend $400-$500 like the majority of people do and get LTs and ORY.
    ^This

Look around man, you'll find there are some better deals out there. When I had my 99 Z28 I swapped out the stock y pipe and exhuast with a bolt on Mac ORY and a Hooker catback. Big difference IMO, even with the stock exhaust manifolds. It really depends on how loud/free flowing you really want it to be. LT's and a better than stock catted Y pipe will still give you what you might be looking for.

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

2002 Black WS6

BBK's w/ ORY for $500 ceremic coated. No need to spend 1k. Sounds really good w/ my Borla Cat-Back. Nice low growl at idle and normal driving, and gets nice and loud at WOT.

Or just add a Cut-out on the I pipe for like $160. Nice cheap sound mod that will give you a little more Throttle response and sound really mean, even with the stock manifolds, and cats.

Just some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    itll make it a tad bit louder but nothing that will please you. So no its not worth it
    Each system may respond different but I have LT's+TSP Catted Y and LM1. Compared to my buddys ORY with the same set up mine is WAY quieter at idle and under normal driving. The cats hold back alot of rasp and drone.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have the Borla. Ran it wide open with LTs and ory for years and liked it. Now I have the Borla closed up and run a DMH electric cutout in the I pipe.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Funny, I did the same with my Borla. LT's and ran it wide open with a cutoutfor years... I loved it. But I've since closed it off and put the cut out where the restrictor plate goes. Much quieter and less exhaust smell... but I did it for the neighbors and my kids.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

2002 Black WS6

^^^ So you just ran it 100% of the time with the cut out open? I'm afraid of doing that cuz I'm scared I don't want to mess anything up (I.e. valves and such).

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the replies!

I thought about LT's with ORY, but I have emission's testing I have to pass here. Thats why i thought about going ORY with stock manifolds, so i can pay to get them switched every 2 years before testing.

And to everyone telling me to spend like 500 on LT's and the ORY, I gotta get it installed cause i don't have anyway of doin it myself. Shops I've called ranged from 1500-2000 W/Wout cats! If its gonna cost all that much, i might as well get the catted Y for the LT's. But i'm only wondering if buying a Y pipe for my stock manifolds without cats will satisfy

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Dude, go to a local auto parts store and buy a Maintenance Manual and start doing as much maintenance work you can do yourself. Than when you feel comfterable enough, you'll be able to tackle something like LT's/ORY on your own without forking over labor costs.

Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I put my LTs and ory on in my garage on the floor well on jackstands it aint too bad.
    The hardest part was getting in the driver side LT, passenger LT was cake walk.
    All i used was:
    Jackstandx4 (just got to get it high up there)
    Jack
    Ratchet
    Metric Sockets (Deep for removing cats and coil pack, and short ones for exhaust manifolds(10mm), and a spark plug socket(for driver side spark plugs))
    10mm wrench for the tricky exhaust manifold bolts
    PB Blaster (your best friend for removing old shit that is torqued down or loctied)

Took bout 6-8 hours on the floor, but imo so worth it!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Do it yourself man. It's not that bad at all. Never did any work on cars until the TA. Now I do all my external engine work for the most part.

Navy Blue
    2013 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

I thought about LT's with ORY, but I have emission's testing I have to pass here. Thats why i thought about going ORY with stock manifolds, so i can pay to get them switched every 2 years before testing.

And to everyone telling me to spend like 500 on LT's and the ORY, I gotta get it installed cause i don't have anyway of doin it myself. Shops I've called ranged from 1500-2000 W/Wout cats! If its gonna cost all that much, i might as well get the catted Y for the LT's. But i'm only wondering if buying a Y pipe for my stock manifolds without cats will satisfy
    Emissions shouldn't be an issue if you delete the secondary o2 sensors that you will need to delete with headers and no cats. Get the tune done right.

Secondly headers are easy with a second set of hands Especially the BBK set up. It slides right in and fits up the nice and tight.

Get the headers you know if you don't you'll regret it later. ask anyone else who's done the header swap. You don't wanna get under there twice if it can be avoided. Mine was some serious knuckle busting work, but well worth it.

black
    2000 trans am

Just remember, this could be a deal breaker if you go to sell to someone in a different state and needs CATS to pass emisions.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jrzdude View Post
    ^^^ So you just ran it 100% of the time with the cut out open? I'm afraid of doing that cuz I'm scared I don't want to mess anything up (I.e. valves and such).
    you wouldn't hurt your valve with cutouts.. the only time you would do that is if you ran the motor with no manifolds on it or headers

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
    Just remember, this could be a deal breaker if you go to sell to someone in a different state and needs CATS to pass emisions.
    or you could be like me and register your car at your parents address where at the county does require e-check

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Are you in Scottsdale AZ??? If so,,,the only emissions testing they do down there for the OBD II cars is plugging into your OBD II outlet and check for codes from what I understand.

And $1500-$2,000 to install your ory and headers is absolutely ridiculous. If you want to bring the car up to Prescott we can toss it on the lift and knock it out in a day. I'd do it for a very small fee. Just PM me and we can talk.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Getting headers installed around here is like $300. We have OBD2 emissions testing here too. My car passes these tests with literally no emissions equipment on it at all.

Thread Information