Pewter
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Angry Cant Stand My Blinkers!

I change the lights in them and then they will blow out as soon as it rains. There are no cracks in the plastic covers so I just cant figure it out. Maybe I just wont drive it in the rain anymore.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

shoot, this needs to be moved to the firebird section. sorry.

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

have u checked the wires? look and see if they are damaged anywhere exposing bare wire..and look at your fuse panel, make sure your fuse is ok, i saw a fuse melt one time so it couldnt blow and kept f'n stuff up

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

you might have to start over like I did. replace the socket and make sure and add anti-corrosive sealant in the socket to keep water out. Had the same problem but only on the drivers side, every time it rained the bulb blew, had to keep spare bulbs in the car (I hate having a light out, no matter which light it is, its just f'n annoying). did the above mentioned and I haven't had an issue with it since, and its been over a year.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Alright, I will try that, thanks for the help. Like you I just cant STAND having a light out!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

yep, check all the wires...causing a short somewhere most likely

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

When it rains right? Do you use Dielectric grease on the bulbs and socket when you install the lamps? I had the same problem and went through like 5 sets before I figured it out. Load up the socket and bulb with Dielectric grease and be done with it. The grease will protect the contacts from moisture.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Change the blinker fluid...

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak1 View Post
    Change the blinker fluid...

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Before you ever change a socket, take a damn good look at it. There is nothing inside that really can go wrong.

Take out your sockets, remove the bulbs, take some MAF cleaner and blast all the shit out of the inside, watch your eyes.

Now look again, should look like a brand new socket. Our sockets are all plastic, I've seen some say they have cardboard stuff inside, that rots. My car does not have anything like that in it. Just metal connectors and plastic.

I replaced both my lens housings because they were cracked, when I first got my car, well, one cracked again, I believe they crack from the heat of the bulb, because the bulb is always on. I know rocks couldn't have hit it, 'cause it was covered with a 1/4" thick blackout lens. Now, I took out both blackout lenses to check both housings, and so far it was just the passenger side one.

About a week goes by, I wash the car, and the lens fills up half way with water, within the first five minutes of driving the car the light blows. Every once in a while I look at it, still has water in it. Weeks go by, water just hangin in there, I finally get around to ordering another housing, when it comes, I take out the old housing, blast the socket with MAF cleaner, and the damn thing looked brand new, I greased it up with "blinker grease", threw in a new bulb, and it works just fine. No shit, the socket was under water for like two months. No damage whatsoever to the socket.

It's the lenses you need, not the sockets. Get new lens housings, seal where the face of the lens meets the body of the lens housing with silicone (the gasket there is worthless) and if you really want to prevent it from cracking again, switch to an LED bulb.

You'll also notice the new lenses are a helluva lot brighter on the inside 'cause once any water or condensation gets in there, it covers the refective area of the lens with a film, making your lights appear dull.
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 09-30-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Thread Information