Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Catback install with pics and vid

This is a discussion on Catback install with pics and vid within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Look and sound awesome !...

Black
    2000 WS6

Look and sound awesome !

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    Look and sound awesome !
    Thank you!

It does look and sound nice. I have the Flow master on mine and i don't like it at all. Car doesn't run like it did with the stock exhaust.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 99RTA View Post
    It does look and sound nice. I have the Flow master on mine and i don't like it at all. Car doesn't run like it did with the stock exhaust.

I just have never been a fan of the "Flowmaster sound" -- so no experience with their products.

black
    99 ws6

about how long did it take to install? i have a 99 ws6 and i am also looking at the same cat back. on a difficulty level from 1 threw 10 what would you rate this proses. i have never installed an exhaust before. thanks

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A couple of hours total with another site member helping. Maybe 20-30 minutes to pull the existing exhaust off the car after cutting the stock mid-pipe. Then about an hour installing the new one with a lot of that time spent moving things around once it is up in place. I spent maybe another hour tweaking the tips the next day to get them as close to perfect as I could.

A few tips -- once you get it in place and close to where it needs to be, use a Sharpee to mark the joints. This will give you a better idea of what is happening once you start to move things around to position the tips. You'll be able to see how much things are moving, or need to be moved. Also, shoot the rubber hangers with a little WD-40. Makes it easier to slide them over the new hangers.

black
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    A couple of hours total with another site member helping. Maybe 20-30 minutes to pull the existing exhaust off the car after cutting the stock mid-pipe. Then about an hour installing the new one with a lot of that time spent moving things around once it is up in place. I spent maybe another hour tweaking the tips the next day to get them as close to perfect as I could.

A few tips -- once you get it in place and close to where it needs to be, use a Sharpee to mark the joints. This will give you a better idea of what is happening once you start to move things around to position the tips. You'll be able to see how much things are moving, or need to be moved. Also, shoot the rubber hangers with a little WD-40. Makes it easier to slide them over the new hangers.
    thanks for you advice.. the sharpee is a great idea. about to get a ton of snow this weekend in cleveland so its a great time to fire up the heater in the garage and get to it

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

Jeff, looks good! So when are the kooks going in? I just bought the poly mounts and wish i would have installed when i did the headers, because now i have to take them back off for the mounts. Kooks were very easy to install!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    Jeff, looks good! So when are the kooks going in? I just bought the poly mounts and wish i would have installed when i did the headers, because now i have to take them back off for the mounts. Kooks were very easy to install!

Headers went in a couple of weeks ago. I have a whole list of things I am doing to the car right now so it hasn't been run yet with the headers. If all goes well, I may get to turn the key tomorrow evening. I had to nip the flange on my k-member to get the driver side header up in. Not much, but it definitely wasn't going to go in as is. The Y-pipe is a bit tight to the underbody and I am still playing with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information