Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Car won't Start

This is a discussion on Car won't Start within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Howdy. Oh really? I will check that when I get home. Yeah, I gave Steve a list of everything I ...

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Howdy. Oh really? I will check that when I get home. Yeah, I gave Steve a list of everything I was doing to it. Everything. Thank you sir.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Alright folks. I tried starting it again today. It never started like it had the times before. But while I was turning over the engine, the engine shot up a kinda vapor/steam type matter once or twice in the area around the valve covers (I think). It didn't do it every time I tried it, but like every 3rd time I cranked it over. And it would do it on both sides of the engine at different times. I still have good fuel pressure. I don't know what to think. Any ideas?

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cowstandmoto View Post
    Alright folks. I tried starting it again today. It never started like it had the times before. But while I was turning over the engine, the engine shot up a kinda vapor/steam type matter once or twice in the area around the valve covers (I think). It didn't do it every time I tried it, but like every 3rd time I cranked it over. And it would do it on both sides of the engine at different times. I still have good fuel pressure. I don't know what to think. Any ideas?
    You check your PCV valve and all the lines?

Have you also checked your timing after the installation? I haven't seen you mention anything about timing. Smoke coming out the valve covers, the intake valve is still open after the power stroke.
    Last edited by jakez28; 03-02-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

img_0182.jpgimg_0185.jpgHey Jacob. Thanks for the input. Yep. Everything appeard to be hooked up just fine. However, I noticed an oily substance in between the fuel injectors and the edge of the manifold. I don't know if you can see it in the picture or not. But all of those components are new. The heads, the manifold, the valve covers, the fuel injectors, the fuel rails. Everything. So there shouldn't be anything there. What do you think? What do yall think guys?

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Im thinking the ignition timing has to be off. Did you properly degree your cam when you upgraded?

I think I can see a little oil... when you saw a puff was it a white cloud? Or a darker smoke?

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

It looked white

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

White smoke usually results from coolant.
    It's on jackstands.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hey Jon. It wasn't smoke. It was a white high velocity vapor. And it would shoot out in different locations around the engine that looked like they might be coming from the inside edges of the valve covers.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cowstandmoto View Post
    It wasn't smoke. It was a white high velocity vapor. And it would shoot out in different locations around the engine that looked like they might be coming from the inside edges of the valve covers.
    Im sure you dont have any coolant issues with white smoke, I imagine it is hard to describe what is going on. From what Im gathering its blowing out air. That either means air is getting in a 3rd resort. ie cracked head, intake etc.

I still think it could be that your cam timing is off, not your ignition sorry i said ignition in last post. 100% sure that you set it correctly?

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I didn't degree the cam. Most of the post I read before I started this build said that it just wasn't necessary. I used the LS1 How To web sight for the instructions. And the only thing they say is critical is to make sure that your cam gear and you crank gear dots are in perfect alignment. And mine were on the money. I put everything in per spec.

Man! I so badly don't want to have to tear that thing down again. I have young boys that are in every sport nown to man. So I just don't have much time to work on it. That's the reason it took me over a year and a half to do it in the first place.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have an update. I put in a new crankshaft position sensor. Still won't start........................................

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have another update. I finally got a chance to check the spark and all the fuses. I have spark in all eight and all the fuses are fine. Still won't start. A buddy of mine wanted me to ask you guys it was possible for any of the coil packs to be firing out of order. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Firing out of order? Not at all likely. Firing at the wrong time in the combustion cycle? Possible.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Good morning Jeff. How would I check for that?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That would almost have to be a stretched timing chain, a broken reluctor, or something that messes with the CPS. Not very likely, but still possible. If you squirt in some starting fluid, will she fire? You'll have to drop the air inlet bellows, open the throttle plate, squirt it in and throw the bellows back on rather quickly to try it.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I C. Well, it's worth a try. Because I'm out of ideas. I don't know what else to do. Alright Jeff. Thank you sir.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Be nice if someone close by had issues like this (other than my own car, of course ). I'd really like to be able to troubleshoot the problem in person.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Morning Jeff. Right? That would be good. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to flip around the coil pack wire harnesses. And see if that does anything.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ok everyone, I got it running! It turned out that I had put the passenger side coil pack wire harness backwards. However, it's making a sound I don't like. But I'm not sure what it is. What do you guys think? For some reason, I can't upload the video.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Got your email, and sent you mine. I'll see if I can tell what the noise is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information