Thread: Boral ?

98T/Aformula

Boral ?

Im looking to add some new exhaust to the T/A this Christmas and I liked the Borla adjustable system, all though its a bit costly, would it be worth it spending the extra money or finding something less expencive and get the same results ? O and what would be a good cam to get, I drive the car durring the weekend mainly but dont want anything to crazy ?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

LMFAO...don't just throw money at your car man. A cam won't help if you don't have 4.10 rear gears and all the rockers/springs for it. Also, you'll want the car to be able to breath better with a cam, so the stock exhast system [from manifolds back] has to go. Make baby steps with modifications.

98T/Aformula
    I was planning on doing the exhaust first before anything, my current mods are SLP cold air iniduction, lid, K and N, bellow, 90mm MAF, under drive pullies, hypertec cp3, my next step was the Borla, then cam with new lock, retainers, and springs, I was nver just planning on tossing a cam in there, I should have explained that my bad...

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    LMFAO...don't just throw money at your car man. A cam won't help if you don't have 4.10 rear gears and all the rockers/springs for it. Also, you'll want the car to be able to breath better with a cam, so the stock exhast system [from manifolds back] has to go. Make baby steps with modifications.
    I'm laughing my f#$!*ng ass off. Why would you possibly tell someone that they need a 4.10 gear to run a cam.

Yes you will need to upgrade springs, locks, etc... If you have an auto you'll need a stall if you go much bigger than stock. Also, yes you will need to upgrade your exhaust...

I would make the upgades to your exhaust, etc before you do a cam..jmpo

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i still have stock 3.42's ....and im camed, stroked, and headed..lol....i cant put it to the ground now........410s would make my car even MORE useless...unless of course i want to put some drags on the rear and shortly after a new rear end....sounds expensive....

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula View Post
    I was planning on doing the exhaust first before anything, my current mods are SLP cold air iniduction, lid, K and N, bellow, 90mm MAF, under drive pullies, hypertec cp3, my next step was the Borla, then cam with new lock, retainers, and springs, I was nver just planning on tossing a cam in there, I should have explained that my bad...
    I would remove the HPP3 tuning first. Secondly you need to get a set of subframe connectors to help stiffen up the underside of your car before you start twisting it up by making too much power. LCA's would be a nice addition to get the power to the ground. Borla is nice, but as you know it is pricey. There a few CB systems that flow just as well, but don;t have removable plates. Hooker and Magnaflow are favs around here, both under $500. As far as the cam goes, no need for that until you get a nice set of LT headers to let the exhaust breathe better, exhaust before intake brother. Don't neglect the suspension. Also the 90mm MAF, what brand is it?

pewter

agreed.my suspension is stock stilll........car has way to much power for what it feels like it can handle......ill fix that lil prob in teh spring

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    agreed.my suspension is stock stilll........car has way to much power for what it feels like it can handle......ill fix that lil prob in teh spring
    Grabbed SFC, LCA, and a PHR as my first couple of mods. Amazing the diff in the way the car hooked for less than $500.

pewter

planning on koni sa's, bmr springs, adju phr, spoon or bmr sway bars, ..already have a bmr tq arm....thats my only sus mod.........now what else should i be doing beside all that?? ...u mentioned lower control arms.....nessesary? ..i see there about 400 beans.....bmr's ones

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

planning on koni sa's, bmr springs, adju phr, spoon or bmr sway bars, ..already have a bmr tq arm....thats my only sus mod.........now what else should i be doing beside all that?? ...u mentioned lower control arms.....nessesary? ..i see there about 400 beans.....bmr's ones
    LCA shouldn't be over $150-$160, and yes they help the car hook better and reduce wheel-hop .

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you need to stay a mod in AAG.
    you do not need gears for a cam.

now back to the question, you will need headers and a catback before a cam.
    you will not even get half the power the cam could give because the car wont be able to breath.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

pewter

how much more power do u think i would put down with a good set of headers??..say some kooks........puts down 395/399 hp/tq to the rear wheels now........well that was when the engine/383 package was fresh..nearly 0 miles on it.........exaust is stock besides a borla cat back

black

how much more power do u think i would put down with a good set of headers??..say some kooks........puts down 395/399 hp/tq to the rear wheels now........well that was when the engine/383 package was fresh..nearly 0 miles on it.........exaust is stock besides a borla cat back
    a good 30 rwhp is going to be easy on a 382 stroker

pewter

NICE..thats what i figured.....maybe in 2 springs.....dont think i will be able to afford headers after doing the suspension work and buying new tires......its nice to leave more things to do anyways..

black

NICE..thats what i figured.....maybe in 2 springs.....dont think i will be able to afford headers after doing the suspension work and buying new tires......its nice to leave more things to do anyways..
    i would do the headers first then tires then suspension.
    thank me later

pewter

i have lots of trouble putting the power i have now to the ground....and i figure ill get used to the way it sounds now first ...then ill be more excited hearing it after the headers....just picked it up in june......it sounds nasty now.i love it

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

from what the local ls1 shop told me here is that a cam with gears will produce far more results than with stock gears. just going with what i heard.

ps, not a mod-just the graphics sponsor

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

from what the local ls1 shop told me here is that a cam with gears will produce far more results than with stock gears. just going with what i heard.

ps, not a mod-just the graphics sponsor
    All gears will do is get you to the cams powerband quicker, so technically he has a point. Problem is if you are making too much power with the new cam and you get 4.10 gears, you better know how to drive or you're gonna just sit there and spin wheels with all that power and those gears

98T/Aformula
    Its made by SLP

+1 SFC's

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5917

for a good price too

Thread Information