Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

borla vs. loudmouth

This is a discussion on borla vs. loudmouth within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I had to wait for a long time also but It was definitely worth it! trust me Wait...

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I had to wait for a long time also but It was definitely worth it! trust me Wait

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Either wait...or get the Magnaflow.

Spend the money you eventually get on longtubes.
    Longtunes + Magnaflow = SEX!!!

white -RIP-
    2000 Trans Am

awwww i dont know what to do =(
    i listened to...
    -magnaflow: totally bad ass when driving but didnt sound so good just standing
    -LM- sounded decent..but like everyone says with other mods its horrible
    -borla- ahhh better SEX!

and i can get these for...
    -magnaflow-475
    -LM-340
    -borla-710 (plus i dont like the intercooled tips= +$$ for new tips)
    (+shipping and about 100 instillation)

yeah i cant get borla. i keep going back and forth... i have to stop this, im just teasing myself!

it has to be LM for now.

...i think
    (i'll probably change my mind a couple times before morning)
    Last edited by Jane_says; 03-09-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Either wait...or get the Magnaflow.

Spend the money you eventually get on longtubes.
    Longtunes + Magnaflow = SEX!!!
    You know, from the start, I was like "yeah right, im just getting a huge friggin X pipe and doing True Duals" but... from what I've heard, The HP gains arent really different. So, I'm now leaning more towards Magnaflow. Borla is super expensive, I mean, a catback system for 800 bucks? I'd rather spend that money on Kooks headers. I'll probably get JetHots first though, then Kooks later on. Even though I've heard installing headers is like peeling off a band-aid really slow.

white -RIP-
    2000 Trans Am

hmm im starting to lean towards magnaflow... im so indecisive!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow!!!!

white -RIP-
    2000 Trans Am

ok im gonna go a little off topic......
    but i need new speakers that are at the back seats (mainly bass) cuz one of them ..vibrates with even the slightest hint of bass and its starting to really get to me. and i know damn close to nothing about car audio stuff so i gotta couple questions-

1. how do i know the measurements of the speakers? like.. is there something online that tells you what size you need for which speaker? or am i supposed to get out the ruler?

2. a friend suggested kenwood- but a 3 way 170 watt 6x9 speaker is 80$ (100 on their site) while the same size, 4 way, 240 watt speaker from sony xplod is only 60$. is there a hidden difference there? cuz im thinkin' sony will do just fine at that price... lol

3. (just added) whats the diff between 2,3, and 4 way? i'd assume quality increases with each, but do you guys have any specific answers?
    Last edited by Jane_says; 03-09-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Oh boy, an audio question...

Well, it sounds like the speaker is blown. That's where the physical speaker is damaged from distortion. Yes, you turned it up too loud one too many times, a bass note hit, distorted from being overamplified and messed up the speaker. You can go to www.sounddomain.com and enter the car you have. They will tell you what will fit in your car.

1. The door and rear speakers in the sail panels by the seats are all 6.5" diameter. 6x9's ain't going to fit. In the rear trunk area you have 4" speakers I believe.

2. I'm partial to Pioneer. I've had Pioneer in my last 10 cars, never been disappointed. Are you replacing the stock radio too? If so you might want to consider jumping out the Monsoon amp that is by the spare tire. It's a really crappy amplifier and is the reason that you are buying speakers.

3. 2, 3, and 4 way are designations of how many separate speaker elements are on one fixture. A two way will have the main speaker itself, then it will have a smaller "tweeter" in the center of the main speaker. The bigger part produces the bass and midrange, the tweeter takes care of the higher range (say cymbals, stuff like that). Three ways have three elements, the bigger part covers less frequency, the other two cover the mid and upper part. Four way... you get the idea. So yes, four ways do have advantages over the previous two.

There are also component speakers, but we won't be going into that. That's basically where you have separate units for separate things. Think of the three way speaker, but in three separate physical devices. That means having to drill holes and mount stuff...

You need to think about if you are going to be installing subs or anything like that too. I personally wouldn't because that tends to attract cops and thieves, and adds weight which reduces performance.

If you are going to impulse buy, just get the LM. It's a good exhaust for the money. And exhaust sound is a totally subjective thing. Have you ever listened to it from inside the car? One plus for the Corsa is no interior resonance. Resonance is where the exhaust is heard inside the car and it is LOUD! Just a thought for you.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chevythunder17 View Post
    Oh boy, an audio question...

Well, it sounds like the speaker is blown. That's where the physical speaker is damaged from distortion. Yes, you turned it up too loud one too many times, a bass note hit, distorted from being overamplified and messed up the speaker. You can go to www.sounddomain.com and enter the car you have. They will tell you what will fit in your car.

1. The door and rear speakers in the sail panels by the seats are all 6.5" diameter. 6x9's ain't going to fit. In the rear trunk area you have 4" speakers I believe.

2. I'm partial to Pioneer. I've had Pioneer in my last 10 cars, never been disappointed. Are you replacing the stock radio too? If so you might want to consider jumping out the Monsoon amp that is by the spare tire. It's a really crappy amplifier and is the reason that you are buying speakers.

3. 2, 3, and 4 way are designations of how many separate speaker elements are on one fixture. A two way will have the main speaker itself, then it will have a smaller "tweeter" in the center of the main speaker. The bigger part produces the bass and midrange, the tweeter takes care of the higher range (say cymbals, stuff like that). Three ways have three elements, the bigger part covers less frequency, the other two cover the mid and upper part. Four way... you get the idea. So yes, four ways do have advantages over the previous two.

There are also component speakers, but we won't be going into that. That's basically where you have separate units for separate things. Think of the three way speaker, but in three separate physical devices. That means having to drill holes and mount stuff...

You need to think about if you are going to be installing subs or anything like that too. I personally wouldn't because that tends to attract cops and thieves, and adds weight which reduces performance.

If you are going to impulse buy, just get the LM. It's a good exhaust for the money. And exhaust sound is a totally subjective thing. Have you ever listened to it from inside the car? One plus for the Corsa is no interior resonance. Resonance is where the exhaust is heard inside the car and it is LOUD! Just a thought for you.
    Corsa is noice and expensive too

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    Corsa is noice and expensive too
    Like I said, I had a Borla catback. It was expensive and the interior resonation around the 2200 RPM area was deafening. Total turn off.

white -RIP-
    2000 Trans Am

ok so i need a new amp if i want these speakers to last?
    and would you reccoment replacing all the speakers or just the two that are messed up? i do like listning to music loud, but i might as well wait untill the other ones are messed up before i replace them right? ..there's no use in fixing something thats not broken

and im still debating between the exhausts... i dont mind loud resonation, i kinda like that. but i dont think ive ever heard a loud mouth in person and known it. i have a friend who has gmmg but i think it sounds horable (but dont try telling him that lol)

i want a relatively smooth, powerful sounding exhaust, and ive been listening to them all on ls1sounds but they sound different, even between same model stock cars. so i dont wanna get one thinking it will turn out like my favorite on and it ends up sucking.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Real men go LOUDMOUTH!!!

the videos in my sig put this discussion to rest once and for all...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Duals > ______

Want loud?? I will get some video of me on the highway with the cutouts open tomorrow.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_says View Post
    ok so i need a new amp if i want these speakers to last?
    and would you reccoment replacing all the speakers or just the two that are messed up? i do like listning to music loud, but i might as well wait untill the other ones are messed up before i replace them right? ..there's no use in fixing something thats not broken
    You do not need a new amp, just don't turn the radio up so high. Distortion kills speakers, not wattage. You can hear distortion pretty easily; turn it up until you can't hear the words clearly. It sounds awful. You probably want to replace all four 6.5" speakers at once. Probably cost you anywhere between $150 to $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_says
    and im still debating between the exhausts... i dont mind loud resonation, i kinda like that. but i dont think ive ever heard a loud mouth in person and known it. i have a friend who has gmmg but i think it sounds horable (but dont try telling him that lol)

i want a relatively smooth, powerful sounding exhaust, and ive been listening to them all on ls1sounds but they sound different, even between same model stock cars. so i dont wanna get one thinking it will turn out like my favorite on and it ends up sucking.
    I really don't think you'd go wrong with the Loudmouth. For the money, you really can't beat it. I've had four different setups; Borla, Mufflex 4", Loudmouth, and none. Loudmouth was the best.

white -RIP-
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Chevythunder17 View Post
    I really don't think you'd go wrong with the Loudmouth. For the money, you really can't beat it. I've had four different setups; Borla, Mufflex 4", Loudmouth, and none. Loudmouth was the best.
    yeah i made my final decision- no turning back
    i'm going with LM. with my tight financial situation, 500 looks really nice compared to 1k.

and is 110 a good price for installation for a clamp on?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

$450 for a Magnaflow.

white -RIP-
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    $450 for a Magnaflow.
    yeah but i got
    340 -exhaust
    70 -shipping (gay)
    110 -instilation

ive seen them with shipping costs of 25 bucks, but it was 390 on sale, so it'd come out to be pretty much the same.

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

$110 isn't that bad. It takes about two hours or so to swap it out, give or take.

Congrats on a good decision. I think you'll find it sounds awesome.

arctic white
    2000 trans am

Go to new era performance.com. Their on the sponsors page (LOUDMOUTH) 377.95 with FREE SHIPPING.You cant beat that, i bought mine from them a couple weeks ago. Loudmouth is a great choice you will love the sound.

do it yourself all you need is :

15mm sockett
    ratchett
    floor jack
    jack stands
    $10 hack saw (worked for me)
    6 pack (soft drink of choice) since your under age!
    the hardest part is getting out of your car after the install.
    Last edited by arctic T/A; 03-10-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_says View Post
    yeah i made my final decision- no turning back
    i'm going with LM. with my tight financial situation, 500 looks really nice compared to 1k.

and is 110 a good price for installation for a clamp on?
    forget paying someonme to do it, you can do it yourself in about 1.5 hours. it's really easy. hell i did mine by myself, with a floor jack and jack stands.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information