Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breath taking

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

Breath taking

Did you ever see something that just made you gasp for air? I was looking through ebay and CAME across this.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...fCarsQ5fTrucks

A lot of you may not be into the old birds, but I am. Since I was a little boy, I allays wanted a 77-81 Bandit, In mint condition. I just blew several thousand on buying a 98 T/A, a few months back. Don't get me wrong, I love my LS1 car, but I really LOVE the classic Bandits.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Turbo 301!! I love it.
    I know its stupid, but I think that turbo 301 V8 was a strange unique idea...and I love it....for some reason

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Turbo 301!! I love it.
    I know its stupid, but I think that turbo 301 V8 was a strange unique idea...and I love it....for some reason
    Its a boat anchor,455 FTW

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have a friend that has a 1980 Bandit. Just got completely rebuilt. Looks like it just rolled off the assembly line, only has like 600 miles on the engine..I think the only thing it doesn't have is the gold center caps on the wheels..
    This is what it was

This is what it is

Bastard has a reconditioned '77 too....And he won't sell either of them to me

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Its a boat anchor,455 FTW
    Nah,lsx swap, edelbrock carb intake and headers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I was looking at trans ams on ebay last night too,found a nice 98 t/a in cali,white over grey leather,auto trans,ws6 hood and wheels(seller was unclear if it was a ws6 or just had the hood and wheels)but the price was great $5300!!!! Damn bet there won't be crap like that when I actually have some cash to get a toy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-PO...item45f632ff0e
    Last edited by 02transamce; 10-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    I was looking at trans ams on ebay last night too,found a nice 98 t/a in cali,white over grey leather,auto trans,ws6 hood and wheels(seller was unclear if it was a ws6 or just had the hood and wheels)but the price was great $5300!!!! Damn bet there won't be crap like that when I actually have some cash to get a toy
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ..that probably depends on where you live. I've seen *a lot* of Camaro's and T/A's for sale on craigslist recently in my area. All sorts of price ranges too. The thing I like about our cars is that it's *typically* young people that buy them, then life happens & they marry some biatch that tells them they have to sell it because she's preggo. Can't tell you how many ads I found when I bought mine that said that the wife was making them sell it. Makes me mad...

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

lol,my wife had the ceta when i met her and said he didn't want any kids because she was not going to ever sell her t/a!!! yeah i know i'm very lucky to have her!

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by CrossJaded View Post
    ..that probably depends on where you live. I've seen *a lot* of Camaro's and T/A's for sale on craigslist recently in my area. All sorts of price ranges too. The thing I like about our cars is that it's *typically* young people that buy them, then life happens & they marry some biatch that tells them they have to sell it because she's preggo. Can't tell you how many ads I found when I bought mine that said that the wife was making them sell it. Makes me mad...
    Why would that make you mad?

It should make you happy,the more cars on the market the cheaper they are

BTW I once had a GF who said I should sell my car(94TA WS6 clone) now that I had met her.

I kept the car

My current GF loves my cars and wants me to enjoy them

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

It's hard to find a car that is 3 decades old, that is close to the condition this one is in originally. The price that is on there has met it's reserve too. Or there is no reserve.
    By the way, I love turbos too. Maybe you could tell that already....lol
    Last edited by nomolos1; 10-24-2010 at 08:57 AM.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i really like 2nd gens,but when i was five my mom had a 1980 gold se turbo t/a and all i remember was that it was a lemon,matter of fact the dealer she bought it from,Captiol Chevrolet, refused to take the car as a trade in a year later when mom wanted something a bit bigger(monte carlo)

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

That's a very clean 2nd gen, but I don't think that e-brake cable is supposed to be going UNDER the exhaust pipe. Something there doesn't look right.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by CrossJaded View Post
    I have a friend that has a 1980 Bandit. Just got completely rebuilt. Looks like it just rolled off the assembly line, only has like 600 miles on the engine..I think the only thing it doesn't have is the gold center caps on the wheels..
    This is what it was
    Click for full size

This is what it is
    Click for full size

Bastard has a reconditioned '77 too....And he won't sell either of them to me
    That's what I'm talking about. Like this one better.

White
    1998 Trans Am

My dad had a white 81 just like that when I was a kid it has since rusted away and was sold.long a ago.to.a.guy who wanted a.resto project. That has to one.of.the nicest originals I have seen. I always like the 6.6 shakers hood style more but that is on cool looking car and black/ gold was always the best.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

not a fan of the 301 or the 80s...and the stupid door speaker and exhaust doesnt help lol

anyways...on with the built up of my 79 trans am lol....may finish it, may sell it....its up in the air now

black
    1998 transam ws6

i had an 81 turbo it was the darks red you ever seen the turbos wont worth a sh_t. had to remove it after two turbos long gone now.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ehh hate those years. 301 was junk no matter how it rolled out of the factory..

The Pontiac 301 Turbo was an engine that Pontiac produced for the 1980 and 1981 Trans Ams and Formula Firebirds. It was a V8 engine that produced a mild 185|hp in 1980 and 210 hp with 336 ft pounds of torque in 1981 more than any pontiac engine since the 455 in 1975. The Turbo Trans Ams did offer a performance option lost with the then-departed Pontiac 400 cid and Oldsmobile 403 cid (in 1980) for the Firebird model. Adding the oil crisis of 1978 also forced corporate GM to re-evaluate its engine offerings. This eventually led to smaller, more efficient engines (both small displacement and forced induction).

Based on the standard Pontiac 301, the 301 Turbo was unique in that it had a beefier block than the 77-81 naturally aspirated versions due to lower compression pistons, a relatively mild camshaft, a high pressure oil pump (60 psi) to ensure adequate oil to the oil-cooled Garrett TBO-305 Turbocharger, a rolled fillet crankshaft with 2 instead of 5 counter-balances, a fully baffled oil pan, and a high pressure fuel pump (10 psi), a unique single plane intake, side and turbo-specific exhaust manifolds, and an Electronic Spark Controller(ESC) using a knock sensor to retard timing when detonation is detected. The Turbo 301 used the same bearings, rings, lifters, and most external accessories used on the N/A 301s.

The M4ME (E4ME for 1981) 800 cfm Rochester Quadrajet, unique to the 301 Turbo, had super rich "DX" secondary metering rods and a remote vacuum source for the primary metering rod enrichment circuit; the "PEVR" or Power Enrichment Valve Regulator. Boost was wastegate limited to 9 psi (+/- 1 psi) although factory settings ranged from 7 on low to 10 psi on high.

The 301 Turbo package (RPO code LU8) mandated air conditioning (C51) due to the turbo-specific heater core box, and automatic transmission (TH350 (non-lockup) for 1980, and THM350C (lock-up) for 1981) and 3.08 positraction rear axle ratio (G80).

The main causes of engine failure and distrust was the public's lack of experience and knowledge of care and maintenance of the new turbo engines. Often, the turbo cool-down procedure was never followed or even known to exist to some owners allowing the turbo to burn or "coke" oil onto the turbo's bearings causing early (sub 50,000 mile) failure prompting service or even complete engine replacement. Combined with the mechanic's lack of knowledge ultimately caused GM to cease production after April 1981.

Unfortunately, there is very little compatibility and low popularity compared to traditional Pontiac engines which has caused a lack of aftermarket and even replacement parts for the Turbo 301 engines, particularly harmonic balancers which were EXTERNALLY balanced versus the internal balance of the standard Pontiac family.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Ehh hate those years. 301 was junk no matter how it rolled out of the factory..
    agree for once lol

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Ah the tribulations of early 80's turbocharging.now a days you can buy a 4 cyl direct injected turbocharged engine that produces 274 horsepower and gets 34 mpgs.progress is wonderful! Hyundai Sonata 2.0T in showrooms very soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Information