Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blocking egr valve

This is a discussion on blocking egr valve within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I made a plate and put it under my egr valve blocking both holes i just wanted to know if ...

black
    firebird formula 99

blocking egr valve

I made a plate and put it under my egr valve blocking both holes i just wanted to know if its ok to do that i didnt wanna remove everything just not have carbon going back into the motor anymore

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes, thats ok. You might get a check engine light from the EGR not working. There is also a spark advance table in the computer programming that add timing during EGR operation. Since its no longer operating, you should have that table Zero'd out.
    A mail order tune from Frost can solve the SES light and EGR spark advance table issues.

black
    firebird formula 99

well i have a superchips tune now would that affect it? and does taking out the egr valve really do much?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Physically removing it and blocking off the holes saves weight and cleans up the underhood look. Might be a small performance gain from no recirculating the exhaust gases.

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Physically removing it and blocking off the holes saves weight and cleans up the underhood look. Might be a small performance gain from no recirculating the exhaust gases.
    What are the negative effects?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^More pollution, specifically NOx. Exhaust Gas Recirculation recirculates the exhaust into the combustion chambers to lower the heat in the cylinder, thus hindering NOx creation. NOx is created by high cylinder temperatures/lean mixtures.

Under full acceleration, the PCM dosen't use EGR, since the Air Fuel ratio is plenty rich enought to support lower combustion temps.

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

I just blocked off my EGR port on my manifold and I unplugged the wires from the EGR valve.

This made the Service Engine Light turn on, is there any special tuning I need to do for an egr-less motor

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    I just blocked off my EGR port on my manifold and I unplugged the wires from the EGR valve.

This made the Service Engine Light turn on, is there any special tuning I need to do for an egr-less motor
    Yes. you should have the codes disabled and the EGR ignition timing changed to zero. Without the ignition timing change you could have some detonation problems.
    Send your computer to Frost (one of our site sponsors). He'll get you all fixed up.

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yes. you should have the codes disabled and the EGR ignition timing changed to zero. Without the ignition timing change you could have some detonation problems.
    Send your computer to Frost (one of our site sponsors). He'll get you all fixed up.
    Egh, if that's the case... I'll hold off on the EGR delete until I get my new manifold, throttle body, and MAF. Then I'll get it tuned at a local shop.

Do you know the codes for the EGR?

Also, I've noticed that the engine is a lot smoother in the 1000 - 3000 rpm range. And from what I've heard, deleting the EGR does not actually increase top end HP.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Egh, if that's the case... I'll hold off on the EGR delete until I get my new manifold, throttle body, and MAF. Then I'll get it tuned at a local shop.

Also, I've noticed that the engine is a lot smoother in the 1000 - 3000 rpm range. And from what I've heard, deleting the EGR does not actually increase top end HP.

That is true. Verified now that you know EGR does not flow at full throttle. The minimal gain you might get would be from removal of the tube in the intake behind the TB, so it won't disrupt the air flow.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ive been wondering what to do with an ls6 intake i recently aquired too

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Why are you getting a new MAF? Something wrong with the stock? Aftermarket MAFs are not worth the extra tuning to get em' to work only half the time. If you don't have a Supercharger or a Turbo setup, save your $$$ for something else, stick with the OEM MAF.

black
    firebird formula 99

I bought a 85mm bbk throttle body for my car and bought the slp maf with it its also 85 mm so i wasted my money on the maf?

Red
    98 Trans Am

WEll with the SLP MAF I honestly never had an issue with it but alot of tuners say SLP MAFs casue issues in the fuel timing. I went to am OEM GM LS 85mm MAF since i went with all LS6 induction system plus! it was cheap.. like $50 plus 25 for shipping. Although thats still more then what i paid for my SLP MAF I got mine for free lol.
    I will say you paid a bit much for the your setup though. I bought my 80mm TB for $80 and the 85mm MAF for $75 off ebay brand new. The TB nice but the MAF you could have spend you money else where for somthing better.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdformula99 View Post
    I bought a 85mm bbk throttle body for my car and bought the slp maf with it its also 85 mm so i wasted my money on the maf?
    pretty much......the stock maf is plenty. As long as you have it though I would get tuned for it and move on.

black
    firebird formula 99

A tune like a dyno shop would do or? I have the superchips 91 pref on it now oh and do i have to get a tune for the throttle body to? i know thats a stupid question but

98 Formula
    06 duramax

A tune like a dyno shop would do or? I have the superchips 91 pref on it now oh and do i have to get a tune for the throttle body to? i know thats a stupid question but
    ideally you'll want to tune for those mods as a group....if you plan on any other mods in the near future do those first before getting the tune. Most dyno shops that tune can probably hook you up but get references. For the mods you have a frost mail order wouldn't be a bad option just due to the cost per mod ratio. The only thing is tuning for that MAF via mail order.....you'll want to ask frost about that.
    With that superchips tune I can almost guarantee you're getting some detonation with those mods....the only way to know for sure is log the car and see what's going on with it. I'm sure that tuner bumps the timing up and you're still running the egr adder so that's why I'm guessing you're getting some detonation. If it were me I'd probably sell that superchips tuner and get a frost mail order and have money left over plus a better tune.

black
    firebird formula 99

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    ideally you'll want to tune for those mods as a group....if you plan on any other mods in the near future do those first before getting the tune. Most dyno shops that tune can probably hook you up but get references. For the mods you have a frost mail order wouldn't be a bad option just due to the cost per mod ratio. The only thing is tuning for that MAF via mail order.....you'll want to ask frost about that.
    With that superchips tune I can almost guarantee you're getting some detonation with those mods....the only way to know for sure is log the car and see what's going on with it. I'm sure that tuner bumps the timing up and you're still running the egr adder so that's why I'm guessing you're getting some detonation. If it were me I'd probably sell that superchips tuner and get a frost mail order and have money left over plus a better tune.
    Yeahhh ive been told that about the superchips by alota people wish i would of known this is my first car i can tune ive always had carbureted motors so i thought superchips was good cuz there such a big name i shoulda did a lil more studying up thanks for the advice tho ill be checking out frost

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Yeahhh ive been told that about the superchips by alota people wish i would of known this is my first car i can tune ive always had carbureted motors so i thought superchips was good cuz there such a big name i shoulda did a lil more studying up thanks for the advice tho ill be checking out frost
    the good news is there's a sucker born every minute you shouldn't have any trouble at all getting your money back on that tuner......if you bought it used. Please tell me you bought it used??? If you bought it new you're probably gonna take a beating on it if you decide to sell it.

black
    firebird formula 99

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the good news is there's a sucker born every minute you shouldn't have any trouble at all getting your money back on that tuner......if you bought it used. Please tell me you bought it used??? If you bought it new you're probably gonna take a beating on it if you decide to sell it.
    HA yeahhhhhhh i bought it new

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information