Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bringing back the trans am.

This is a discussion on Bringing back the trans am. within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I agree with BlackHawk T/A. This car was at the Woodward cruise in 02 and is not a prototype. http://www.acarshow.com/t2csretr.jpg ...

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I agree with BlackHawk T/A.

This car was at the Woodward cruise in 02 and is not a prototype.

http://www.acarshow.com/t2csretr.jpg

I also hear that the Camaro will be at the 06 Autoshow here in Detroit (2 more months). I hate the GTO and they were giving away 04s a year and a half ago for 225.00/month to lease here in detroit. GM has bigger problems than the F-body with Delphi filing BK and their own financial issues. In fact today in Detroit they are offer supplier pricing until the end of the end to sell cars since sales dove last month 26%. I don't know if those discounts are nation wide, but they are not the employee price they were offering over the summer....

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    General Motors said the name Formula and T/a are dead and will never be back. THere is also a chance of never being able to use the Camaro name. But there is a fair chance for a Camaro, but not a chance in hell of a T/A or Formula. Sorry.
    Woohoo!

97 Formula owner

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Man i would love to see what they would do with the WS6 after the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonys99RamAir
    I just hope that when the Camaro comes back in 07' (according to gminsidenews.com) it is not some half-ass car that GM threw together to have a "contender" in the poney car market.
    THAT'S WHAT THE CAMARO IS! the camaro came out in 67 to fight the pusstang that was selling like crazy. GM just took a nova and gave it a penis.

purple/blue metallic
    2001 WS6

Remember this my friends....GM was handed $110 million from the Canadian gov't and $110 million from the Quebec provincial gov't to keep making f-body cars in St. Theresse Quebec until 2017. This was back in 1990 or so. Quebec wants to leave Canada and become a country in itself. GM threatened to close the plant and lay off thousands of Quebec CAW members.
    Fast forward. 2005...the plant in St. Theresse is flattened and the land sold for developement. The CAW workers are relocated to Oshawa Ontario and the beautiful Hitachi engineered robots used to make our f-body cars from 1993-2002 were sent to Oshawa too.
    The political situation is still volatile in Quebec. The french still hate the english. The Quebecers want to separate. GM still owes $220 million bucks. The legal papers still say that if GM ever makes a car called "camaro" or Firebird/ trans am again before the yr 2017...it has to be made in Quebec....or pay back the $220 million. Seeing as the plant is demolished and GM isn't about to build another plant in Quebec...we'll be waiting until 2017.
    I see pics and hear rumors of new camaros and new firebirds...but the fact is...it'll cost $220 million bucks for GM to pay back those loans before it happens. GM is on the verge of asking for bankrupsy protection from it's creditors.

DABIKERBOY995
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures[/IMG]

THAT'S THE NEW TA

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DABIKERBOY995
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures[/IMG]

THAT'S THE NEW TA
    Is that supposed to be a link???

2009 Corvette ZO6

My opinion is, the hell with General Motors... and they're new-found "Global Entity". Capitalism can be a disease sometimes, and 'more' never really seems to be enough to satisfy it. Although I've never owned a Mustang myself, or even a Charger, for that matter.... you have to applaud what they've done for the gear-headed public.

As someone mentioned above, the F-Body is gone... so take good care of what you already have. Sure, there is a possbility that the Camaro may make a return, but the demand for it has to be big, really big. Hopefully this rumored unveiling of it next month will do just that. Hopefully it will put the gleam of $$$$ into the CEO's eyes.

If it doesn't, then I for one strongly feel that all of those major "aftermarket" companies out there (Edelbrock, SLP, Holley etc. etc.), should combine their strength, and force an entirely new F-Body onto the scene. Of course, the name Camaro and Trans Am name can not be utilized, but who cares. The same way that the Firehawk was created through SLPs affilation, there's nothing really stopping the very same thing from happening again.

Put it this way, it will be cost saving for GM (as the aftermarket companies will be the one's designing, and funding the project), and the aftermarket companies, who have grown rich off the gear-headed pubic.... not only have a moral obligation to us (the American muscle car enthusiast), but will also be profitting from it as well.

I mean hey, they're already making the exhausts, the cams, the heads etc.. etc.., so it's not like they'd have to create a completely "new" agenda. The only cost for them, would be in paying off the greedy politicians. As we all know, no car will see the light of day, without "Uncle Sam's" approval.
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 12-03-2005 at 07:20 AM.

DABIKERBOY995
    I have the picture on my computer I'll se If I can find a way to post it. if anyone knows how to please let me know becuase I have a couple of pics on the new TA.

purple/blue metallic
    2001 WS6

The names "firebird", "camaro" and "trans-am" are property of GM. Unfortunately....you cannot make a car with any of those names unless you make it in the lovely province of Quebec.(la belle province) after the year 2017...you can make all the after market kit cars you want. Or you can get the aftermarket guys to pay back that $220 million bucks GM was loaned to subsidize the f-body car's lack of sales.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Transamapleleaf
    The names "firebird", "camaro" and "trans-am" are property of GM. Unfortunately....you cannot make a car with any of those names unless you make it in the lovely province of Quebec.
    As much as it hurts me to say this, as I've been an F-Body enthusiast for a very long time myself, but, it's just a name for crying out loud. I mean seriously, if Pontiac's version of the F-Body made a triumphant return, but it was now known as the Pontiac "Banshee", sporting an LS-7... I don't think anybody in their right mind would still be pleading "bring back the Firebird".

what gas mileage???

White

we could only wish! It still wouldn't look as good as what they stopped making!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

F THAT! They better call mine a Trans Am!!!! Or I put ricer badges on it saying Trans Am!!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

heh...that last post was good.

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by Transamapleleaf
    Remember this my friends....GM was handed $110 million from the Canadian gov't and $110 million from the Quebec provincial gov't to keep making f-body cars in St. Theresse Quebec until 2017. This was back in 1990 or so. Quebec wants to leave Canada and become a country in itself. GM threatened to close the plant and lay off thousands of Quebec CAW members.
    Fast forward. 2005...the plant in St. Theresse is flattened and the land sold for developement. The CAW workers are relocated to Oshawa Ontario and the beautiful Hitachi engineered robots used to make our f-body cars from 1993-2002 were sent to Oshawa too.
    The political situation is still volatile in Quebec. The french still hate the english. The Quebecers want to separate. GM still owes $220 million bucks. The legal papers still say that if GM ever makes a car called "camaro" or Firebird/ trans am again before the yr 2017...it has to be made in Quebec....or pay back the $220 million. Seeing as the plant is demolished and GM isn't about to build another plant in Quebec...we'll be waiting until 2017.
    I see pics and hear rumors of new camaros and new firebirds...but the fact is...it'll cost $220 million bucks for GM to pay back those loans before it happens. GM is on the verge of asking for bankrupsy protection from it's creditors.
    Legally, if you do the math on that they would have to payback the remaining contract to 2017. So if there were a 2008 Fbody GM would only owe about 70 million dollars and that's settled in court for the full amount.
    With all the politics going on there and GM under it's new ownership that might not hold up in court. I was also under the impression that the SSR took the place on the assembly line for the Fbodys, I don't know what came of that, but I believe we'll see the Camaro and Firebird return before 2017. GM Just has to figure out how to outsell the Mustang 2:1. We already know they can build faster cars, they just don't move on lots as quick as fords for some reason.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

wel maby it it came turbocharged w/ 6 speed and some cool options it would be worth getting...

purple/blue metallic
    2001 WS6

Hau-Thai-Tang did a wonderful job on the 2005 stang. He was the same dude that came up with those ripping rx-7's in the early 90's. Ford promoted him to the title of SVT boss because of the increadible success of the new retro-stang he designed. GM should grab a guy like him from one of thier "umbrella" companies. (isuzu, suzuki, toyota)
    The GTO and SSR and the CTS V-Series and Vette are what we have to choose from now. I'll be keeping my eyes open for used ones in a couple of years. I drove a new CTS V Series...wow!!! Make a 2 door of it and call it Camaro...haha!

2001 WS6 t-top M6 blue 260 KPH speedo...eh
    ASC build # 5430 Feb 15 2001
    SLP Headers and Loudmouth pipes...my neighbors love me...I start work at 5:00 AM!

Black

i keep hearing the camaro MAY come back but the firebird wont period.

purple/blue metallic
    2001 WS6

A rear wheel drive, 8 cyl, 2 door, 2+2 seating sport coupe from Chev?.....nahhh. Maybe they'll call a Chevy Cobalt SS special edition the "Camaro". maybe Pontiac will stick the name "Firebird" on a special edition of the Vibe....yah...hey...that has a cool ring to it..."Introducing...new for 2007...the all new Pontiac Vibe Firebird edition".
    Or the Pontiac Pursuit WS6. The Pontiac Montana Trans/Am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information