Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bought a ws6...now I find the problems

Well i bought a 98 ws6 blk 6spd today and its an absolute blast to drive and I really do love this car. But unforutnately I started noticing more problems today. I had a mechanic look over the car before I bought it but Im not sure if he did very good.

1. Now I noticed a whine coming from the rear end whenever i press the gas at 55mph or more....the mechanic did say I need to have the pinion seal replaced and fluids changed. Think this might fix anything?

2. Came home and was checking air pressure in tires. Tires said to fill to 51psi which I thought was really high. But the back passenger tire was nearly flat so when I was airing it up whenever it would reach around 35psi there would be a loud rushing of air noise for about 15 seconds and then it would completly stop. No clue what is going on there. The other tires didnt do that.

3. every once in a while the clutch pedal gets stuck when im letting off of it and i have to use my foot to pull it up the rest of the way.

anyone have any insights or reassuring words haha

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

1. Our rears are known to leak, but they are also known to break VERY easily if abused. They are an achilles heel. The rear end whine you are talking about sounds like it could be a problem, how loud is the whine? Are they stock gears or aftermarket? Some aftermarket gears like to whine even when properly installed, that might be what you are experiencing. What mods are done to the car?

2. Air pressure should be around 30-32 all the way around.

3. The clutch probably needs a master cylinder/slave upgrade. Pre 01-02 cars have this problem where the clutch stocks to the floor when you get on it, upgrading gets rid of the problem. How many miles on the current clutch? Might be time to upgrade while you are in there.

The rear end whine worries me, does it howl or get real loud?
    Last edited by Hurley711; 01-06-2007 at 09:03 PM.

The car is completly stock and even has single exhaust? The rear end noise is a constant high pitch noise that is pretty loud but its constant in pitch and volume. You only hear it when you press the gas and you are going over 50mph.

How much does a master slave/cylinder uprgrade usually run? Im guessing alot of labor

NBM
    2000 WS6

You did buy a 9 year old car so some problems can be expected.

Stock or not that bad boy could have been rode hard a few times in it's life.........
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    How much does a master slave/cylinder uprgrade usually run? Im guessing alot of labor
    Contact Fred Beans dealership in Limerick PA, or your local dealer for a price on the slave. Fred Beans always has good prices. As far as labor goes, maybe some peeps on here will be willing to help you out, where are you located? I would guess a shop would be in the $150-$200 range for that.

Others will chime in here, but the whine is what worries me.

As far as the single exhaust, yes that was exclusive to some/all of the 98 WS6 cars. Pretty rare from what I've read and heard.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Your whine in the rear is probably a bearing, If you plan on upgrading the rear to a 12-bolt I would bother with it. You have a nice car though 98 WS6 are rare due to that GM had a strike that year and not many Ws6's were made, That is awesome that the Stock Muffler with the single tip is there. I have one of those mufflers now on my 94 t/a. IF you decide to change it out, Keep it! dont junk it.

How many miles, and how much you get it for

The car is a blast to drive and I dont regret buying it at all...just sucks that there are all these little things that need to get fixed. It has 78,000 miles and I paid 9800. Its a little over kbb but from what I have seen in my area it was a decent deal for the exact car I wanted.

One other problem is that randomly (three times so far) my gears will grind or not even let me go into fourth and sometimes third. High or low rpms. Usually when Im downshifting...any ideas?

Thanks for the help guys

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Gear whine is nothing to worry about in my opinion. My Strange 12 bolt howls like a scalded dog but takes 5,500 rpm dumps no problem. My stock 10 bolt howled good too. Sold it to a guy with a cammed SS and he made about 40 passes on it and it never broke.
    The tire could have a loose valve stem. A $2.00 tool can fix that. If it leaks just get it patched, not plugged.
    The hydraulic clutch system may just have some air in it and need bleeding, or may need a slave upgrade. If you're not mechanically inclined have the dealer look at it.
    Hope you get your issues resolved to your likeing, sounds like a sweet TA.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Replacing the pinion seal alone won't fix the whine. Probably worn bearings somewhere or a beat-up rear. I'd upgrade to a 12-bolt or 9" or drive this rear until it pukes.

The SOTL was a pretty good exhaust, better flowing / louder than the '99+ WS6 exhausts. I still have mine! Don't expect huge HP increases w/ an aftermarket cat-back. Headers and ORY is where you'll find power.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

ArticWhite&Black ws6 Rims
    2001 TA Ws.6

Sorry to bother you

Hey guys sorry to bother everyone, But I am a 19 year old female and im looking to buy a ws6, I dont want a convertable,has to be T top And it absolutely has to be a 6 speed, Im wanting red but depending on the car I can deal with almost any color. Mileage dosent matter, high or low! I prefer a 99 but will settle with anything above 99 I'm not willing to pay over book price!! I was just wondering if anyone has any websites I can visit or if anyone on here might have one for sale, I live in west virginia and they are not a popular car around here. I currently have a 99 v6 firebird, If the woman comes through tomorrow it will be sold!! Any one have any suggestions for me?

Yea I figured the pinion seal change wasnt really going to do much but I was hoping the fluid change and adding some of the GM additive would quiet it down some.
    I was having all kinds of problems shifting today...couldnt get into any gears every once in a while with out bad grinding...so I added some fluid to the clutch or whatever that is by the brake fluid and it helped alot...the only problem now is sometimes when im downshifting from 6th or 5th to 4th it will grind going into 4th...only on downshifts though never up...anyone have any idea why? It irratates me because I use that shift alot.

O and two other things. My low coolant light came on so I checked it out and the coolant was super gumpy and thick and gross looking. I added some water though and the light still stays on? Temps are normal.

If when i press the brakes the car shudders does this mean I need to turn the rotors?
    Thanks Guys

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by lady_hot_rod View Post
    Hey guys sorry to bother everyone, But I am a 19 year old female and im looking to buy a ws6, I dont want a convertable,has to be T top And it absolutely has to be a 6 speed, Im wanting red but depending on the car I can deal with almost any color. Mileage dosent matter, high or low! I prefer a 99 but will settle with anything above 99 I'm not willing to pay over book price!! I was just wondering if anyone has any websites I can visit or if anyone on here might have one for sale, I live in west virginia and they are not a popular car around here. I currently have a 99 v6 firebird, If the woman comes through tomorrow it will be sold!! Any one have any suggestions for me?
    yep go buy a honda if you dont want to pay over kbb! lol jk you are talking to almost nothing but guys with modded cars. if you want a nice 99+ dont worry about 1-2k more to get what you want. trust me these cars are not cheap to drive!
    Click for full size

2001 TA Ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    yep go buy a honda if you dont want to pay over kbb! lol jk you are talking to almost nothing but guys with modded cars. if you want a nice 99+ dont worry about 1-2k more to get what you want. trust me these cars are not cheap to drive!

Yeh I totally understand and if it is 100% what I want I will pay the extra.. however someone tried to sell me a trans am with no mods, needed new paint and had 130k miles on it for 11500 ummm no i dont think so!! Lol no thanks I dont buy junk (honda) Im buying another car to build up for the drag strip hunny! Just because im a female dosent mean I have to drive slow ass junk!! Are you saying there is something wrong with me wanting the car I want, I can out drive most the guys in my state!!!!

yellow
    2002 CETA

I would definately get a coolant flush immediately if not sooner! I have not changed my rotors yet as I don't even have 5000 mile on my car but from my recent experiences with brakes the newer rotors are not worth getting turned you should just replace them along with pads. If you are getting that flush ask them to take a look at the brakes at no charge just for an opinion.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Yeh I totally understand and if it is 100% what I want I will pay the extra.. however someone tried to sell me a trans am with no mods, needed new paint and had 130k miles on it for 11500 ummm no i dont think so!! Lol no thanks I dont buy junk (honda) Im buying another car to build up for the drag strip hunny! Just because im a female dosent mean I have to drive slow ass junk!! Are you saying there is something wrong with me wanting the car I want, I can out drive most the guys in my state!!!!
    no no im not saying that you shouldn't buy the car you want. just not rob someones thread, go to vehicles for sell or want and post that you want a ta. and dont call me honey you said your 19? right? then i have a feeling your not a good driver could be wrong but your last name is not andretti. every young kid says they can drive i know im kinda young myself. i thought i could drive untill 3-4 years later i knew i really had no clue.

2001 TA Ws.6

okay well anyways i was saying i outdrive most the guys my age!! and im almost 20 so ur not that much older than me, I like quarter mile drag racing.. its legal,and fun! I dont want to run 4 10's or 4 11 gears I want more like 2 73's, I want to throw a cam in it without doing much head work, changing springs wont be a problem 2 to 6500 cam range would be fine. I want a 6 speed manual something I can throw a zoom clutch kit in, I need to figure out what exaust to go with definatly not flow master junk! so any ideas on building a nice little street car? I think the LS1 is a good motor to go with! and yes When i get this site figured out I will go post my own thread!

As for the guy who posted this thread, First thing sounds like the ring pinion
    has some wear thats where the whine is comming from around 55, secondly the tire sounds like maybe a vaule stem is leaking for a few seconds then sealing. for the clutch sticking your slave cylinder is going bad, The replacement is like a 1/2 hr job no biggie!
    sounds like you have a circulation problem you need to get the system flushed. and the shimmy when you break is the front rotor is worped, best bet is to get a new one just as cheap, get the ones with the holes that keeps them from heating up and worping.

Im new at this thread stuff so sorry for bombing yours!

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

okay well anyways i was saying i outdrive most the guys my age!! and im almost 20 so ur not that much older than me, I like quarter mile drag racing.. its legal,and fun! I dont want to run 4 10's or 4 11 gears I want more like 2 73's, I want to throw a cam in it without doing much head work, changing springs wont be a problem 2 to 6500 cam range would be fine. I want a 6 speed manual something I can throw a zoom clutch kit in, I need to figure out what exaust to go with definatly not flow master junk! so any ideas on building a nice little street car? I think the LS1 is a good motor to go with! and yes When i get this site figured out I will go post my own thread!

As for the guy who posted this thread, First thing sounds like the ring pinion
    has some wear thats where the whine is coming from around 55, secondly the tire sounds like maybe a vaule stem is leaking for a few seconds then sealing. for the clutch sticking your slave cylinder is going bad, The replacement is like a 1/2 hr job no biggie!
    sounds like you have a circulation problem you need to get the system flushed. and the shimmy when you break is the front rotor is worped, best bet is to get a new one just as cheap, get the ones with the holes that keeps them from heating up and worping.

Im new at this thread stuff so sorry for bombing yours!
    yeah um do you know anything about cars? im not trying to pic on you but....
    p.s. if you want a drag only car then you would want a a4 built up with a stall. yes a ls1 is nice but you might want to go with a iron block if your only going to race it then a 408 stroker would be a nice choice. and its called a slot/drilled rotor not "the ones with the holes". and those have a tendency to warp.

2001 TA Ws.6

First you can run low 10's in the quarter and still be perfectly street legal! there is no law in WV, I could run my car here with out a hood!! I am talking about a set of power stop cross drilled rotors! I have had better luck with them than the power slot rotors, I live in the mountains and I have done 125 + and came down on them several times and never had a problem! havent had one to warp yet, not saying that they couldnt just saying that they havent! ive had good luck with them being a cheaper rotor! 100 bucks a peice is better than 165 a peice! the reason I was recommending the cross drilled because they are better than the factory ones for a cheap rotor! I want to run clutch not a auto with a stall!! I know a good bit about cars Ive grown up around them my whole life!! you do mean to pick because the fact that im a female! I get it all the time! not saying that you might not know more than me, but im not completely clueless like guys want all females to be!!
    I have a LS1 block that I built up it has ls1 4 barrel intake manifold this carburated combination should produce about 446 hp at 6200 rpms 412 ft ibs of tourque at 5000 rpm, it has 6 bolt main iron crank high strenght metal connecting rods high preformance cast alluminum ls6 style cylinder heads with 2.00" intake / 155 exaust valves hydraulic roller cam 500 lift 203 duration 10.9 1 compression cast alluminum pistons.... I was going to put this motor in my firebird but there was wiring problems!! So thats why I am looking for the ls1 6 speed so i can just pull the motor out and redo it! thats why im not worried about high mileage! i want a street rod good for both street and strip!!!
    Last edited by lady_hot_rod; 01-08-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typeos oh well u get it anyways!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information