Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 Trans Am

Blown headgasket?

Got a quick question, how can you tell if you have a blown head gasket. Don't worry it's not on my ls1 but my daily driver. Just wanted to know what your guys' suggestions on what I check first should be....thanks for any help!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

does your engine bay smell like crap? do you see a leak? are you smoking? are you throwing codes? have you done a compression test?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what does your oil and anti-freezelook like?

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    does your engine bay smell like crap? do you see a leak? are you smoking? are you throwing codes? have you done a compression test?
    thanks for the quick reponse. I had a lot of white smoke pouring out of the rear of the vehicle..I turned it off immediately and let it sit for a couple of seconds, then tried to turn it back over and just heard a clunk. I have nothing leaking from underneath from what I could see. It had an undescribeable smell....Almost like "smoking breaks" or hot breaks.....

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what does your oil and anti-freezelook like?
    I didn't have a chance to look Orion as I was on my way to work and had a friend pick me up. But I will check that first thing when I get back to my truck at lunch. Are those the first two things I should check?

2000 Trans Am

Oh a couple more things....I did add some coolant because I noticed that it was low yesterday, and replaced the radiator cap because it was corroded.....not sure if either of those are significant or not.....to my situation

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

it sounds like you blew it. like orion said, check the oil to make sure it's not mixing with the coolant. that'll be your best indication.

2000 Trans Am

it sounds like you blew it. like orion said, check the oil to make sure it's not mixing with the coolant. that'll be your best indication.
    How hard is replacement? It's an 85 toyota pickup.....what will need replacing? just off the top of your head without looking at the engine of course From what I can gather from surfing online at the least a new head gasket (of course) new spark plugs, new oil, and new radiator fluid.....

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    How hard is replacement? It's an 85 toyota pickup.....what will need replacing? just off the top of your head without looking at the engine of course From what I can gather from surfing online at the least a new head gasket (of course) new spark plugs, new oil, and new radiator fluid.....
    shouldn't take longer than 9 hours

2000 Trans Am

shouldn't take longer than 9 hours
    Any gasket besides the head gasket that I should think of replacing while i'm in there....and will any of this affect the cylinders, etc......

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    thanks for the quick reponse. I had a lot of white smoke pouring out of the rear of the vehicle..I turned it off immediately and let it sit for a couple of seconds, then tried to turn it back over and just heard a clunk. I have nothing leaking from underneath from what I could see. It had an undescribeable smell....Almost like "smoking breaks" or hot breaks.....

I didn't have a chance to look Orion as I was on my way to work and had a friend pick me up. But I will check that first thing when I get back to my truck at lunch. Are those the first two things I should check?
    this is what kinda worries me.....what do you mean you just heard clunk? Did it try to turn over and stop or did it not do anything? Does it turn over now? Hopefully you didn't hydro-lock it.

2000 Trans Am

this is what kinda worries me.....what do you mean you just heard clunk? Did it try to turn over and stop or did it not do anything? Does it turn over now? Hopefully you didn't hydro-lock it.
    Well Orion, I stopped by where it was during lunch, and looked at the oil cap....oil looks good, looked at the radiator fluid, that looks good, looked at the dip stick and that looks fine. But I did take a look at where the spark plugs are and their is water seeping from them......I tried to start it and it turned over but runs like there's a cam in it....and not the good kind .....either way any of your suggestions would be much appreciated.~Chris

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

subscribed...

and a blown gasket looks like this...(2nd clip, 71 mustang, can't remember which..there were two, same color, stripes etc, but one was said mach1, the other boss 351 don't get it)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqD_6zyTX_k[/ame]
    Last edited by goof4080; 07-19-2010 at 12:30 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

a blown head gasket won't always show in the oil and water but normally will. Fact you have water seeping from around the plugs tells me it's either the gasket or cracked block. Just start tearing into it I guess. Sorry about your misfortune.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    subscribed...

and a blown gasket looks like this...(2nd clip, 71 mustang, can't remember which..there were two, same color, stripes etc, but one was said mach1, the other boss 351 don't get it)
    its cuz their both fords..lol

2000 Trans Am

a blown head gasket won't always show in the oil and water but normally will. Fact you have water seeping from around the plugs tells me it's either the gasket or cracked block. Just start tearing into it I guess. Sorry about your misfortune.
    Ok well I started tearing into it yesterday and just an update, the front two plugs were wet with water....the rear two WERE NOT...(it's a four cylinder)..how exactly (besides tearing it all the way down) will I know if it a cracked block or just a gasket?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

well you pretty much have to tear it down and inspect the head gasket for signs of failure. If it looks ok, then you need to start looking for cracks

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    well you pretty much have to tear it down and inspect the head gasket for signs of failure. If it looks ok, then you need to start looking for cracks
    Ok cool....I thought that maybe since it was only in the first couple of cylinders that maybe was a sign that it was just the gasket......

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Once you get it off, make sure you check the head to ensure that it is flat. It's possible that it is warped and a new gasket will only be a temporary fix.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Once you get it off, make sure you check the head to ensure that it is flat. It's possible that it is warped and a new gasket will only be a temporary fix.
    I'll take a look at that as well.....thanks for the suggestion!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Wont even last that long if it's warped...

It would really be best to have the head checked for cracks, decked, and presure tested while you have it off, weigh the cost of a remanded head against the specialty work and go from there.. This is the only why to be sure you're not putting a damaged head back on the engine. I can tell you from some experiance (reason I hate I4's) that if the head has damage you can't see, you'll have the fun of doing it all over again.. I would also suggest (from orig op) a complete top-end gasket set. You may not need or use them all but you'll have everything you'll need too... Better than trying to piece some kind of set together guessing..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information