White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

Cam Heads and intake?

trying to get most bang for the buck. i know yall see these forum everday but i decided to post my own. so for i have a 2001 ws6 with slp lid, k&N air filter, port and polished TB, 17x11 tires in rear and came with an ls6 manifold. as of now im am looking to purchase cam heads and intake and a nice tune to go along with it. i was wanting to get some where along 600 hp, but i dont want a cam that will make it very uncomfortable to drive. just looking for a nice setup. dont know much about performance parts so just need a little headway. also with that much power what kind of upgrade am i looking at for trans clutch and flywheel. any advice or local shops around Houston, texas that you know of would be great. also would i have to go into eternal and get new rods and piston with that amount of horse power. also i have seen people port their MAF sensors and was wondering if that was a good idea or would it create problems. with that much hp would i be looking at getting a whole new cooling fans and all or would a 160 degree thermostat do fine. lots of questions i know but just trying to learn a little. If yall have any ideas for other great mods let me know. I gladly appreciate your time and god bless.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

dont mess with the MAF

and 600 horses is a long shot with just H/C/I, you'll need spray or FI on a stock block, to even come close. 450-500 is probably a better goal for the money you want to spend

White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

oh well alright i dont know bout nitrous, but ill look into FI. also just ordered, High-Flow Bellow, GM 82mm Mass Airflow Sensor, SLP Camaro/Firebird FlowPac Cold Air Induction Kit, 160 degree thermostat and throttle body spacer. also intend on getting LT headers, highflow cats and 3" dual straight pipe in from cats to the rear. overall said around 65-85 hp upgrades. Not sure but thats just what i read and guesstimated sorta. Thinking about just porting and polishing Intake manifold, and getting heads and cam and see where that puts me, just looking for a little over a midsized cam with a comfortable lope and heads that will make it a good pair.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

500 rwhp is attainable with H/C and all the bolt-ons. You have to choose everything very carefully though to get those numbers. Personally If I was going to drop that kind of money on premium heads and all the trimmings I'd spend a little more and just buy a D-1SC kit. Much easier to get 500rwhp+ and you won't suffer any driveability to go along with it. Look to spend around $6,500 on just the Procharger kit though.

You can do a budget H/C build for around 3k (if you install yourself) and have a powerful, fun car with decent manners and get 430-450rwhp.
    Last edited by BrntWS6; 04-26-2011 at 01:55 PM.

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    500 rwhp is attainable with H/C and all the bolt-ons. You have to choose everything very carefully though to get those numbers. Personally If I was going to drop that kind of money on premium heads and all the trimmings I'd spend a little more and just buy a D-1SC kit. Much easier to get 500rwhp+ and you won't suffer any driveability to go along with it. Look to spend around $6,500 on just the Procharger kit though.

You can do a budget H/C build for around 3k (if you install yourself) and have a powerful, fun car with decent manners and get 430-450rwhp.
    ^^^ Agreed,i got a heads and cam pkg and made 450 rwhp and after it was all said and done i had about $4k in it and i installed it myself, i just got too impatient and didnt want to wait to save the $$ for a supercharger, i dont regret it,but it would be nice to have a supercharger and making more power.

SOM

I'd looove to splurge on a D-1SC. It's just hard to drop well over 6g's all at once. I wish they weren't so damn expensive. Plus I'm lucky to drive my car 700mi a year. A few thousand is much easier to swallow.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    I'd looove to splurge on a D-1SC. It's just hard to drop well over 6g's all at once. I wish they weren't so damn expensive. Plus I'm lucky to drive my car 700mi a year. A few thousand is much easier to swallow.
    an earthshaking cam might be right for you then

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

To get the most out of H/C package then you will want to upgrade your exhaust first so your car can breath

SOM

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    an earthshaking cam might be right for you then

I've been thinking the same thing.

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

FI LQ9 408 with a nice custom grind or blower cam should do the trick....

An STS turbo system is much cheaper than a D1SC. Just my 2 cents though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    dont mess with the MAF

and 600 horses is a long shot with just H/C/I, you'll need spray or FI on a stock block, to even come close. 450-500 is probably a better goal for the money you want to spend
    ^Agreed. But not too much of a long shot with a nice proper build with a 150 shot, which is what i think he should do over F/I.

Quote Originally Posted by cspeich2011 View Post
    oh well alright i dont know bout nitrous, but ill look into FI. also just ordered, High-Flow Bellow, GM 82mm Mass Airflow Sensor, SLP Camaro/Firebird FlowPac Cold Air Induction Kit, 160 degree thermostat and throttle body spacer. also intend on getting LT headers, highflow cats and 3" dual straight pipe in from cats to the rear. overall said around 65-85 hp upgrades. Not sure but thats just what i read and guesstimated sorta. Thinking about just porting and polishing Intake manifold, and getting heads and cam and see where that puts me, just looking for a little over a midsized cam with a comfortable lope and heads that will make it a good pair.
    Bellows really worthless along w/ the 160 deg thermo, I'd do a Fast LSXR 102mm Intake w/ aftermarket 92mm TB(or a used ported 92mm intake), ur Flowpacs fine but i'd gone KIN FIPK, TSP 1 7/8 LT's with no cats & dual cutouts, paired with a nice sized cam and some worked heads for a healthy shot. But then you'll need to upgrade the fuel system and rear.
    Last edited by Smokaholik; 05-01-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

Quote Originally Posted by Smokaholik View Post
    ^Agreed. But not too much of a long shot with a nice proper build with a 150 shot, which is what i think he should do over F/I.

Bellows really worthless along w/ the 160 deg thermo, I'd do a Fast LSXR 102mm Intake w/ aftermarket 92mm TB(or a used ported 92mm intake), ur Flowpacs fine but i'd gone KIN FIPK, TSP 1 7/8 LT's with no cats & dual cutouts, paired with a nice sized cam and some worked heads for a healthy shot. But then you'll need to upgrade the fuel system and rear.
    N2O is a good bang for your buck but it just gets old refilling your bottle. Then you run into a "Spur of the moment" race on the high way and your like well i hope i have enough bottle pressure(waiting on the bottle heater)... F/I on the other hand is always there....

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by woodymaro View Post
    N2O is a good bang for your buck but it just gets old refilling your bottle. Then you run into a "Spur of the moment" race on the high way and your like well i hope i have enough bottle pressure(waiting on the bottle heater)... F/I on the other hand is always there....
    I agree, and depending how much spray you are going to use, could end up being cheaper to go FI with all of the N2O refills you will end up getting in the future (at $2-$4 per pound the cost can add up quick)

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

To get even 500 out of a H/C combo won't make it a "Comfortable" car like you want. I'm hoping to dyno at about 475 rwh from my build, and it's not a good dd. The cam still tries to stall the car ever so often. For your needs, definately go FI.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

^ Could you post how big of a cam and what heads you went with plz? Curious as to how big a cam you can go and what everyone claims is good for DD.

Red

Cam is an MS3. 237/242, .603"/.609", 112 LSA. Heads are LS6 stage 2.5's from Texas Speed. You CAN DD this setup, but to me it's not worth it. You're better off buying a cheap little ricer to drive to work.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

^ Thx. Any work done on the heads? and how much torque did that setup put down if you don't mind me asking.

Red

Definately not a high torque set-up. I only put down 406 rwh/345rwt, but that was on a Mustang Dyno. Probably about 430/370 on a Dyno Jet. The heads are p&p, with oversized valves. They also have a ton of bowl work done to smooth the area where the bigger valve cuts into the deck. I have pics of them in my build thread
    LS6 2.5 heads, OBX LT's, LM1, MS3 cam, 12 bolt Moser, Koni 4/4's, UMI EVERYTHING!
    My build thread:http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123827
    My Halloween Forum http://www.hauntersnation.com

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    Definately not a high torque set-up. I only put down 406 rwh/345rwt, but that was on a Mustang Dyno. Probably about 430/370 on a Dyno Jet. The heads are p&p, with oversized valves. They also have a ton of bowl work done to smooth the area where the bigger valve cuts into the deck. I have pics of them in my build thread
    Who tuned your car? cause those number seem low to me. With my Torquer V2 (232/234 .595"/.598") and 5.3L heads, I made 445/395 on a Mustang Dyno.

Red

I thought it was a bit low, too. It was still gaining horsepower at 6800 rpm's, so I could probably bump the limiter a bit and get more power. I think my biggest problam is i'm still running a stock throttle body amd LS6 intake. I got it done at Mongillo in New Haven CT. I'm still trying to work out a few issues with the tune, so maybe it will perk up a bit.

Thread Information