Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

That cat warrenty

Sup guys I had a question about that cat warrenty.

I got a 2000 with 53,000 on it.
    throwing a code something to do with the 02 I think.

Had my buddy look at it and he mentioned could be converter or something (I'm not a tech guy yet)

I went to local gm dealer the other and just got an oil change and put the good ole mobil one synthetic in it, and i asked the guy to look the cat warrenty up.

He said he diden't know anything about the 80,000 mile warrenty and said something about the reg gm warrenty which would mean it was not under warrenty. He also said I should take it to a pontiac dealer and maybe they would good will it?

So basically I wanted to go to the pontiac dealer and have an idea of what I was talking about, so I can get the thing fixed and not screwed over.

I don't have a high oppinion of dealerships as of right now. I have had to cars and got shoddy repair work both times. Any Good Pontiac dealerships references in MI would be appreciated...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post

Had my buddy look at it and he mentioned could be converter or something (I'm not a tech guy yet)

I went to local gm dealer the other and just got an oil change and put the good ole mobil one synthetic in it, and i asked the guy to look the cat warrenty up.

He said he diden't know anything about the 80,000 mile warrenty and said something about the reg gm warrenty which would mean it was not under warrenty. He also said I should take it to a pontiac dealer and maybe they would good will it?

So basically I wanted to go to the pontiac dealer and have an idea of what I was talking about, so I can get the thing fixed and not screwed over.

I don't have a high oppinion of dealerships as of right now. I have had to cars and got shoddy repair work both times. Any Good Pontiac dealerships references in MI would be appreciated...

i'd never get my car worked on or even an oil change at a dealer...

i'm not to sure about the warrenty...

why not gut your cats and have the rear 02's tuned off???

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

I'm pretty sure federal law is 8 years or 80k miles for all vehicles. But I heard that GM extended the warranty to 10/10k on all firebirds and camaros from 98-00 because of issues with the cats.

4 cyl colorado

Had one of mine replaced at 48K, GM covered it.
    '73 Plain Jane Camaro, Gen III, T56
    '02 WS6, M6
    All gone but not forgotten

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by DOCJHH45 View Post
    I'm pretty sure federal law is 8 years or 80k miles for all vehicles. But I heard that GM extended the warranty to 10/10k on all firebirds and camaros from 98-00 because of issues with the cats.
    i think that is only with the extended warrenty...

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

find out what o2 sensor was throwing the code. if it is the back ones it could be.

GM extended the cat warranty to 10 years/120K on the 00-02 F-cars back in December of 2006. Are you getting P0420 or P0430?

midnight blue

Not sure, I don't recall off hand. p0420 sounds kinda familiar though.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

I have a little experience on this one. My 98 V-6 warranty expired and I did NOT have the extended warranty. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced it, they said there was a 10 year warranty on the emission stuff.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    GM extended the cat warranty to 10 years/120K on the 00-02 F-cars back in December of 2006. Are you getting P0420 or P0430?

Yup, I got mine replaced under this back in April. At the time my car was 2 months over the 8 year warranty, the service mgr. didn't even know about the extended until I told him about it. Looked it up, and then said I was covered.

As long as your VIN falls within acertain range you should be all set.

If they don't believe you, have them look it up. It's there.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Don't let them bull shit you. I think it is Fed law like stated above but I don't know how long. It should say in the back of your owners manual in the warranty section.

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

Yeah, I got mine done last year, right at 100,000 miles, under the extended warranty- the dealer told me that the other cat had been done at about 75 k by the previous owner- The dealer didn't know about it until I looked up the number and gave it to them- heck, for a $700 dollar job for free, I'd search lots of links-

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I got lucky I went to the local Pontiac dealership and they already knew about I didnt have to tell them about it. So if they give you any crap tell them to look it up.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

midnight blue

I stopped by a pontiac dealer today, and he was like your warrenty ended in 2003 like I was a dumbass. After moving to 3rd shift this week and pulling 12hrs I was tired and diden't know what to tell him... I said well look it up, and he is like the info is right here straight from GM. Can anyone tell me the direct thing to say, cause I just rather strangle the next guy that looks at me funny like I'm a dumbass... lol

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

the problem is your CATS, im currently getting mine replaced right now ($260 parts and labor at a local muffler shop). Mine was throwing the O2 codes but once the CATS are replaced and get easier flow the problem will be solved. I called GM and the said its an 8 year 60,000 mile warranty mines a 98 but from every one elses responses it looks like its targeted towards the 00-02 cars.
    Last edited by 1998 T/A; 09-16-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Search the net for "emissions warranty" and you will find a whole mess of stuff. Walk in there and say "look, I know the emission systems on cars are warranted for a longer period of time. I know this because I've done research on the internet (which you should do) so if you don't know what I'm talking about, then I will wait right here until you or your manager figures out what I'm telling you is true." Then chew his fucking ass for feeding you shit when he realizes your right. Go out to a brand new car and look in the owners manual and it will tell you. Below was printed in a 2005 Cadillac which if I'm reading it right says it's a warranty that is enforced by the Feds.

Federal Emission Control System
    Warranty
    Federal Warranty Coverage
    • Car and Light Duty Truck equipped with
    Car and Light Duty Gasoline Engines
    − 2 years or 24,000 miles and 8 years or
    80,000 miles for the catalytic converter or
    vehicle, powertrain, control module,
    whichever comes first.
    • Light Duty Truck equipped with Heavy Duty
    Gasoline Engine
    − 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
    • Light Duty Truck equipped with Heavy Duty
    Diesel Engine
    − 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
    Federal Emission Defect Warranty
    GM warrants to the owner the following:
    • The vehicle was designed, equipped, and built so
    as to conform at the time of sale with applicable
    regulations of the Federal Environmental
    Protection Agency (EPA).
    • The vehicle is free from defects in materials and
    workmanship which cause the vehicle to fail to
    conform with those regulations during the emission
    warranty period.
    Emission related defects in the genuine GM parts listed
    under the Emission Warranty Parts List, including
    related diagnostic costs, parts, and labor are covered by
    this warranty.

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

hey was the code P0134 or P0135

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

If it is not a "cat efficiency below threshold" which is a po430 or something like that then it's not a cat. If it is O2 specific then it's more than likely a fuel, vacuum leak ,or O2 problem.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post

here is the info you need........I got a letter for my SS 2 years ago saying the cats were 10k years/120 miles
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...erter+warranty

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

also after you get the new cats put on, wait till the price for cats goes back and sell them. You will get top dollar for them which you can use for a new set of headers or catback etc......

Thread Information