Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying advice?

None yet

Buying advice?

Hello,

I'm generally a vintage Mopar musclecar guy who is toying with buying a newer musclecar. I've had a few mustangs and a cobra in the past but now and looking at buying an LS1 car, specifically a clean WS6 6 speed car. Seems like the best bang for the buck for me.

Any tips for a first time buyer? Any years much better than others? Anything else to watch out for?

I appreciate your help in advance.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CJK440 View Post
    Hello,

I'm generally a vintage Mopar musclecar guy who is toying with buying a newer musclecar. I've had a few mustangs and a cobra in the past but now and looking at buying an LS1 car, specifically a clean WS6 6 speed car. Seems like the best bang for the buck for me.

Any tips for a first time buyer? Any years much better than others? Anything else to watch out for?

I appreciate your help in advance.
    welcome, your about to make a good decision,

most will argue for an 01-02 as the best years but 98-02 are roughly the same, WS6 M6 is the way to go

in my opinion buy a car that is as unmodded as possible, increases likelyhood of future reliabilty and you can assume it hasnt been too tortured

remember also the formula as opossed to the trans am, as some like those better they have a 'sleeper' factor and are quite a bit rarer, i would trade for one in heartbeat, 98-00 formulas could be had with the ws6 package 01-02s could not

also 'WS6' basically means ramair hood/intake, slightly but not noticably stiffer suspension, different exhaust, a pointless power steering cooler, and bigger shiny rims. its nothing more than an appearance package.

finally, DO NOT BUY AN M6 WITH TCS(traction control) YOU WILL DISPISE IT
    Last edited by justinmc978; 12-07-2009 at 06:28 AM.

None yet

I take it there is no way to defeat the TCS?

What is the difference between the 01-02 and earlier years? Heard something about an LS6 intake boosting the HP a bit? Is that all?

1998 Trans Am

I take it there is no way to defeat the TCS?

What is the difference between the 01-02 and earlier years? Heard something about an LS6 intake boosting the HP a bit? Is that all?
    you can turn it off, but i hear too many horror storys about them having mechanical issues, even when unactivated, makes a rear end swap a bisch from what i've heard, plus theres just no need if you have a standard..

and 98-00s have a slighttttly bigger cam and an EGR system, which is pointless but mostly harmless

01-02s have the ls6 intake and thusly dont have an EGR system

in 01-02s theres a chance of getting the LS6 block instead of an LS1, (there were ls1 block shortages back then) but not ls6 heads/cam/whathaveyou, so theres no REAL difference, just bragging rights IMO

all years have the same power, roughly 350hp at the crank regardless of how GM marketed it to make the vettes LS1 seem better
    Last edited by justinmc978; 12-07-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

its a buyers market today ... be careful to look around and wait for a good deal ..

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    its a buyers market today ... be careful to look around and wait for a good deal ..
    no doubt, i got a killer deal on mine because the last owner lost his job due to the economy, its sad but...

2002 CETA m6

With the economy still in recovery, now is the time to buy one.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    slightly but not noticably stiffer suspension, different exhaust, a pointless power steering cooler, and bigger shiny rims. its nothing more than an appearance package.
    i beg to differ on your opinion. try taking the interstate off ramp in your T/A at 70+ without the tires screaming. i know that seems crazy, but it's fun as hell if you know how to drive your car.

the only setback with the WS6 package in my opinion is the weight and the stiffness, but it's all about what and how you want your car to feel for your kind of driving.
    Last edited by joedude02; 12-07-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

definately try to get a 01-02.one thing about a trans am automatic vs a mustang gt automatic, a mustang gt (i had 1 87 5.0 auto) automatic is half a second slower than a 5-speed,with a t/a the automatic is slower than a manual by not as much,2-3 tenths depending on driver.i don't know why a gm auto performs better than a ford auto in a performance application,but it does.i know you want a six-speed,but i would strongly consider a automatic if you find a clean 01 or 02 ws6.as a former mustang owner i thought a manual was the only way to go(and it is for a 'stang)but i am very happy with the performance of my ws6 automatic.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    definately try to get a 01-02.one thing about a trans am automatic vs a mustang gt automatic, a mustang gt (i had 1 87 5.0 auto) automatic is half a second slower than a 5-speed,with a t/a the automatic is slower than a manual by not as much,2-3 tenths depending on driver.i don't know why a gm auto performs better than a ford auto in a performance application,but it does.i know you want a six-speed,but i would strongly consider a automatic if you find a clean 01 or 02 ws6.as a former mustang owner i thought a manual was the only way to go(and it is for a 'stang)but i am very happy with the performance of my ws6 automatic.
    good advice, i like my auto because the traffic is so bad here, and our perfomormance is EXELLENT, but once i'm out of college and living back in the open country, i'm going to get another ws6 M6

None yet

To me the stick is most of the fun of driving something like this.

What do you think I will need to spend for lets say a relatively un-modded 2000 WS6 M6 with ~50k miles??

White
    1999 Transam WS6

What do you think I will need to spend for lets say a relatively un-modded 2000 WS6 M6 with ~50k miles??
    Depends on the market, but around NY, WS6 with those miles range from 10-14k or so, when I bought mine 2 years ago, they ranged from 14-18k.... bought mine for 16k or so with 46k miles, 1999 WS6 M6.... in other markets you can get them for sub 10k.... NYC tristate area sucks for these cars

Check Cars.com and Autotrader.com for a relatively outlook on the market, and if you're lucky, craigslist can give you a good buy.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

welcome, your about to make a good decision,

most will argue for an 01-02 as the best years but 98-02 are roughly the same, WS6 M6 is the way to go

in my opinion buy a car that is as unmodded as possible, increases likelyhood of future reliabilty and you can assume it hasnt been too tortured

remember also the formula as opossed to the trans am, as some like those better they have a 'sleeper' factor and are quite a bit rarer, i would trade for one in heartbeat, 98-00 formulas could be had with the ws6 package 01-02s could not

also 'WS6' basically means ramair hood/intake, slightly but not noticably stiffer suspension, different exhaust, a pointless power steering cooler, and bigger shiny rims. its nothing more than an appearance package.

finally, DO NOT BUY AN M6 WITH TCS(traction control) YOU WILL DISPISE IT
    I wouldn't say don't buy it. There are ways around it, SLP traction control module. One of the only SLP parts i'll buy. It's definetly a PITA, but nothing that can't be fixed

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    I wouldn't say don't buy it. There are ways around it, SLP traction control module. One of the only SLP parts i'll buy. It's definetly a PITA, but nothing that can't be fixed
    I don't find anything wrong with TCS, better to have it then not have it IMO.... It's just one button press to turn it off..

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    I don't find anything wrong with TCS, better to have it then not have it IMO.... It's just one button press to turn it off..
    True and it doesnt making swapping a rear end any harder.

1998 Trans Am

found an 01 auto 50k miles old man owner never took it over 90mph he wanted 12k

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    search this forum you'll find people who have problems with it even if they dont use it, inability for push down gas pedal, lights staying on on the dash etcetc

White
    1999 Transam WS6

found an 01 auto 50k miles old man owner never took it over 90mph he wanted 12k

search this forum you'll find people who have problems with it even if they dont use it, inability for push down gas pedal, lights staying on on the dash etcetc
    Wow, this is the first time Im hearing of this and I'm constantly reading ls1.com and the other ls1 tech sites... :/

The worst I've heard of TCS is that you have press a button when you turn on the car........ lol.... How common are these problems anyway? Ive NEVER heard of them...

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

The M6 cars are rearend DESTROYERS. I can't believe this thread has gone this far without anybody bringing this up. Just check the rear for noise and change the fluid when you get it. Supposed to change on 30K intervals.

Oh ......and start saving for a 9"

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    The M6 cars are rearend DESTROYERS. I can't believe this thread has gone this far without anybody bringing this up. Just check the rear for noise and change the fluid when you get it. Supposed to change on 30K intervals.

Oh ......and start saving for a 9"
    They are hard on the car if you are hard on it. But I guess I just had good luck, I raped the car slamming gears and 4500rpms launches with 357whp, raped it some more when I had 430ishwhp and I raped it even harder when I had 430whp and a 100 shot(didn't launch on NOS). Not one problem out of the tranny or rear end. All this raping took place from 38k-65kmiles.

Thread Information