Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

A/C Belt delete?

This is a discussion on A/C Belt delete? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I never use my air conditioner or heat. Would it harm anything to just cut off the belt for the ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    28

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    A/C Belt delete?

    I never use my air conditioner or heat. Would it harm anything to just cut off the belt for the a/c compressor?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    It's just on a spring tensioner. It takes all of 2 minutes to remove.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    28

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    Oh, I know that. I saw when I just changes my main belt. I didn't know if taking off the a/c belt will harm anything though.

  4. #4
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    Nope not a thing. I just removed mine This weeked. IF you use the defrost function then it will engage the clutch but it wont spin.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 35thAnniZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,809

    eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

    why would you want to thouhg....its just like 3-6 more horsies..but i guess the littlest things count..

  6. #6
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    i've felt the throttle respond much faster w/out the belt.

  7. #7
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Which belt is it? And will it affect your heater at all? And how did you remove it just cut it?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Danger731's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    6,712
    passenger side, smaller belt of the two, down low

  9. #9
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    Wont hurt the heater at all.
    I woudnt cut it just incase you wanted AC again.
    If the belt old and worn then yes you can cut it off or just take off the main belt reach down and un tension the back belt, peel it off. Put on the main one.
    Enjoy 5 more HP.

  10. #10
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    I LIVE IN TEXAS... SOMETIMES I NEED THE A/C BELT IN DECEMBER

  11. #11
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    it all depends on comfort our cars would be much faster without air, powerwindows, power locks, normal seats, carpet, stereo, you get what I am saying? just dont turn on the a/c when you want to race I think our cars unlock the a/c clutch when its floored you will have to try that to be sure

  12. #12
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    it all depends on comfort our cars would be much faster without air, powerwindows, power locks, normal seats, carpet, stereo, you get what I am saying? just dont turn on the a/c when you want to race I think our cars unlock the a/c clutch when its floored you will have to try that to be sure
    Our cars unlock the AC compressor whenever more than about 40% throttle is used. It probably takes about 1 HP to sping the non engaged AC compressor, don't remove the belt for that minimal gain. I am a Master Certified L1 mechanic, even if you have the AC on at the drag strip your time will not be slower if you accidentally leave the AC on.

  13. #13
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Our cars unlock the AC compressor whenever more than about 40% throttle is used. It probably takes about 1 HP to sping the non engaged AC compressor, don't remove the belt for that minimal gain. I am a Master Certified L1 mechanic, even if you have the AC on at the drag strip your time will not be slower if you accidentally leave the AC on.
    incorrect. looking at my bin through hptuners, the AC is disengaged at 100% TPS or 4294 rpms.

  14. #14
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    Its all up to you.
    Me mine is off.
    But rest assured it will not damage anything if you just take off the belt.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    incorrect. looking at my bin through hptuners, the AC is disengaged at 100% TPS or 4294 rpms.
    Alright, you have challenged me! I will hook up my scanner and do some driving to see when it disengages. I have a stock tune on the PCM. How much is the bet? A case of Alpha King Beer?

  16. #16
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    I think you'll see a bigger gain and something more worth your time if you just got an underdrive pulley. I can't really justify removing the ac. Maybe your spare tire and jack.

  17. #17
    11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsboro, Ohio
    Posts
    294

    Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

    the origional question was "I never use my air conditioner or heat. Would it harm anything to just cut off the belt for the a/c compressor?" - The answer is NO it will not hurt anyting.
    Any little bit you can do to the engine to create less drag will result in more HP. Will the AC result in 20 HP - no more like 1 or 2. but do that with a underdrive pully, elrctric water pump, ect ect... will result in a LITTLE bit more then you had.

  18. #18
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    the origional question was "I never use my air conditioner or heat. Would it harm anything to just cut off the belt for the a/c compressor?" - The answer is NO it will not hurt anyting.
    Any little bit you can do to the engine to create less drag will result in more HP. Will the AC result in 20 HP - no more like 1 or 2. but do that with a underdrive pully, elrctric water pump, ect ect... will result in a LITTLE bit more then you had.

  19. #19
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Alright, you have challenged me! I will hook up my scanner and do some driving to see when it disengages. I have a stock tune on the PCM. How much is the bet? A case of Alpha King Beer?

    you sure you want to do this? also, i checked the wife's 99 formula file. same deal.....


  20. #20
    Double Tap Heartbreak1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,616

    Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    you sure you want to do this? also, i checked the wife's 99 formula file. same deal.....

    Click for full size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: AC Belt Delete
    By Valor X in forum General Help
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
  2. AC belt
    By Blackout99 in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 03:03 PM
  3. belt help
    By slpcamaro in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
  4. Ac Belt Help!
    By JoshieDoom in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 09:46 PM
  5. AC belt
    By danmaross in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 05:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •