Thread: A/C Compressor

Black
    1999 Firebird

A/C Compressor

So I had some transmission problems awhile back and I had to get a new transmission along with a used engine that came out of a camaro (long story) anyway before all of this happened my a/c worked but I would have to recharge it. Well the last time (with the old engine) I recharged it, the a/c compressor was working but wasn't blowing out cold so I just left it alone and didn't bother with it (probably did not have enough freon?). Any who after having this engine replacement the a/c compressor doesn't even come on even though the car is on with a/c set to max and on the freon gauge it says its full (which there is no way that it is full). So my question is why is the a/c compressor not turning on? Thanks
    Last edited by TruThug; 06-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would say this is the same problem with mine. A/C Compressor is dead. Time to go find a replacement.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Unless you installed the oil and freon incorrectly I agree that the compressor is most likely dead. The system is very low takes 1 can of oil and 2-3 cans of freon. Also it is type specific, buy the wrong one and you just killed the whole system.

Do you have a/c compressor gauges to check what the pressure is? If not any parts store sells them, around $25-$40.

You must take a reading from the low side. It should be in the green for the a/c to function. Any lower and you most likely have a leak in the system.

Does the clutch engage and spin? If not it is dead for sure.

If you're thinking about doing the job yourself you need to know some things. It isn't just the compressor. When they go, most times the bearings disintegrate and send metal crap into the system. Most of it ends up in the dryer but it can continue through the hoses. The last line of defense for the stuff on the inside of the car is an inline filter. Most times it clogs and catches most of the debris. All of this has to be checked to make sure you don't have any metal shavings in the system. It's why they butt rape you for this repair. You can check all of this yourself. If you find debris past the inline filter you will need to flush the core out. This will need to be done at a shop. I got lucky when I did mine, filter caught all, so I didn't have to get it flushed.

But I did have to replace the following:

Compressor
    Dryer
    Condenser
    Inline filter
    High pressure hose
    Freon
    A/C oil

I also had a shop pressure check and vacuum any moisture out of the system (due to exposure) prior to filling the oil and freon. It is a requirement to do this step otherwise you'll regret it. Water (moisture) vapor when cool condenses from air to liquid then expands to ice and will block the system then cause a failure.

White
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Unless you installed the oil and freon incorrectly I agree that the compressor is most likely dead. The system is very low takes 1 can of oil and 2-3 cans of freon. Also it is type specific, buy the wrong one and you just killed the whole system.

Do you have a/c compressor gauges to check what the pressure is? If not any parts store sells them, around $25-$40.

You must take a reading from the low side. It should be in the green for the a/c to function. Any lower and you most likely have a leak in the system.

Does the clutch engage and spin? If not it is dead for sure.

If you're thinking about doing the job yourself you need to know some things. It isn't just the compressor. When they go, most times the bearings disintegrate and send metal crap into the system. Most of it ends up in the dryer but it can continue through the hoses. The last line of defense for the stuff on the inside of the car is an inline filter. Most times it clogs and catches most of the debris. All of this has to be checked to make sure you don't have any metal shavings in the system. It's why they butt rape you for this repair. You can check all of this yourself. If you find debris past the inline filter you will need to flush the core out. This will need to be done at a shop. I got lucky when I did mine, filter caught all, so I didn't have to get it flushed.

But I did have to replace the following:

Compressor
    Dryer
    Condenser
    Inline filter
    High pressure hose
    Freon
    A/C oil

I also had a shop pressure check and vacuum any moisture out of the system (due to exposure) prior to filling the oil and freon. It is a requirement to do this step otherwise you'll regret it. Water (moisture) vapor when cool condenses from air to liquid then expands to ice and will block the system then cause a failure.
    Sorry to high jack, but I must ask:

Would the above (very thorough) advise change in my situation, one where the compressor hasn't went out yet but is groaning/whining when the A/c is engaged? IE can it be re-oiled or simply replace just the compressor instead of replacing the whole she-bang? Since mine hasn't "failed" yet, that is...
    Last edited by FishinCricket; 08-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hard to say for sure. Mine did the same as yours, noisey and still worked on my 01 Camaro.

My problem was over spin. The feature that was supposed to disengage the a/c clutch @ 3000 or so rpm was'nt functional.

If that's the case here, replacing it is all you can do, if it's simply worn out the same is true.

No amount of lube will negate a worn out/damaged part.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    1999 Trans Am

Thank you very much, Smittro!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My pleasure!

Thread Information