Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

car wont stay runing

This is a discussion on car wont stay runing within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 0rion leaks out the cap when you rev it? Is it pressurizing the coolant system when you ...

red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    leaks out the cap when you rev it? Is it pressurizing the coolant system when you rev the car?

as far as your #7 misfire.....has the car been over rev'd at some point maybe and bent a pushrod? Might want to check that and that number 7 injector....those could be things causing your misfire there.

Yes it leaks out when I rev it up

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Hope that isnt a bad head gasket.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what does your oil look like? Is it milky looking? I don't want to just throw head gasket out there but if it's pressurizing the coolant system that's looking awfully suspicious. It could just be a bad seal between the cap and radiator I guess and the extra flow of coolant is what's leaking when the pump speeds up but my first guess would be head gasket.
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-24-2014 at 01:57 PM.

red
    1998 trans am

No the oil isn't milky but I closed the hooks on the cap and its not leaking but I did get coolant came out the the reserve bottle cap

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Pressure in the overflow bottle is NOT a good sign. If you have the rad cap off and goose the throttle, does water fly out of the top of the rad like "old faithful"?

red
    1998 trans am

Yes, do u think the radiator can b cloged and cause this?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The cooling system will always pressurize as the engine warms up. A blown head gasket can mean that additional pressure is being added to the cooling system during the compression stroke by whatever cylinder is adjacent to the blow out. A bad radiator cap will allow fluid to leak out as pressure builds up, so it does not necessarily mean the head gasket is shot. Symptoms of a blown head gasket include loss of coolant, white smoke out the exhaust and a sweet odor, overheating, pushing excessive coolant into the overflow bottle, and all the carbon deposits being cleaned off the spark plug in the affected cylinder.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

A small amount of coolant coming out of the rad when u rev it is normal, BUT what i'am saying is if you rev it to about 2500 rpm's with the rad cap off, does the water shoot out like a garden hose at full pressure about a foot high in the air? If so, then I think the gasket is bad.

red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    A small amount of coolant coming out of the rad when u rev it is normal, BUT what i'am saying is if you rev it to about 2500 rpm's with the rad cap off, does the water shoot out like a garden hose at full pressure about a foot high in the air? If so, then I think the gasket is bad.
    I'll try your test in a couple hours when I get back home

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Good luck and I hope for the best for ya, but I think your gonna need a head gasket. Might as well upgrade to a nicer set while your at it.

red
    1998 trans am

Good luck and I hope for the best for ya, but I think your gonna need a head gasket. Might as well upgrade to a nicer set while your at it.
    I took the cap off the radiator and when I reved it up it didnt shoot out like you said. It was the small hosecoming from the reserve bottle when I reved it the coolant coming from the reserve flows a lil stronger thats all I saw. Now as for the coolant coming out of the reserve cap not sure why, going to check and see if I put too much coolant in

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The overflow bottle is NOT suppose to be filled to the top. It has markings on the dip stick that is attached to the cap for the proper level.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

the lines on the radiator might be backwards...below the radiator cap there will be two small hoses....the top one should run to the overflow the bottom one should run to the tb unless its bypassed then it would run to a coolant crossover on front of motor on the drivers side of the tb.....when i replaced the rad in my car i had an issue with coolant overflowing/boiling out of the overflow and it was just those two hoses being flipped haha spent alot of money on coolant for a year before i figured out the issue lol felt like a complete f***ing moron haha

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Yep, what robs98mysticZ said. I didn't even think of that for the coolant bottle problem. Is the car still misfiring on # 7 cylinder? How about maybe when the fuel pump was changed out, a small piece of dirt got into #7 fuel injector. Pull the injectors out and switch out #7 injector with a know good 1, like #1 injector. See if the misfire move to another cylinder. Easy enough free fix.
    Last edited by RONS98TA; 03-28-2014 at 04:54 AM.

red
    1998 trans am

[QUOTE=robs98mysticZ;2886784]the lines on the radiator might be backwards...below the radiator cap there will be two small hoses....thdidn't ile should run to the overflow the bottom one should run to the tb unless its bypassed then it would run to a coolant crossover on front of motor on the drivers side of the tb.....when i replaced the rad in my car i had an issue with coolant overflowing/boiling out of the overflow and it was just those two hoses being flipped haha spent alot of money o0n coolant for a year before i figured out the issue lol felt like a complete

thanks Rob thats exactly what it was. I guess I hooked them up wrong when I changed my condenser been like this for almost a year and didn't notice it till recent, don't get a whole lot of quality time with her I guess. THANKS A LOT

red
    1998 trans am

Yep, what robs98mysticZ said. I didn't even think of that for the coolant bottle problem. Is the car still misfiring on # 7 cylinder? How about maybe when the fuel pump was changed out, a small piece of dirt got into #7 fuel injector. Pull the injectors out and switch out #7 injector with a know good 1, like #1 injector. See if the misfire move to another cylinder. Easy enough free fix.
    Need some guidance for the injector swap test. Is there any video or istructions online?

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I dont have any vids but it's pretty straight forward. Pull off the fuel line from the fuel rail. (You need a special tool for this.) Then just 4 bolts hold in the fuel rail and injectors. Pull the entire rail with the injectors attached. Then swap out the 2 injectors. Im sure there are video's out there on you tube, I just don't have any personally. Good to hear at least the coolant bottle problem is solved.

red
    1998 trans am

Haven't gotten to the injectors, my lil landslide continue! Lost 3rd gear for the third time is anyone else having 3rd gear failure or is it just me. My transmission guy says is thinking that maybe its the computer. He thinks I should have it flashed by the dealer and see what happens

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Do you have an auto or manual? Is your car stock or has it been modded. Mine is an auto and my car has been heavily modded with a cam (at that time) and all the bolt on's. I went through 5 transmissions before I finally got a good built one with all the best parts. 3rd gear keep blowing up. After the last build, I got a mail order tune from frost and I haven't had an issue in over 4 years now. The tune def has a lot to do with it. Good luck.

red
    1998 trans am

my car is sock as far as i know. do you know if this prolem is just limitded to the 98 models?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information